Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Spiders Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

JonesExotic   BelizeanBlast   Monitor_guy3113   EvilTrailMix   Monitor_guy3113  

Member  Message

JonesExotic
View Profile

I have a fear of my spiders -_-

K i got this baby pink toed tarantula, and idk if its a girl or a boy but i love her, and her name is Princess lol, but i have a fear of spiders, I’ve held her when she was smaller and it was fine, but now she grew while she was stayin with my girlfriend (who had to give her back because she was to scary) lol, and now she is SUPER FAST and big and i wanna be able to hold her and stuff, but like i said, shes scares the crap outta me. -_- My main point is i would hope some of you have some tips on how to get over the fear of spiders.

03/14/12  01:14am

BelizeanBlast
View Profile

Message To: JonesExotic   In reference to Message Id: 2258738

Hey there, I don’t know if this will help, by I had the same problem with my snake at first. What I found that helps is try wearing some sort of gloves initially to take it out. Lay your hand down flat at a reasonable distance from your lil guy/gal and let it feel comfortable enough to approach on its own. Do this every day for like a week. Sooner or later there will be a relationship. Also, it may help to have an epipen, just in case you are bit and happen to go into shock. Tarantulas also fling their hair when upset. It wont kill you, but it’s very uncomfortable. Don’t put yourself in a position to allow those hairs near your eyes! Remember though, you cannot expect to have a pet like a tarantula or a reptile and expect never to get bit. Just be prepared!!!

04/03/12  12:20am

Monitor_guy3113
View Profile

Message To: BelizeanBlast   In reference to Message Id: 2261214

Quote:

What I found that helps is try wearing some sort of gloves initially to take it out. Lay your hand down flat at a reasonable distance from your lil guy/gal and let it feel comfortable enough to approach on its own

Only problem with that is Tarantula’s don’t think and a happy one is one that isn’t going to be doing a whole lot of running around. Also if the gloves have an opening wide enough the Tarantula would probably just end up in the glove with your hand.

Quote:

Sooner or later there will be a relationship.

Sadly I can promise you there will be no relationship.

Quote:

Also, it may help to have an epipen, just in case you are bit and happen to go into shock. Tarantulas also fling their hair when upset. It wont kill you, but it’s very uncomfortable. Don’t put yourself in a position to allow those hairs near your eyes!

An epi-pen would do you absolutely no good other then to fool yourself. All you can really do is laugh it off. Again I promise you will not be going into shock from a tarantula bit. While yes some tarantula’s do flick hairs the Avicularia(pink toe) genus actually has to press the hairs into you. So unless your letting it crawl on your eyes I think you are safe. Now other new world genus can and will flick hairs and they can get every where. Some people react different to the hairs, I have friends who say the hairs don’t bother, personally I don’t keep New World tarantulas due to the hairs they seem to really bother me. But honestly you have a better chance of your Avicularia( I’m guessing Avicularia Avicularia since you said pink toe) shoot crap at you then you do of getting haired. I do mean that literally. Yes they are accurate enough to make sure they hit you with it to. Also I should say New world tarantula’s flick hairs as a defense, Old world tarantula do not have the hairs to kick. Evolution made it so New worlds can make you itch like crazy or the old worlds can make you hurt alot with a bite.

But to answer your original question there isn’t really much you can do. It’s just either you do it or you don’t. Honestly tarantula’s are more like fish. Set up the cage, make it look nice and then leave everything alone unless it come to feeding or cleaning.

I held mine when I owned them(temporarily stopped keeping them due to leaving for basic in a few months) but here are some pictures. Oh keep in mind alot of these are old world and have a much stronger venom. Will not kill you but some of the ones I handle in the pictures have been known to cause intense pain for hours or several days.

Poecilotheria miranda -Old world strong venom.

Poecilotheria Pederseni -Old world strong venom

Pelinobius muticus - Again old world strong venom(personally one of my favorite pet holes)

Heterscodra Maculata - Old world and nastier venom then the other 3.

Cyriocosmus Ritae -New world weak venom and actually full grown in this pic.

Avicularia sp. Peru Purple(in the Pink toe genus) -New world weak venom she just needed a good molt to get rid of that baldness.

Avicularia Avicularia(pink toe) - new world weak venom. This was the little poop shooter.

Psalmopoeus Irminia -New world weak venom. Also Psalmopoeus genus are far as I know the only new world tarantulas to not have the hairs to kick.

Psalmopoeus Cambridgei - New wolrd weak venom. She was about 7" in this pic.

Lasiodora Parahybana - New world weak venom they just have large fangs. Also known as the Brazillian Salmon Bird eater(not really one to eat birds) That girl was 7.5" they get alot bigger. Some people have had theirs get to be around 9" to 10"

And last but not least what you never really WANT to happen, but it can.

Haplopelma Lividum - old world, strong venom. This was after I dug her out to get her packed for shipping. She took the 10" tongs I had, and yes I mean took them out of my hand. Ran up my arm and managed to play queen of the hill for a good 15 minutes while I tried to get her off my head. She was calm in this pic but she was giving threat displays and everything on top of my head. Best thing you can do is just stay calm more you jump around or move quickly the more likely it is you may get bitten in that situation.

So again it is just kind of something you do or don’t. You have a great "starter" species. Avicularia are a great genus. Kepp in mind if you do handle him/her Avicularia can and will jump and to high a fall may kill it or seriously hurt it.

Oh also could you post pictures?

04/13/12  12:32pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Monitor_guy3113   In reference to Message Id: 2262622

Seconding Moniter guy and throwing in my two cents...

Another problem with wearing gloves is that if you’re wearing gloves thick enough to withstand a tarantula bite, they’re thick enough to prevent you from feeling how much force you’re putting into touching or holding your pet, and you could accidently injure them or provoke a bite.

If you really want to handle your T, I’d suggest laying your hand flat in front of your tarantula, then gently pushing on it’s rear end to encourage it to walk onto your hand. (Don’t blow on it, as this tends to make them run or jump lightning fast.) All of this should take place near the floor to reduce the chance of injury in case your T falls off your hand.

I’ve had multiple pink toes, and they’ve all been fine for handling. Here’s my Avicularia versicolor:

And my Avicularia avicularia:

I also had 2 wildcaught Aphonopelma baergi that were both fine with being handled:

Moniter guy, that picture of your lividum gets me every time.

04/17/12  07:35pm

Monitor_guy3113
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2263185

Lol whats actually funny ETM is the guy who bought her said she ended up being a complete doll. Fine with the unpacking, settled well, and ended up cohabbing with the male her bred her with for around 3 months and that was just the last time I had bothered to send the guy a message. I wrote warnings all over her container(not the shipping box) even sent him that pic and one other I had at the time giving him and idea what to expect. Yeah I’m thinking she just had it out for me. :)

04/21/12  10:32am

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area