Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Spiders Forum

Cosmo82   Robchops   Cosmo82   Robchops   Cosmo82   Cosmo82   ImTheDaddy   Cosmo82   Robchops   Cosmo82   Robchops   Cosmo82   Robchops   Cosmo82   Cosmo82   ImTheDaddy   Cosmo82   Cosmo82   Cosmo82   Robchops   Cosmo82   Ghastly   Cosmo82   Ghastly   Cosmo82   Ghastly   Cosmo82   Ghastly   Cosmo82   Ghastly  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

Cosmo82
View Profile

HELP ME PLEASE!!! (lividum)

I have recently purchased a lividum and i am concerned, as it’s not acting like i thought it would. for example, as i write this post it’s cowering from a locust, as soon as i can, i will remove it from the tank. in the 3 days i’ve had it, it hasn’t reared up in aggression once, and every time i turn the light on, it freezes like a rabbit in the headlights. it’s burrowed really nice, i just hope there’s nothing wrong and that it’s just still settling in. please, any advice would be great. on the plus side, i’ve got a really cool pic of it :)

03/01/10  09:20am

Robchops
View Profile

Message To: Cosmo82   In reference to Message Id: 2128329

Hi I will need to know a bit more info to give you a proper guess as to why it is acting so strange. if you can get me your temps, humidity, and pics of the enclosure as well as what kind of substrate you use that would help quite a bit. It almost sounds like it is either about to moult (hence the not eating), cold (most tarantulas when cold will appear docile, when in reality they are just cold), or possible something completely different like issues with substrate.

Also you claim to have an awesome picture of it... so lets see it!!! I love seeing someones new tarantula, do not deprive me of that privilege!

Anyways if you get me the info I can try to help further.

Rob

03/03/10  04:26pm

Cosmo82
View Profile

Message To: Robchops   In reference to Message Id: 2129399

the temp ranges from 75-80 degrees, humidity is aprox 70% for sustrate, i’m using a soil mix. i’m happy at the moment, he actually took a strole witht the light on :) i’ve uploaded some pics, i’m not sure if you can view them or not?

03/03/10  06:10pm

Robchops
View Profile

Message To: Cosmo82   In reference to Message Id: 2129460

I was able to check out the pics, the temps actually sound good, the only other suggestion I can make is keeping it in a dark place, tarantulas hate light and it could be stressing it out. If that is the case putting him in a cupboard or soemthing like that may help out... aside from that I don’t know what else to tell you. Anyways everything looked good in the pictures so I am not sure why it is acting that way!

Rob

03/04/10  12:49pm

Cosmo82
View Profile

Message To: Robchops   In reference to Message Id: 2129730

He’s strange alright. I put a cover over the tank, just exposing the front, thinking he would walk around the back. But instead he walks out to the front and just sits there. I will have to put him in the cupboard for sure. I also found the exit to his burrow this afternoon, which I thought was pretty cool. I just wish there was a way of putting light on him without disturbing him.

03/04/10  07:42pm

Cosmo82
View Profile

Message To: Cosmo82   In reference to Message Id: 2129900

The crickets that have been MIA and presumed eaten 4 days ago were found roaming about this morning. So cosmo hasn’t eaten for a week and a half (that I know of) if I didn’t check his burrow for movement today I would have thought he was dead, or moulting. I moved him to darker quarters, so lets see if that helps.

03/07/10  08:20am

ImTheDaddy
View Profile

Message To: Cosmo82   In reference to Message Id: 2130793

Hi there,

Used to be on here quite alot havent been on for a while. May i ask how big your H Lividum is and how deep the substrate is?

I see your using soil mix. I have uesd this in the past however i prefer coco brick all jungle mix, holds moistoure well and also hold a great burrow for your T. Your temps and humidity seem fine. If she is not eating make sure she has acess to fresh clean water all the time.

Here is a pic of my H Lividum

ITD

03/07/10  09:26am

Cosmo82
View Profile

Message To: ImTheDaddy   In reference to Message Id: 2130802

She’s got about a 3 1/2 - 4 inch leg span and the soil’s about 4 - 5 inches deep. She’s now covered up her exit tunnel and half covered the entrance. I’m not going to loose her, am i?

03/08/10  05:42am

Robchops
View Profile

Message To: Cosmo82   In reference to Message Id: 2131040

I agree with ITD, maybe try using the Eco-earth and see if it inspires any change in behaviour. I do not find she looks ill in anyway, maybe just a bit confused!

ITD- Good to have you back on here, I was beginning to worry that Pokie bite did more damage than we initially thought! How are things anyways, I hope all is well across that big pond! I hadn’t been on here for quite some time either I had actually invested in a saltwater tank and a few Ball Python morphs (Cinnamon Male, Pastel Female, Spider Female), the idea being trying to comibe a Pewter and a Cinnabee. but who knows if it will ever pan out!

Anyways take care,

Rob

03/08/10  06:41pm

Cosmo82
View Profile

Message To: Robchops   In reference to Message Id: 2131170

Thanks guys :) i’ll be trying that in the morning. ITD your lividum looks great! I’ll need to know more about the P. metallica before june :) I really can’t wait

03/08/10  09:19pm

Robchops
View Profile

Message To: Cosmo82   In reference to Message Id: 2131213

Any questions you have feel free to ask away! I will try to compose a caresheet for them in the meantime, however basically all you need to know is they are fast and mean. They are also arboreal so height is always a good idea. But any questions feel free to ask.

Rob

03/09/10  01:44pm

Cosmo82
View Profile

Message To: Robchops   In reference to Message Id: 2131378

Will it require any special treatment? What should I use for substrate? My supplier is bringing in an Usambara tomorrow :) that should be interesting.

03/10/10  07:20am

Robchops
View Profile

Message To: Cosmo82   In reference to Message Id: 2131626

For Substrate I swear by Eco-Earth it is amazing for holding humidity in, and is non-abbrassive. Some people use other substrates however I have only ever used Eco-earth so I have no experience with other substrates. As far as special treatment goes, keep humidity around 60-70% and make sure they have fresh water daily... as they will actually drink from a water dish on a semi regular basis from my experience. Aside from that they need a bit more height than width although you don’t really need any more than 12-18 inches tops. Mine also love the Cork Bark so I would suggest putting a piece of that in there. Aside from that not much else I can say, they are fairly easy to keep and are a great addition to a collection.

Rob

03/10/10  10:41am

Cosmo82
View Profile

Message To: Robchops   In reference to Message Id: 2131668

do they like to burrow? what is the likelyhood of me getting bitten when i’m cleaning out the water dish? i know it’s far from a beginner spider, but the old world T’s have me facinated lol

My supplier says the temperament of a T depends on the keeper as well as the genus, would you say the same?

I noticed something about my lividum today, He hasn’t closed himself in, he’s just made his holes a little smaller and more discreat. he actually popped out for a breif moment, so at least i know he’s still alive :)

03/10/10  06:13pm

Cosmo82
View Profile

Message To: Cosmo82   In reference to Message Id: 2131780

Just managed to work out how to do it, so i thought i’d put a pic in here :)

03/11/10  04:26am

ImTheDaddy
View Profile

Message To: Cosmo82   In reference to Message Id: 2131931

Hi Rob

Im not to bad busy with work and things, seems like your getting yourself a nice collection of spiders and snakes. I wish you good luck with your python.

I wouldnt worry about losing her it seems from what you have said that she beginning to setlle in. As for the chances of getting bitten make sure she is in her burrow when u change the water dish and you will have no worries there.

Love the pic, just make sure you keep the humidity up and fresh water at all times.

Sorry for the delayed reply

ITD

03/12/10  12:41pm

Cosmo82
View Profile

Message To: ImTheDaddy   In reference to Message Id: 2132250

Thank you :) I really can’t wait to see her again. After seeing the Usumbara yesterday, I couldn’t leave the shop without him :) he’s quite quiet too? What is it with me and T’s? Are they really comfortable with me, or are they just too weirded out by everything? He moulted yesterday too, so i’m using his shed as a display with the container I got him in.

03/12/10  02:51pm

Cosmo82
View Profile

Message To: Cosmo82   In reference to Message Id: 2132281

Oh my god! it was a mixture of panic and relief. I was checking Cosmo’s tank and found 3 entrances to her burrow. Still no sign of her so i thought it best to mist it anyway.
With the back of the lid open, i kept an eye on the rear entrance for any movement. I heard the scurry of 8 little footsteps and braced myself for some high speed maneuvers, not realizing that she’s already out at the front of the tank to see what the noise was. my arms wouldn’t work and i couldn’t get the lid to slide back.
Lucky for me she wasn’t that bothered, she just stood there for a few seconds then disappeared back down her burrow.
At least now i know she’s fine, and running round in the light? maybe he’s ready to eat?

03/12/10  08:13pm

Cosmo82
View Profile

Message To: Cosmo82   In reference to Message Id: 2132366

is there any kind of lighting i can use that doesnt bother her or maybe something that she can’t detect? i really want to see her roam about again but the only way i know she’s in there is because her water dish keeps ending up half way down her burrow.

03/16/10  09:31pm

Robchops
View Profile

Message To: Cosmo82   In reference to Message Id: 2133459

I tend to avoid lights, although you can always shine a flash light down the burrow every once in a while if you get worried. It will pi$$ it off a ton but at least you know it is still alive kinda thing. I got lucky with mine, it burrowed right up against the glass so i could always see it.

Rob

03/17/10  01:00am

Cosmo82
View Profile

Message To: Robchops   In reference to Message Id: 2133522

funny enough, because i was scared of taking the dish out of her burrow, i left it. Now, because it wouldn’t fit all the way down, she’s dug her burrow out to accommodate and exposed her burrow :) If she decides to keep it as it is, I’ll have no problems keeping an eye on things.
If i ever do see her out, you’ll be the first to know, I’m sure lol

03/17/10  05:50am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Cosmo82   In reference to Message Id: 2133550

As stated i would change the soil also. If you are worried about being "attacked" my your Colbat use a pair of feeding tweezers but you should be ok ^^ they are my favorite species

Yay big daddy ^^ how are you keeping? this you back forever now? how did the bite recovery go?

03/17/10  08:54pm

Cosmo82
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133738

I’ve always liked them, but always been put off by their rep, she is great though. she was really active until her burrow was dug, but now i just get moved dishes in the night.
I’ve seen on youtube (and probably shouldn’t take it in) lividums striking at people. But it’s only after they poke it with a stick. Why would people want to do that? i love my lividum just being here. Fair enough, some people might think she’s boring, but i think she’s great and maybe one of these night, I’ll be lucky enough to see her again.
Yes i get my G. Rosea out, but only if she’s willing to come out to me. If my lividum wants to stay in her burrow, I’m not about to try and change her mind.

03/17/10  09:23pm

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Cosmo82   In reference to Message Id: 2133745

I myself have had three and haven’t had luck with them my first one was stolen the second died during moult and the third was one of the one’s along with a Kili mustard that my partner cleaned and lost (he didnt put the jar lid on thinking they couldn’t climb up glass he thought wrong) i never been bitten by any of them i would hand scoop them for cleaning and moving to a empty tank for feeding i think if you are going to be bitten by them then they will do it straight away or a few times later or if like me your super lucky in holding Ts but really unlucky in everything else ^^

Plus reputation smeputation its like everything else humans can own you get Colbats that attack as they are being provoked/pestered and if you leave them alone they are wonderful.
Dogs can be loving and some are aggressive some will fight another dog they respect there owner that much and would do anything to keep them happy i myself own a 9 month APBT girl she is the happiest thing ever she gives kisses all the time her favorite command is "snogs please" she loves meeting people and other dogs despite she doesn’t run up to them as i wont allow her to unless she knows it is Rocky her golden lab friend or me but folk can get the bad impression of the breed from the poopie head that own them and the media and tar me with the same brush you know?
Anything can have a bad reputation if anything the only creature that actually has earned its bad rep is the human! we bully, torture, neglect, intimidate each other and animals abuse rights thinking we can stroll around doing as we please thinking we are the higher archy and we are better than each other when we aren’t we are all equal we are all scum on certain levals...

If you cant tell i have no concern for human life i don’t think we deserve to be here really, kinda funny since im jewish and my beliefs and thoughts aren’t what they should be but hey ^^

03/17/10  09:37pm

Cosmo82
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133749

Quoting a good friend of mine, "we are parasites, a bacteria feeding off the beautiful creation we were so lucky to have been given and turning it to . If there is other life out there somewhere, they’d avoid us like the plague we are!"
"snogs" that’s cute :) when it comes to new people, and recently pets, I try not listen to others and just take them as I find them. I think my goal is to be able to handle cosmo (lividum) I don’t like scooping them up in a tub when I need to work in their enclosure and she’s pretty big to be doing that with anyway. I don’t want to stress her out, if she’s happy then i’m happy.

03/18/10  03:38am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Cosmo82   In reference to Message Id: 2133829

I like that saying ^^ its totally true i hope one day something like "war of the worlds" or "clover field" happens as we panic when something come’s to challenge us!

I don’t listen to others i give my opinion usually "have you ever owned one? No, then where do you get this image from?" that usually shuts them up ^^ well as they say a T you can’t see is a happy T

03/18/10  07:23am

Cosmo82
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133844

My kind of thinking ^^ hands on knowledge only please and none of this "i knew a guy, who knew a guy that that happened to" bull. I love this site, with the people on here, there’s nothing much that can’t be said about all the wonderful creatures out there.

03/18/10  08:12am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Cosmo82   In reference to Message Id: 2133861

The site is great despite when some new person comes along and they think they are god of everything when they no jack i hate it when one of those spring up every few years lol so just watch out for them ^^

03/18/10  08:38am

Cosmo82
View Profile

Message To: Ghastly   In reference to Message Id: 2133863

I think when you’re researching your pet, you need to keep a certain level of common sense. If something doesn’t sound quite right, get a second opinion and sometimes a third ^^

03/18/10  10:16am

Ghastly
View Profile

Message To: Cosmo82   In reference to Message Id: 2133875

Agreed ^^

03/18/10  10:54am
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area