Small-Animals Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Roxy828   Takahiro111   Roxy828  

Member  Message

Roxy828
View Profile

Gerbils Biting! Please help!

Ok, so I got two young gerbils for my 13th birthday. They are both males and they are both from petco. Their names are Murphy and marley. Marley is definitely the dominant gerbil because he is much more bold than Murphy. I followed the taming techniques, and their shyness towards me has ebbed off greatly! But one thing that concerns me is that Marley the dominant one keeps biting me whenever I put my hand in the cage. Murphy hasn’t bitten me ever before, but he did today. My questions are.......
A - is Marley teaching Murphy that its ok to bite
B - is biting a heredity issue
C - if it is, then should I return the gerbils and try to start over with new ones?
D - has anyone had a situation like this/ if so how did it turn out?
E - is it just that they are young and they need time to learn to not bite

Please don’t get me wrong! I understand how to train them, and when they do bite, I softly blow on their face and say no. I believe that’s what you are supposed to do in order to train them to not bite. I have experience with other pets : dog, cat, turtles, lizards, and fish. I do care for my gerbils, but I would rather have a pair that didn’t bite so frequently. Please help me, because if I do decide to return them, I have only about five days to do so. Thank you for reading this, and please comment. :)

09/06/13  08:19pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Roxy828   In reference to Message Id: 2300937

I’m not specialized in gerbils like you I’m sorry but I never mixed males together even with my reptiles

09/06/13  10:04pm

Roxy828
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2300942

Ok thankyou. :)

09/07/13  06:57am

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area