Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Spiders Forum

Jare   JC50   Jare   JC50   EvilTrailMix   Toadsrule   Luyifa   EvilTrailMix   Monitor_guy3113   Getscared   Monitor_guy3113   Possiblysweet   Meatloafpastel   Monitor_guy3113   MadDog8665  
 Member  Message

Jare
View Profile

For the Arachnid Fanatics

For all those eight legged arthropodic LOVERS out there, tell how you got into the "hobby".

This arachnid community is wayyyyy too small so I figured it would be nice to hear how those who are still enthusiasts got into it all. What started you? pictures of your first addiction? Post em here! I’ve had 2 in my life and am starting to want more and more like a massive addiction, so those who feel what I’m talking about, let’s hear the story behind it!!

Let’s get psyched for one of the most interesting species ever again! Share some stories, here’s my first story:

At the time, I just bought an Avic. Avic. and didn’t know a single thing about them. I figured "well if my Rosie is a tarantula the rest must be at least SOMETHING like it.. Little did I know, they are not all pet rocks, which I kinda already knew but figured I had good luck with chilled pets so far.. I go to put this pink toe into her new home from the container, first thing she does is JUMP onto my forearm, run faster than I’ve ever seen anything run, UP my arm to my bicep then JUMP across the gap to my OTHER arm and thankfully that arm was pointed into the tank, and she ran onto a branchy stump that would be her new home. Scared the piss outta me but I managed to stay calm enough to lead her to safety..

Anyone else? Stories? PLEASE! We must share the love for this wonderfully intriguing addiction.

06/27/10  04:55am

JC50
View Profile

Message To: Jare   In reference to Message Id: 2158825

I got into the hobby to get over my fear of spiders and that was two years ago and i now own 50 Tarantulas.It has become a very addicting hobby.

07/20/10  12:34pm

Jare
View Profile

Message To: JC50   In reference to Message Id: 2163776

Haha wow I kinda wish I had a collection like that, but my home is kinda full at the moment, and the gf is picky on what to get hah. I would love to get another arboreal T, they’re pretty fascinating.

07/25/10  01:32pm

JC50
View Profile

Message To: Jare   In reference to Message Id: 2164898

That is one of the nice things about owning Tarantulas.They do not take up a lot of room and you can get some great deals when your friends own businesses that sell them and let you work the shows with them.I have met some very cool vendors who have given me some great discounts so i always take advantage of the offers when they comes along.

07/26/10  05:30pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Ok, this forum is awfully dead. I’ll share my story.

I grew up loving spiders. They were completely beautiful and fascinating to me, and I kept them as pets in jars and containers. When I was 9 I got my first tarantula as a Christmas present, and I’ve still got her now, almost 11 years later.

Over the years I’ve had many other tarantulas: some rescues, some gifts, and some I bought myself. I’ve had calm ones, jittery ones, friendly ones, and evil ones. They were all great.

Currently I’ve had to downsize dramatically, since my housing doesn’t allow "exotic" pets. However, I will not be parting with my first tarantula, an A. seemanni named Velvet. She’s been my special 8-legged pal for too long. Besides, who could say no to this gorgeous girl?

08/04/10  02:59am

Toadsrule
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2167025

oh man she is beautiful EvilTrailMix! i wish i had a tarantula! :(

08/12/10  10:13am

Luyifa
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2167025

She is beautiful!! :-) I have a Chilean rose hair. I first got one a few years ago when I was in the local pet store with my nephew. The sales girl had it out crawling on her hands talking about it to a group of squealing teenage girls. My nephew was terrified of it, lol, and I wasn’t much better. But I wanted to show him that there was nothing to be afraid of. So I asked the woman if I could hold it. And I did. Kinda freaked me out at first, but I fell head over heals for it! I haven’t been without one since!

09/01/10  11:31am

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Luyifa   In reference to Message Id: 2172919

Thanks guys! She’s a good girl.

09/19/10  06:48pm

Monitor_guy3113
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2176257

Well for me I started keeping snakes and lizards at age 5, as years went by I started getting more and more interested in spiders. Well at 15 I got my first G.rosea, then A.avicularia, then H.gigas. Been keeping them ever since. So thats 4 years now. Best hobby I ever got into.

-Tim

09/19/10  08:15pm

Getscared
View Profile

When i was a child (6-10) My closet was FULL of spiders i had caught. I had them all in big glass jars. I have always loved spiders. My friends have called me the ’spider whisperer’ before because I often use my hand to guide them where i want them to go by tapping behind them and such. I hate to kill them and i usually opt for taking them outside unless its a brown recluse.

I am now thinking of getting a pet spider though. What would you guys reccomend? I want something pretty and interesting. would prefer something that isnt just going to sit in the corner all the time.
Im mostly into snakes and i know nothing of the options there are in the world of arachnids.

09/19/10  08:58pm

Monitor_guy3113
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2176282

Lol tarantulas are bsically a lving pet rock. A happy tarantula s one that doesn’t move alot. But L.parahybana make nice display T’s. Reaching around the 8"-10" mark and usually sitting out in the open. Also grow extremely quick as slings.

-Tim

09/22/10  05:17pm

Possiblysweet
View Profile

Message To: Monitor_guy3113   In reference to Message Id: 2176815

hi everyone . I am new to this area of the forum.

I have always had a special love for spiders. I never kill them when i find them around the house, i have always watched them. my favorite thing to do as a kid was find a spider make a web, and sit and watch it. sometimes it would take hours for the spider to complete its home. I have just always been interested in them.
i also have a special love for reptiles. but this year for my birthday, my husband bought me a gift card to a reptile store, and some substrate for a spider of my choice. I have always wanted a one as a pet, but never got the chance.... until now.

so Friday i will be going to pick on my new little best friend. ill be posting pics! :-)

09/23/10  12:18pm

Meatloafpastel
View Profile

Message To: Jare   In reference to Message Id: 2164898

We have 22 tarantulas so far this is the list of them. 6 p irminias and 5 h maculatas, 6 b vagans, 1 L parahybana, 1 G rosea, 2 b albopilosum, N chromatus. We plan on adding more soon.

09/23/10  07:36pm

Monitor_guy3113
View Profile

Message To: Meatloafpastel   In reference to Message Id: 2177065

Nice list.
Heres mine.

Tarantulas
2 A.sp.peru purple
1 A.metallica(possibly just Avic avic)
1 B.vagans
1 C.shioedtei
3 C.fasciatum
1 C.ritae
1 G.rosea
1 G.cala
1 H.maculata
1 H.gigas
2 P.irminia
2 P.cambridgei
1 P.muticus(former C.crawshayi)
2 P.pederseni(pair I am currently breeding)
1 P.miranda
2 P.murinus
3 P.lugardi
1 S.calceatum

Scorpions
1 Desert hairy scorpion
1 Flat rock scorpion
1 T.asthenes(peruvian thick tail is the common name I believe)

Tim

09/24/10  06:04pm

MadDog8665
View Profile

My husband and I have a rather small spider family in comparison to those that I have seen posted here. We are trying to expand, but finding it difficult because we either can’t find any close by or the ones we want we aren’t allowed to have in Canada! SUCKS!! So far we have 1 Gramastola rosea (Rose Hair), 2 Pterinochilus murinus (Usambara Orange baboon), 1 Brachypelma albopilosa (Curly hair tarantula), and 1 Grammastola aureostriatum (Golden Knee Tarantula). Love them all to death, especially the Orange baboons. . . mind you those we don’t handle often, which I’m sure doesn’t hurt their feelings at all anyways!

10/04/10  11:11pm

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area