Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Spiders Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Prather06   B-Fish   Repfanatic   Prather06   B-Fish   Robchops   Robchops   Prather06   Robchops   B-Fish   LedZeppelinfan101   Robchops   Funkymonkey98   Naia*   Snakeattack   Brok3nglass   B-Fish   Vicente   Tomey   UncleRick   Sirsid_22   Jcricket  

Member  Message

Prather06
View Profile

Cobalt Blue (Haplopelma lividum)

For some reason I have been thinking about getting a spider. I looked on Swift Inverts and found the Cobalt Blue and thought it looked beautiful. Does anyone recommend this species? Also, do I really need a 30-40 gal. tank like the care sheet on here says? Any input is greatly appreciated.

01/17/08  05:37pm

B-Fish
View Profile

Message To: Prather06   In reference to Message Id: 1582616

If you are a beginner you really should not get a cobalt blue. For beginners i suggest anything you can fing that is not an aggresive spider

01/17/08  06:24pm

Repfanatic
View Profile

Message To: B-Fish   In reference to Message Id: 1582687

Chilean rose hairs are good beginner tarantulas. I should know.....I am a beginner. Lol! I like cobalt blues also, but rose hairs are pretty too.

01/17/08  06:36pm

Prather06
View Profile

Message To: Repfanatic   In reference to Message Id: 1582707

The Chilean rose hair sounds like a good starter. One thing the care sheets don’t mention is the life expectancy. What is it? The temp and humidity doesn’t sound like a problem since I have two P. imperators. Do rose hairs burrow?

01/17/08  09:05pm

B-Fish
View Profile

Message To: Prather06   In reference to Message Id: 1582982

About the life time Females around 20-25 years males around 5 years(they usually sell females in pet stores). And no rose hairs do not burrow(they do not need a spray bottle for humidity). Also Have you looked over the "Mexican Red Knee" and the "Pink Toe" tarantula very good starter and also alot more coloration than the rose hair

01/17/08  10:14pm

Robchops
View Profile

Message To: B-Fish   In reference to Message Id: 1583099

Lets start Fresh... first of all for H. lividum the fact that you at least took the time to try and figure out the Scientific name shows alot... so congrats lol, although trust me i do not recomend a H. lividum as a starter T. I would also recommend a G. rosea (Chilean Rose), or maybe a B. smithi (Red knee), or A. versicolor, another one that i really like was the G. aureostriata (Caco Golden knee). anyways these are all good beginner species... also the G. rosea definitely do burrow, if supplied with the right substrate they will often burrow for days sometimes weeks and even fast for long periods of time. that is the one and only flaw with these guys. Also Females do live around 20-30 years some have been known to live longer under the right care, and males live for 5 years on avg. also pet stores have no way of knowing the sex... and if you get a sling it is almost impossible to know the sex... hence why slings are much cheaper... that and the fact that they have a high risk of dieing from molting complications.

As for your question about tank size... it depends on the size of your T... basically adults i would house in about a 5 gallon or so up to about a 10 gallon seeing as most tarantulas do not venture more than a foot away from their hides/burrows. For a sling you should house in the little vial it comes in for about a few weeks, then move up to something like a goldfish breeder (my personal preference) or a little acrylic box with holes that you find at most pet stores. I had a bunch of Ts not so long ago ranging from a G. rosea to a H. maculata and H. lividum, and many in between however i did end up selling most of them so i only have a few left right now but i will be sure to post pics.
Hope this helps
Robb

PS a good way to make money is to buy slings raise them til they are about 1.5 inches than sell them for double what you paid... you will get a nice profit!!

01/17/08  10:53pm

Robchops
View Profile

Message To: B-Fish   In reference to Message Id: 1583099

Lets start Fresh... first of all for H. lividum the fact that you at least took the time to try and figure out the Scientific name shows alot... so congrats lol, although trust me i do not recomend a H. lividum as a starter T. I would also recommend a G. rosea (Chilean Rose), or maybe a B. smithi (Red knee), or A. versicolor, another one that i really like was the G. aureostriata (Caco Golden knee). anyways these are all good beginner species... also the G. rosea definitely do burrow, if supplied with the right substrate they will often burrow for days sometimes weeks and even fast for long periods of time. that is the one and only flaw with these guys. Also Females do live around 20-30 years some have been known to live longer under the right care, and males live for 5 years on avg. also pet stores have no way of knowing the sex... and if you get a sling it is almost impossible to know the sex... hence why slings are much cheaper... that and the fact that they have a high risk of dieing from molting complications.

As for your question about tank size... it depends on the size of your T... basically adults i would house in about a 5 gallon or so up to about a 10 gallon seeing as most tarantulas do not venture more than a foot away from their hides/burrows. For a sling you should house in the little vial it comes in for about a few weeks, then move up to something like a goldfish breeder (my personal preference) or a little acrylic box with holes that you find at most pet stores. I had a bunch of Ts not so long ago ranging from a G. rosea to a H. maculata and H. lividum, and many in between however i did end up selling most of them so i only have a few left right now but i will be sure to post pics.
Hope this helps
Robb

PS a good way to make money is to buy slings raise them til they are about 1.5 inches than sell them for double what you paid... you will get a nice profit!!

01/17/08  10:55pm

Prather06
View Profile

Message To: Robchops   In reference to Message Id: 1583187

That is definately a very helpful post. I use the substrate that comes in the bricks (I can’t remember the name right now) for my emps and it seems to work well with the humidity and the burrowing.

Another pressing question is how do I convince my mom and my girlfriend that they aren’t worse than scorpions? I doubt that I would be able to keep it at my dorm.

01/17/08  11:49pm

Robchops
View Profile

Message To: Prather06   In reference to Message Id: 1583265

First thing is... the substrate you are talking about is Eco earth or maybe Bed a Beast. both come in bricks both are my personal faves for substrate. Tarantulas and scorpions are two completely different Arachs, one benefit to the T over the Scorps is the lack of stinger... although im sure ur emps probably do not sting... most do, and with Ts you will not need to worry about that problem. Also with any old world Tarantulas IE Gramastola Species, you will not need to worry about biting since there numer 1 defense is urticating hairs... which they flick once they think they are in danger. Urticating hairs are baiscally just hairs found on the T which are very itchy and if they get in your eyes it can cause some serious damage... i assume, persoanlly i have never had it happen im just guessing. also the hairs used to be what was used in itching powders to give you a rough idea.

As far as the Dorm question that is an excellent question and if you want my best and most honest answer i would phone they schols u are applying to and ask if they allow pets on res and what the rules and regulations are. My buddy is at a college (im in Canada so they may have different regulations) but at his dorm they did not care what he had as long as it fit in a quarium under 30 gallons. Dont know about where you are going though, could be different

Again i hope all this helps,
Robb

01/18/08  12:23am

B-Fish
View Profile

Message To: Robchops   In reference to Message Id: 1583300

Robchops i know that the petstores cannot sex them but the place they order there tarantulas from can??I know because i abought mine about 3 years go and it is around 6years old and i have sexed mine beore and she is a female and i know someone els on this site who bought there’s and she found out that is was pregnant

01/19/08  11:53am

LedZeppelinfan101
View Profile

Message To: B-Fish   In reference to Message Id: 1585214

Quote:

Also with any old world Tarantulas IE Gramastola Species, you will not need to worry about biting since there numer 1 defense is urticating hairs...

Old world species tend to bite, it’s the New World species with the hairs. Grammostola species are new world, not old world.

01/20/08  01:52pm

Robchops
View Profile

Message To: LedZeppelinfan101   In reference to Message Id: 1586938

Lol sorry i get them mixed up lol i should probably hit the books one more time... lol just shows u can never research too much. And in regards to sexing... I meant it is almost impossible to tell if it is a sling... and unfortuneately some pet stores suppliers are unable to tell you the sex... i know a few breeders and unfortuneately none of them can sex Ts with 100% certainty... it requires a microscope, a fresh preferrably large molt, and the right knowledge. Most breeders are unfortuneately in it for the money and not for the hobby.

Robb

01/20/08  11:35pm

Funkymonkey98
View Profile

Message To: Robchops   In reference to Message Id: 1587743

can you post some pictures?

02/25/08  11:13am

Naia*
View Profile

Message To: Funkymonkey98   In reference to Message Id: 1637193

Actually this picture is much more accurate, lol.

That’s what you get to see most of the time. It has been several months since I’ve seen it last.

02/25/08  10:57pm

Snakeattack
View Profile

Message To: Naia*   In reference to Message Id: 1638102

yep i used to have a pretty pet hole once too lol beautiful spiders though,but extremely fast and pretty painfull when it bites...most are so agresive that they will snap at the water drops ,my 1st tarantula was a green bottleblue i think it was a great species to begin with. also a chaco gold knee is a great little species...
im sure some fancy pants will correct me with the proper latin names lol im too lazy too type em lol

02/26/08  11:19pm

Brok3nglass
View Profile

Message To: Snakeattack   In reference to Message Id: 1639587

hey snakeattack
i just posted this same question on another thread
how did you like your Green Bottle Blue???
Bob

05/24/08  01:45am

B-Fish
View Profile

Message To: Brok3nglass   In reference to Message Id: 1744699

If you still want a coalt blue i suggest you read this and then see if you still want it http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=124926

05/25/08  03:20pm

Vicente
View Profile

Message To: B-Fish   In reference to Message Id: 1746026

TIGHT COBALT BLUE

10/05/08  12:22am

Tomey
View Profile

Message To: Robchops   In reference to Message Id: 1583187

hey there robchops, just been reading through your post and i noticed you mentioned something about complications with a chillies shed. My chillie has recently shed her skin (about 2 days ago) and ive noticed that her legs look really floppy now, even when shes just hiding under her bark. She doesnt look right, any ideas? i am very new to this so any suggestions are welcome. Thank you paul

10/15/08  07:05am

UncleRick
View Profile

Message To: Prather06   In reference to Message Id: 1583265

dorms. i went to Princeton. dogs, cats & even goldfish were "prohibited". be nice to the janitors & you too will come home one day to find them sharing their lunch w/ your kitten. if you rent an apartment, in some states pets in enclosures are protected -- this often does not apply to fish, because of the possibility of water damage.

the ’rents & girl are another matter. here i would go for cute & cuddly, rather than striking & beautiful. we often use the term "beginner" as a disparagement. beginner tarantulas may just be much more fun, than an "advanced"/problematic, difficult one.

01/09/09  01:57pm

Sirsid_22
View Profile

Message To: UncleRick   In reference to Message Id: 1929024

damn....you actually handle a blue cobalt..?......

01/12/09  06:59pm

Jcricket
View Profile

Message To: Prather06   In reference to Message Id: 1582616

iF THE COBALT WOULD BE YOUR FIRST TARANTULA I HIGHLY RECOMMEND GETTING A LESS POTENT AND DOCILE TARANTULA.

11/14/15  08:17pm

Back to Spiders Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area