Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Swifts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Swifts Forum

Talkris   Metalsapo   Jimbolizard  
 Member  Message

Talkris
View Profile

My swift just had a baby!

I have a male and a female emerald swift, and when I was cleaning the cage yesterday I discovered a new addition. The little guy can’t be more then two days old. I found two others, but sadly they didn’t make it. I removed the little one from the parents cage and put him in his own little box with some substrate and a leaf to hide under (yes, he’s -that- small). I have a few pinhead crickets in with him, but I don’t know what else he could possible eat or if he’s even fast enough to eat those. No one around here sells pin heads, so i breed my own crickets (this is mostly to save money on crickets because I go through over 100 a week between all my herps), but I wasn’t expecting babies until spring so I don’t have enough crickets put aside for him. How long can a baby live without sufficient food? And what else could be offered? All the worms are bigger then him. -_-

12/28/08  08:04pm

Metalsapo
View Profile

Message To: Talkris   In reference to Message Id: 1921899

I kow how hard it is to feed a very tiny emerald swift, so, you must try with all its in your hands to catch small insects, or separate small crickets.
I had 7 babies, i have only one left.

02/03/09  01:48pm

Jimbolizard
View Profile

Message To: Talkris   In reference to Message Id: 1921899

Did your swift baby/babies survive? (those little white/yellow house spiders make good baby food. With a couple missing legs, the baby has an easier time getting to them. And the spiny’s LOVE spiders... and flies.) - jimbolizard

02/21/09  11:06am

Back to Swifts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area