Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Spiders Forum

Ramsinbabakhan   Ramsinbabakhan   EvilTrailMix   FriendofReptiles   FriendofReptiles   EvilTrailMix   Ramsinbabakhan  
 Member  Message

Ramsinbabakhan
View Profile

I need a pro to identify this

Ok i am almost positive this is a camel spider, but i would like some pro to verify this. the reason i am alarmed is i always thought these were found in the deserts throughout the mideast ( iraq, saudi arabia) however these pics below are from summerlin las vegas!!! do these things actualy have a natural habitat in the US deserts, or is this the product of some stowaway nightmare because apparently these are seen all over my brothers apartment complex.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/ramsin09/c2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/ramsin09/c1.jpg

08/03/10  11:31pm

Ramsinbabakhan
View Profile

Message To: Ramsinbabakhan   In reference to Message Id: 2167005

08/03/10  11:35pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Ramsinbabakhan   In reference to Message Id: 2167006

Yup, that is a solifugae, more commonly known as a camel spider. And yes, they do live natively in the US, not just in the Middle East. They’re not particularly dangerous to humans, but they can give you a painful bite if you go bothering one.

08/04/10  02:34am

FriendofReptiles
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2167022

Yes that is a Solifugae. They can grow to a foot long very quickly and appear out of nowhere. If you do get bit by one no matter the size, expect great amounts of pain for 24 hours. Liken it to a gun shot wound.

08/04/10  02:40am

FriendofReptiles
View Profile

Message To: Ramsinbabakhan   In reference to Message Id: 2167006

Yes that is a Solifugae. They can grow to a foot long very quickly and appear out of nowhere. If you do get bit by one no matter the size, expect great amounts of pain for 24 hours. Liken it to a gun shot wound.

08/04/10  02:40am

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: FriendofReptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2167024

Actually there are a ton of urban legends about them, such as their size. The largest they get is about 6" legs included. They also produce no venom, so the pain from a bite comes solely from the skin wound itself. If you’re interested in reading up here are a few informative sites:

Bugguide.net
Absolute astronomy
Solpugid.com

08/04/10  03:13am

Ramsinbabakhan
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2167026

thank you all for the quick responses. i really wasn’t expecting to see these out here in vegas, once again ty all for your input and info.

08/04/10  11:43am

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area