Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Spiders Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Aneaj   Robchops   Aneaj   Christa3115   Robchops   Aneaj   Robchops   Itsybitsyspider  

Member  Message

Aneaj
View Profile

PLEASE HELP!

I know people don’t come on here much but I’ve been on this site since i was 12 years old (i am now 20). my friends don’t have any Ts and this is the only place i can come for advice. so if someone can help me that would be very much appreciated. my 5 year old female Chilean rose hair, Athena, has been acting strange. I noticed awhile back when i went to check on her that she was lying on her side with her legs underneath her on her left side. I didn’t think too much of it at first but then i noticed it again today. she already molted about a month and a half ago.

09/29/11  06:44pm

Robchops
View Profile

Message To: Aneaj   In reference to Message Id: 2238651

PLEASE HELP!

To me that sounds like dehydration. Make sure you have fresh water in the cage in an appropriately sized water dish. When a tarantula’s legs start to curl underneath them it is usually a very bad sign. Also make sure she is eating on a regular basis. also make sure it is nto too hot in the tank mid 70’s is all you need.

I have heard of people using quarantine tanks to try and let the tarantula recover, however I have never used one myself.

To construct the tank, simply use paper towel as substrate and make sure it is damp and humiditybuilds up to an appropriate level.

Again I have not tried the quarantine method, but have heard mixed reviews on it. I would say first make sure everything in her current cage is at par, and if so, it is up to you to try the quarantine process.

Also picks of the Tarantula will help greatly.

Thanks,

Rob

09/30/11  01:14pm

Aneaj
View Profile

Message To: Robchops   In reference to Message Id: 2238731

PLEASE HELP!

I hope this helps

10/05/11  01:18am

Christa3115
View Profile

Message To: Aneaj   In reference to Message Id: 2239272

PLEASE HELP!

shes sick i can tell my dad is a spider fanitic she probly is going to die in 2 to 4 munts so sarry but t he tank quartene tank dus work

10/07/11  04:40pm

Robchops
View Profile

Message To: Christa3115   In reference to Message Id: 2239575

PLEASE HELP!

I wouldn’t give up just yet, however now may be the time to try the quarantine method. Take out the substrate in the enclosure and replace it with slightly damp paper towels. Leave the hide in there and a water dish where she can drink from.

How sure are you that she is only 5 years old? By the pic, it almost looks like it could just be old age. The other possibility is that she could be a he... I did not see any hooks or anything in your pics, but if you see them, it means he has matured and will die next molt.

There is still hope, and like I said, hopefully you can bring her back. I had a tiny 1/8 inch sling that was in the death curl.. I was sure it was going to die, but then I gutted a cricket and stuck it right by his fangs and the next day the little guy was running around the vial like there was no tomorrow.

I wish you the best of luck in getting her back to the way she was.

Also has she been eating at all? If not, try to pre-kill a cricket and use tweezers to put the cricket in front of her mouth and see if that works. She might be too weak to eat on her own.

Thanks,

Rob

10/07/11  04:58pm

Aneaj
View Profile

Message To: Robchops   In reference to Message Id: 2239576

PLEASE HELP!

Thank you. Since my last post I’ve refilled her dish very often and I fed her and she seems fine. I am keeping a close eye on her to see if there’s anything unusual going on. I will try to get a clearer picture to see about the hooks. I’m still not too sure how to tell lolbut again thank you very much. Ill post updates :)

10/11/11  12:43am

Robchops
View Profile

Message To: Aneaj   In reference to Message Id: 2239990

PLEASE HELP!

Sounds like she is making a nice recovery, hopefully it was just a minor scare and nothing serious.

10/14/11  01:27pm

Itsybitsyspider
View Profile

Message To: Robchops   In reference to Message Id: 2240470

PLEASE HELP!

I came to this site for some info on a spider I found yesterday and came across this post. I know very little to nothing about spiders but just reading this post and replies has taught me a few things..one of which is the love their people have for them. I’ve never killed a spider on purpose or any living creature for that matter, feeling a kinship to them all I guess. But I’m glad your little lady/man (maybe) is feeling better.

Bravo!

11/15/11  05:54pm

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area