Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Spiders Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jare   Jare   Jare   EvilTrailMix   Jare   Jare   Jare   EvilTrailMix   Jare   EvilTrailMix   Jare   Jare   Jare   EvilTrailMix  

Member  Message

Jare
View Profile

Happy new year all! .. So.. stuck in moult..

Hiya, happy new year and holidays, hope it’s been splendid for all you arachniphiles! Here’s my deal.. I got to ring my new year in watching my rosie begin her moulting process (whom I’ve had around for almost a decade now). Exciting at first, indeed! What a way to start a new year! I think she’s getting old though as it seems to be proving more difficult.. I’ll give all the details as it’s always more helpful for anyone who wants to give their two cents..
Been watching her the past few days/week, refusing food etc. She started sitting directly in her water dish, which I’ve never seen before, so I took to misting a little more frequently. This is where I think the age might be coming into effect..
Every other moult of hers that I’ve witnessed, she’s managed to flip over, this time not so lucky. Did a bit of flailing about on her side but couldn’t get herself over so she started moulting laying flat, which I’m aware isn’t too uncommon. Here’s the concern though..
Normally, it’ll take maybe 12 hours at the most from start to finish, but this has been probably 16 to 18 hours since she started the process, yet the only change I’ve seen is the top of her abdomen has dropped off.. that’s about it.. Which hasn’t happened before, it’s always been one piece, naturally.. The legs look like they’ve been working a little bit, they’re kind of kinked in the way like they would look after a couple hours on a typical moult but last movement I’ve seen was maybe 10 hours ago.. She’s still alive I’m sure of that, but how long is too long of a time to wait before no noticeable change or movement becomes a concern? That she might be stuck with her legs splayed out like this with no way to get out? ..
Thanks muchly if you’ve managed to read this all. I’ll admit, I don’t have the patience to sift through previous threads for something similar. I’ve been through loops of dead end googling, mostly all coming up with T’s partially stuck in a moult, not the entire body.. it’s 330am for me now and I’m buzzing on energy drinks just looking to get a little bit of a clue for somebody who might have been through something similar.. I know nobody has a direct answer as every moult is different.. but maybe there’s something I’m missing.. Thanks again for getting through this all if you have, cheers and happy new year, all the best :)

01/01/13  05:10am

Jare
View Profile

Message To: Jare   In reference to Message Id: 2288615

Well anyway, I’d delete this thread but I don’t know how.. patience isn’t my best virtue. I will just have to sit and not panic. Time will tell..

01/01/13  06:04am

Jare
View Profile

Message To: Jare   In reference to Message Id: 2288616

Mm so there was some slight leg movement, but her abdomen is a deep blueish purple.. don’t recall ever seeing it look like that before.

01/01/13  07:25am

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Jare   In reference to Message Id: 2288617

I just did some looking of my own, and I can’t find anything about the whole body being stuck either. Has she gotten any farther out? Here are a couple links to a Thread and a Video about people who have successfully assisted their tarantulas stuck in a molt.

Sorry I can’t be more help. Hope she comes through this Ok!

01/01/13  03:56pm

Jare
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2288626

Thank you for the links. If she gets out, I assume she will have difficulty finishing without aid, but so far I see no progression. nothing has come off any further.. Would it be harmful to mist over her entire body? I’ve kind of kept to misting the area surrounding her and the walls of the enclosure for humidity purposes but would it be helpful or would it be too stressful to be putting water directly to her?

01/01/13  04:21pm

Jare
View Profile

Message To: Jare   In reference to Message Id: 2288628

Kind of thinking she hasn’t survived.. with the lack of any movement (legs are in exact same position as they were 12 hours ago) but I also don’t want to go prodding at her to find out in case she is still alive and just cause unnecessary stress ..

01/01/13  04:37pm

Jare
View Profile

Message To: Jare   In reference to Message Id: 2288631

well she’s alive.. I misted over top of her and it seems her legs have raised up some, like she’s going to try to pull out of them soon.. I say soon but this has be an exhaustively long process..

01/01/13  04:40pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Jare   In reference to Message Id: 2288632

If it’s been that long, you might try putting a bit of water directly on her legs, and perhaps her abdomen, as her exoskeleton may not have separated properly or may have already re-hardened. Can you raise the humidity by misting and then covering most of the ventilation holes/lid of her tank? She might need a little extra to help keep her from drying out. Just make sure to keep the water away from her lungs, and leave her undisturbed as much as you can. It’s hard to know how much help is too much, and you don’t want to stress her more in an already stressful process.

01/01/13  05:16pm

Jare
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2288635

Humidity is very high. I don’t think it’s going to turn out too well.. The past 24 hours she’s been laying flat with legs stretched out. I’m still misting and keeping humidity up just in case.. How long can she live like this.. it sucks just seeing her sprawled out like that for so long

01/02/13  05:28pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Jare   In reference to Message Id: 2288712

The FAQ on Scott’s Tarantulas says you can try gently flipping your T upside down, since molting right side up is difficult. I don’t know how long she can stay like that, but I’ve read about some folks’ tarantulas being stuck for up to 3 days and still being alive. Has she made any progress?

01/03/13  11:09pm

Jare
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2288812

No progress.. legs stretched out like they’ve been since the beginning.. I dunno about the whole turning over thing.. it’s like she hasn’t even tried to start moulting at all, except her abdomen was shed on the first day.. since then just been laying flat looking paralyzed.
Could it be she’s too weak to moult right side up? considering she now has to work at pushing herself up off the ground to get out of the moult vs. being upside down and pushing it off of her instead.. that’s the only logic i can see in this situation.. if it’s even correct, i dunno..

01/04/13  05:18pm

Jare
View Profile

Message To: Jare   In reference to Message Id: 2288869

Also thanks so much for the help you’ve been giving, I really appreciate all that you’ve said. Thank you

01/04/13  05:19pm

Jare
View Profile

Message To: Jare   In reference to Message Id: 2288870

After closer inspection, I’m going to assume she’s dead now.. cleared some of substrate from around her.. won’t even wiggle her spinnerets.. no response to any movement. Thanks muchly for the support. I assume this moult just proved too difficult in her old age.. Thanks again.

01/04/13  05:26pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Jare   In reference to Message Id: 2288871

Aw, man. I’m sorry for your loss. You did what you could, but in the end, molting is a delicate process that can go wrong for any tarantula, and you’re probably right that she just couldn’t do it again at her age. Sounds like she had some good years, though.

01/05/13  02:44pm

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area