Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Small-Animals Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

MissYouGeico   Cphill58   MissYouGeico   Cphill58   KaleidoRats   Rae rae   KaleidoRats   Rae rae  

Member  Message

MissYouGeico
View Profile

Ivermectin.

Can anyone tell me dosages for mice, and I must be 100% sure
it will not kill/hurt the mice! Be honest.

02/05/12  02:41pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: MissYouGeico   In reference to Message Id: 2254012

Ivermectin.

what are you trying to accomplish ....external parasite removal? inner ear infections...Please be specific

02/06/12  12:50am

MissYouGeico
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2254115

Ivermectin.

Inner parasites.

02/06/12  02:32am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: MissYouGeico   In reference to Message Id: 2254128

Ivermectin.

I have never used it for inner parasites. I do know a few things about it from using it to treat external parasites on snakes and rabbits.

I use the injectable liquid and dilute it according to these instructions by Melissa Kaplan.

Quote:

Ivermectin (Ivomec®)
While some vets will recommend injecting a reptile with ivermectin as a way to get rid of mites, the drug is highly toxic. Even the drug’s manufacturer strongly advises against injecting it into reptiles for any reason (it is often used as a wormer for reptiles). Another way to use this drug, however, is externally, in a spray made by mixing ivermectin and water. Ivermectin may be obtained in a vial or syringe from your veterinarian, or without a prescription in the bovine or equine section of feed stores (where it is sold as a cattle and sheep wormer under the brand name Ivomec). You will also need a 1 cc syringe and a large bore needle (which can also be obtained from feed stores or your veterinarian). Ivermectin is rather thick and the multi-dose injection bottle in which it comes is topped by a thick rubber seal. You must insert the needle through this seal to get it into the drug itself. Some smaller gauge needles can get through the seal without bending, but it will take a very long time to pull up even the small amount of the drug needed, so use a larger-bore needle if you can.

Mix 0.5cc (5mg) of injectable ivermectin (it comes 10mg/cc) per quart of water. Shake or stir vigorously and use immediately.

Follow the steps above for cleaning out the enclosure. Instead of using the pest strip or collar, soak a cloth in the ivermectin-water solution, or pour the solution into a spray bottle. Thoroughly wipe down or spray the entire inside of the tank, wiping down the unplugged heating pads and light fixtures. While the ivermectin solution is drying in the enclosure, soak a clean cloth in the solution and wipe down the reptile or spray it thoroughly with the ivermectin solution, avoiding the eyes and open mouth. Use a cotton-tipped swab to carefully apply the solution around their eyes and nostrils, taking care not to get any in their eyes. You can also use an ivermectin solution to moisten a swab or cloth and work it into r the chin grooves, under belly scutes, ventral folds, and into dorsal crests.

Put new substrate and the furnishings into the tank and replace the reptile. Monitor carefully for the reappearance of mites, repeating as necessary.

Please note that ivermectin poses a potential danger to any animal, but most especially to severely debilitated reptiles, particularly when used systemically (administered orally or by injection) on such reptiles. Take extreme care when using it topically.

Ivermectin has been reported in the veterinary and herpetocultural literature to be fatally toxic to chelonians and should never be used in or on them, nor in their environment.

Melissa Kaplan

If you need to search for more information you can Google Ivermectin / Ivermec II and see the dosage for mammals on the various sites that sell the product ...e mail and get the break down per gram. I googled ivermectin in rodents and the first page was this one.

Drug Therapy Rodents
Tons more to read ....
AFRMA

IVOMEC for Rodents

02/06/12  12:42pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: MissYouGeico   In reference to Message Id: 2254128

Ivermectin.

I used it for my mice and rats. You’ll want to use a tiny amount like half a grain of rice for mice. If the mice are big you can use a whole grain of rice but I’d suggest the lesser amount first to make sure it’s okay. I used it once at the beginning of the month and then once again two weeks later. That took care of my problems. I never lost a mouse to it but you don’t want to use it on a pregnant or nursing mouse and I’d wait until babies are around 4 weeks old at the earliest to use it on them.

If they refuse to take it just rub it on their fur. They’ll lick it up to get it off. Just make sure you don’t have another mouse licking it up instead of the one that’s supposed to.

02/07/12  12:42am

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: MissYouGeico   In reference to Message Id: 2254012

Ivermectin.

Well you already know what I will say...if you’re wanting to be 100%...ask the vet. Nobody here can guarantee anything with your animals.

02/15/12  10:23pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2255475

Ivermectin.

I got the instructions from my vet and my mentor when I was breeding rats and mice so I’m confidant in the information I gave. I do agree if she’s concerned she should ask her own vet but I did want to mention that I didn’t just google the info.

02/16/12  12:19am

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2255496

Ivermectin.

That’s good. I always trust a Vet instead of anything I google lol!

02/20/12  11:04pm

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area