Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Spiders Forum

Ssscarface104n   Miss.Froggie   Ssscarface104n   Miss.Froggie   Ssscarface104n   ThatGuyImTheShadows   Ssscarface104n   Poxicator   Ssscarface104n   Poxicator   Ssscarface104n   Poxicator   Ssscarface104n   Manderzratz   Poxicator   Vicente   Manderzratz   Court552   Gschram  
 Member  Message

Ssscarface104n
View Profile

Got my first tarantula

Yesterday i got my first tarantula its a 2, 2.5 inch chaco golden knee tarantula. I’m new to T’s but not to snakes for lizard so temperature and humidity is easy to control. My setup is a 1 1/2 gal tank with a plexi glass lid with holes drilled in it fit on top really tight temperature is at 80 sometimes 85. I’m using beda beast, humidity is at about 50 %, I got it to eat 2 Turkestan roaches so he or she is very healthy here are some pic

s.[Link]

08/27/08  09:49pm

Miss.Froggie
View Profile

Message To: Ssscarface104n   In reference to Message Id: 1844673

Got my first tarantula

Cool tarantula! I have always wanted one of those, but I don’t knwo when to buy one. Where ddi you buy your T to?

08/27/08  10:25pm

Ssscarface104n
View Profile

Message To: Miss.Froggie   In reference to Message Id: 1844711

Got my first tarantula

I live in NJ there’s a pet store not to far from where i live called animal house in Butler NJ they had red rumps, and i almost foolishly even though i know there way out of my league almost got a starburst baboon tarantula. i payed $35 for my little guy the starburst baboon was the same size and he was $20 but when the guy tap the container the baboon tarantula came out like a bat out of hell scared the crap out of me, but one day when i gain experience I’ll get a baboon and yes i know you can hold them. One of the guys at the store held my the golden knee tarantula so i knew he was the right one for me i didn’t just go to the store and bout just any tarantula i did about a weeks worth of research and even called the store and talked to someone with a lot information on these guys. if you really interested hear are some sites that sell tarantulas MBreptiles.com and tarantulacages.com

08/27/08  11:29pm

Miss.Froggie
View Profile

Message To: Ssscarface104n   In reference to Message Id: 1844753

Got my first tarantula

That’s cool. Thank you for the sites. I wil deff do some researching and try to convinse my mom to let me have one.

What’s the basic setup of this type? And how do you feed them?

Thank you!

08/28/08  07:09pm

Ssscarface104n
View Profile

Message To: Ssscarface104n   In reference to Message Id: 1844753

Got my first tarantula

I have a quick question should i feed this little guy every 2 days or every 3 days the day after he ate i put a super worm in his tank and this morning i found the super worms remains. he’s a very good eater also he guy from the store were i got him from said he’s about a year old. How much long would you say it will be until i know the sex.

08/28/08  07:12pm

ThatGuyImTheShadows
View Profile

Message To: Ssscarface104n   In reference to Message Id: 1845425

Got my first tarantula

Oh cool, another New Jersian...:D

Nice tarantula! I have a Rose Haired, and I would love a Mexican Red Knee....:p

Not sure about your question, but Id just research when this species of tarantula reaches sexual maturity. I know Rose Hairs dont reach sexual maturity until 4 years old.

Mike...

08/28/08  10:35pm

Ssscarface104n
View Profile

Message To: ThatGuyImTheShadows   In reference to Message Id: 1845721

Got my first tarantula

oh cool i found a website that sell red knee for $20 there slings though theres another good breeder when i get the site ill post it.another site has starburst baboona for $8 its 1 inch long

08/28/08  11:19pm

Poxicator
View Profile

Message To: Ssscarface104n   In reference to Message Id: 1845766

Got my first tarantula

I’d say that was a wise move not getting the baboon, stick to New World (america’s) species rather than Old World and generally you should get far more docile species, perfect for starting with tarantula.
The general rule is 2 or 3 crickets, the size of their abdomen, per week. They’ll often eat more than this but can easily survive on 6 per month. Any food that isn’t eaten within a day or 2 should be removed.
Chaco Golden Knee Grammastola aureostriatum grow quite large - up to 8", they’re from Argentina/Paraguay, docile but perhaps a little skittish. I have a feeling these get their name from a River so its worth checking up to find more accurate habitat.

08/29/08  06:56am

Ssscarface104n
View Profile

Message To: Poxicator   In reference to Message Id: 1845884

Got my first tarantula

Thanks for all the great information I have bin pocking around and finding some new things out i was also wondering if tarantulas could be over fed. Reason why i ask is because when ever i drop a roach in the tank my golden knee tarantula eat it. I was thinking about feeding it 2 to 3 roaches every 3 days.

08/29/08  11:06pm

Poxicator
View Profile

Message To: Ssscarface104n   In reference to Message Id: 1846665

Got my first tarantula

Tarantula are opportunistic feeders - if there’s food around they’ll eat it but they’re not quite used to the amounts of food you suggest. If you feed it too much it will most likely continue to eat until it starts to ignore the food items. However this amount of feeding isn’t good for your tarantula, it will inevitably shorten its life and doesn’t make for good sperm males.

08/30/08  07:15am

Ssscarface104n
View Profile

Message To: Poxicator   In reference to Message Id: 1846807

Got my first tarantula

Thanks for the info I was just wondering about it because some place where i got information from said that they need to be fed 1 to 2 time a week. I haven’t put anything else in there but the super worms that burrow to the bottom are coming up and every now and them my tarantula gets one so i think there one left and Im going to take it out. You have bin a lot of help and i think I’m going to go with what you said I’ll feed it once a day i really gotta make up a name soon so i can stop calling it it.

08/30/08  10:34pm

Poxicator
View Profile

Message To: Ssscarface104n   In reference to Message Id: 1847439

Got my first tarantula

once a day is too much
Have another read of my replies :)
"The general rule is 2 or 3 crickets, the size of their abdomen, per week" and Andrew Smith (BTS) is quoted as feeding his adults 6 crickets per month.
I’d leave the worms in there, at worst they’ll turn into beetles and then get eaten.

09/01/08  05:34am

Ssscarface104n
View Profile

Message To: Poxicator   In reference to Message Id: 1848472

Got my first tarantula

I don’t feed him every day i said there were super worms that burrowed to the bottom and when they come up he gets them but there was only one left and i took it out so he hasn’t had a meal in at least 4 days. So I’m going to feed him Thursday also if he’s loosing hair on is back does this mean he getting ready to molt.

09/01/08  06:03pm

Manderzratz
View Profile

Message To: Poxicator   In reference to Message Id: 1848472

Got my first tarantula

i have a mexican red kneed i got her when she was a baby and she’s still relatively young. head and abdomen total about 2 inches in length together. i got her when she was about 1.25" inches with legspan if even that. i don’t anymore because she doesn’t want it but when she was a baby i fed her daily or every other day. now she eats once a week or biweekly, depending on whether or not she’s hungry. i read some sites saying that babies should be fed a lot more. so...did i hurt her life expectancy?

10/02/08  08:38pm

Poxicator
View Profile

Message To: Manderzratz   In reference to Message Id: 1873470

Got my first tarantula

You’re quite right, feeding spiderlings (slings) often can be good practise - its gets them off to a good start. You could feed young slings every other day until they get over 1cm and then reduce to 2 feedings per week. The important thing to remember is slings will moult often and whilst they moult they are vulnerable to being attacked by food items. So, if you decide to feed them every other day make sure the food items are taken within a day and be more vigilant when the slings appear to have an upcoming moult - usually you can see a black spot appear on the abdomen.
I have just under 100 slings of various species and they get fed once or twice a week.

A bald patch on the abdomen suggests its flicking hairs and perhaps its doing so because its not comfortable with the substrate. Make sure you provide a dry area for your T, especially the chili rose and many of the Brachypelma species (Mexican). It could also be because it’s not too happy with being disturbed as this is their natural defence. Once the T moults it will have a new body and all hair will be replaced.

10/03/08  04:43am

Vicente
View Profile

Message To: Poxicator   In reference to Message Id: 1873702

Got my first tarantula

those are tight pics

10/03/08  09:36am

Manderzratz
View Profile

Message To: Poxicator   In reference to Message Id: 1873702

Got my first tarantula

oh okay thanks. i just wanted to make sure. thanks for the info.

10/03/08  10:12am

Court552
View Profile

Message To: Manderzratz   In reference to Message Id: 1873791

Got my first tarantula

just got a new T . I dont know what kind it is . help !
its like brownish black and the design on the knees look like sunflower seeds . what kind is iiitt

03/06/11  07:04am

Gschram
View Profile

Message To: Miss.Froggie   In reference to Message Id: 1844711

Got my first tarantula

kenthebugguy.com

#1 invert dealer

10/28/11  02:16pm

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area