Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Swifts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Swifts Forum

Weecreekers   Froggz37   Dinkanber   Weecreekers  
 Member  Message

Weecreekers
View Profile

My Swift keeps changing habits

My son and I adopted an Emerald Swift about 8 months ago. Just when we think we understand his routine, he changes it. For a while he was burrowing under his bark for most of the day and coming out between 4-6 pm. Now he rarely burrows, spending a lot of time on the top of his cage. We have unfortunately had to move him a lot in the 8 months and I wonder if he’s just stressed out? Was he a happier lizard when he was staying under the bark? (He seems to be eating well throughout) I do not have a background sheet on the tank. Should I? I have tried to get the basking light just right for him. I just want him to be happy. Thanks for any input.

04/05/08  11:25pm

Froggz37
View Profile

Message To: Weecreekers   In reference to Message Id: 1691057

Most likely when he was buried under the bark in the enclosure he was hiding from stress. I’d say now that he’s out and active he’s less stressed.

What is the temp of your basking area for him? Hanging on the top of the enclosure is pretty normal but it can be reduced a larger enclosure.

Does he eat in front of you yet?

Some swifts enjoy being misted, I work at a petstore and when I mist their enclosure I’ll have a fight going over the best spot to get misted.

04/07/08  11:38am

Dinkanber
View Profile

Message To: Froggz37   In reference to Message Id: 1692887

Have you changed your uvb light.they go out every 6 months or so even if the light still works.I have noticed my spineys hang out on there screen right under the uvb when it is getting old.I dont know if thats what it is or not but after I change it the always just bask

04/08/08  08:23am

Weecreekers
View Profile

Message To: Froggz37   In reference to Message Id: 1692887

Wow. I never thought about if he’s eaten in front of me. What a great question. He did a couple times early on but hasn’t in a good long while. In the last few days he has been "perking up" I guess you’d say. He was looking really green yesterday which I trust is a good thing. I don’t really know the temp of his basking area. I’ll look into that. He does seem to like the misting thing, too. Thanks a bunch for your help!

04/09/08  12:12am

Back to Swifts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area