Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Spiders Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

The Lone Glider   Ghostvirus   The Lone Glider   Ghostvirus   Tattood_Photographer   The Lone Glider   EvilTrailMix  

Member  Message

The Lone Glider
View Profile

What to get?

Hello, I am thinking about getting a Tarantula... Never had one before, but I would like a really cool display animal..and I think Spiders would be nice as I already have amphibians. I raise my own gut loaded Crickets. and I have a ten gal tank I can put one in or a 20 gal tank? I really like blue, so I was wondering if the Cobalt Blue (Haplopelma lividum) Would be okay for a beginner? BTW I should mention, My friend had a spider(IDK what kind) and It bit me on the hand and I swelled up pretty bad and had to go to the hospitable.. So I would like one that isn’t small to where i couldn’t see it, and one that Wouldn’t bite me and one that isn’t very fast.. Is this possible? Lol. I feel I should give Spiders another chance. So I thought I would try and My friend said he would take it if I couldn’t keep it and he lives like right next door lol. so It woudn’t be stressful on the spider to make the move like that. At least not too much? I hope? I am willing to get a different spider.. Just want one thats slow, cool, and fairly not biting when it gets scared... Lol. Thanks!

09/22/12  04:53pm

Ghostvirus
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2281134

What to get?

For a beginner, I recommend a Rose hair. Cobalt Blues are more for advanced owners. Putting a Rose Hair in a 10 gallon is not a good idea. Now, putting a Rose hair in a 20 gallon is a VERY bad idea since their abdomens are very fragile and if it falls from that height it can die easily. If you got bit by a tarantula and you had to go to the hospital, then it isn’t a good idea to get one. There is no guarantee that any tarantula won’t bite, because they all do. Rose hairs are very easy to care for but can be moody and unpredictable. My rose hair is docile, though. Good luck.

09/22/12  11:49pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Ghostvirus   In reference to Message Id: 2281170

What to get?

okay. Thank you. I don’t plan on handling it. I just really wanted something different, looks cool and eats crickets. Can you tell me more about the rose hair?

09/23/12  12:44am

Ghostvirus
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2281176

What to get?

Sure. Rose hair tarantulas are usually docile. Usually. I’ve heard some people say they are nice and others say they can be unpredictable. Mine is nice, I let her climb on my hand and she does it easily. I don’t reccomend holding them unless it is necassary, like when cleaning their enclosure. Rose hairs are among some of the most popular species of tarantulas kept. They are easy to care for. Many Rose Hairs aren’t very active and are often nicknamed "pet rocks". They come from a region in Chile where it is very dry. You may hear from people that you should mist their enclosure, but don’t they like it dry. Humidity shouldn’t be high. A good idea would be to overfill their water dish just a bit about every week. This should be enough humidity. You can mist their tanks just a bit every week, but avoid spraying the tarantula; this will only stress them out. Avoid large tanks as this will make it hard for them to find their food and they won’t use the space. Also, their abdomens are very fragile so a tank with enough room for it to do its normal activities is enough, tanks ranging from 2-5 gallons.

09/25/12  12:06am

Tattood_Photographer
View Profile

Message To: Ghostvirus   In reference to Message Id: 2281337

What to get?

I’ve had Rose Hairs and as adults always cept them in a 10g tank never had an issue with he obviously depends on the spider but mine would be all over the place in her tank very docile, i cept her on half soil half reptic bark with a good size piece of rounded bark that was half way buried in the dirt so cave like, live plants about 5 diff succulents in her tank, also wanna say the sub-straight was is about 3.5 in deep. she does crawl to the top of the tank but its a short way up due to all the shrubbery and cave, ill post a pic. but over all never personally have had issues with a 10g have had mine for 5 plus yrs. not letting me ad pic sorry

10/01/12  06:36pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Tattood_Photographer   In reference to Message Id: 2281837

What to get?

Is there anything that could stay in a 20 gallon tank?

10/02/12  12:42am

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2281854

What to get?

You certainly can put a tarantula in a 20 gallon tank, it would just be excessive. Most tarantulas just wouldn’t use the space. Now, my Aphonopelma seemanni (Stripe knee tarantula) goes all over the place in her 17x15" Kritter Keeper. She’s very active, and loves to re-arrange her ’furniture’ and water dish. But 20 gallons is still really big.

Another reason fish tanks aren’t a great idea for tarantulas is that if they do climb up the side to any height, they can fall and get injured easily. You could get around that problem by filling up the tank with substrate until there was only a few inches between the ’ground’ and the lid, so there would be less space for your T to fall. However, speaking from experience, this makes a 10 gallon tank very, very heavy, so I would not recommend doing this to a 20 gallon.

01/01/13  04:12pm

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area