Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Small-Animals Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Poison16   KaleidoRats   Poison16   KaleidoRats   IceGlowFF5   Poison16   IceGlowFF5   KaleidoRats   Poison16   IceGlowFF5   MissYouGeico   KaleidoRats   Rae rae  

Member  Message

Poison16
View Profile

So

i was going to get pet rats but i had this brilliant idea to just try and catch one and i belive i got a little mouse and i want to keep him but i definitaly need some pointers on them like food, habitat,behavior any facts that can be given to me would be greatly appreciated i have pictures of him/her and the set up i have for him at the moment but idk how to add them on here lol

01/28/12  02:08pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Poison16   In reference to Message Id: 2253074

So

Let it go and go buy a pet one. A wild rat or mouse is not the same as a domestic one.

They have the same diet but they carry different diseases, some of which can make a human very, very sick. Wild rats and mice are much more likely to scratch and bite and they can pass on a fever from their bites which has caused children to be hospitalized.

They also carry mites which are tiny spiders that cause you to itch and if you’re terribly sensitive you’ll break out in bumps and rashes or worse. Wild rats and mice also carry lice. Both bugs can be transferred to any other animal and person in your house and will live in your blankets, furniture and carpet. Both are also amazingly hard to get rid of but unlike lice you can’t just use a shampoo and special comb to get rid of mites.

Catching and keeping a wild animal also causes them tons of stress which can and will kill them.

It’s illegal to own a wild animal in most places as well.

If it gets sick you won’t be able to take it to the vet and odds are you will not be able to tame it so all you’ll be able to do is look at it.

A pet mouse at the store will cost you $5 and a rat will be $10 at most so let the wild one go and go pay the money to get a proper pet. Both mice and rats need friends. They should never be kept on their own. If your reason for catching a wild animal instead of a domesticated one was due to money don’t even think about getting a pet until you can afford to properly care for one. Just because the animal itself is cheap that doesn’t mean you can skimp on any other part of it’s care.

Every chance that poor little animal gets it will try to escape or it will die trying. That was a very stupid idea, not a brilliant one. I understand wanting a pet that badly but it’s cruel to the animal and can make you sick as I’ve already stated.

01/29/12  07:13am

Poison16
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2253154

So

i understand your comments but he seems to like me i was petting him and he was letting me , he isnt trying to escape he just chills in the bedding and he eats the food i put in ,money isnt the problem my mother just wont let me get one so i caught one he seems to be doing fine if he starts to seem like he wants out ill let him go i keep him in my outside building so most of those things are not a worry to me and if they dont like to b alone ill get another one , its better then my father and other people around here killing them with traps , so yeah idk what else to say if it starts to look bad yeah ill let him go but he doesnt seem to be having a problem

01/29/12  10:36am

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Poison16   In reference to Message Id: 2253169

So

I’m speaking from years of experience. When I was little we used to take in every hurt animal in the neighborhood including wild mice and rats to nurse them back to health and if they took longer than a week or two to heal they stayed with us because they usually remained partially lame or became to used to being fed and no longer would forage for their food. I can tell you I got lice so many times growing up. Just because they’re outside it doesn’t mean that you can’t collect and pass on diseases or bugs through your clothes, hair and body.

I can also tell you that many of the animals let me pet them but usually because they were too scared to move. Any scared animal is still going to eat so that doesn’t prove that he’s comfortable or not anyway. The fact that you said your mom won’t let you have one so you caught one shows you’re not mature enough to have a pet. What are the odds your dad will kill it if your mom finds out and freaks out about it? Pretty good I’d say if he doesn’t have any issues killing them instead of using live traps.

You’re risking the health of yourself, your family and that little mouse because you don’t want to listen to your mother. I know how bad that sucks. My mom made me rehome my rabbit and my cat and then killed my mice, rat, lizard and spider when she won custody of my brother and myself when I was 13. She got me a small parrot for my birthday after taking away all my other pets because she liked birds better. I convinced her to let me buy a pair of mice after writing an essay on their care, habitat, diet, etc and reading it to her as well as saving up my own money to buy the food, cage, water bottle, bedding and the mice. In my experience that works better with parents than defying their wishes and sneaking in animals they told you, you were not allowed to have.

01/29/12  09:41pm

IceGlowFF5
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2253248

So

I agree with Kaleido. From what you have said you are definitely not mature enough to have a pet if u have to go behind your parents backs in order to get one. What you have done could end up in the death of the mouse which is not fair to the animal and just cruel. and not so great after effects for you. Next time u rly need to think before you do something like this. You’re just not mature enough. Set the mouse free so the poor thing doesn’t die.

01/29/12  11:12pm

Poison16
View Profile

Message To: IceGlowFF5   In reference to Message Id: 2253255

So

you all totally took tht wrong im not going behind her back she wont let me buy one doesnt mean im not supposed to have one she said if i caught one i cud keep it and i dont appreciate being called immature im 17 i caught a mouse becuz im tired of my dad killing them to me that doesnt sound bad you guys are the immature ones for putting me on blast on this forum like im sum 6 year old that doesnt know a thing ive done research and its possible to care for a wild mouse, and just becaue you all didnt have good luck with it means nothing he is fairly small so maybe he could become accustomed to it, ive had him for like 4 days and it seems to me hes liking it he plays and eats and ive owned alot of pets this is not my first and if they dont like how things are going they dont do much and its not like im constantly bothering him i go out and see him too change his water and stuff try to offer him a treat, if you dont have helpful info dont be rude and post your negativity you dont know me im not letting him go unless it seems like he wants to go if he wanted to leave when i open his door he would probably run out as you said he would try to escape every chance he gets hasnt even tried yet i need helpful info so that he wont die thank you

01/30/12  09:44pm

IceGlowFF5
View Profile

Message To: Poison16   In reference to Message Id: 2253408

So

You don’t have to take our advice to heart. But don’t blame us if you get a disease from the mouse. You can still be immature about all this even at 17. I’m not trying to start a fight or anything but next time you ask for advice you should be prepared to hear TRUE facts that you may not like. That’s just how it goes. And in general you just shouldn’t keep wild animals. If you think they are in some kind of danger where you found it you should re locate it to a place you know it won’t get hurt instead of keeping it as a pet in an unfimiliar environment where it’s not used to living cuz no matter how good you take care of it,it will die. Just trying to help.

01/30/12  11:00pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Poison16   In reference to Message Id: 2253408

So

You can be very immature at 17. We’ve all be there so we know. My younger brother spent most of his 17th year in juvie along with his friends and don’t get me started on all the pregnant 17 year old girls and all the STDs floating around my school back then but that’s a different topic.

In any case I have tamed wild mice in the past and one even lived to be 5 in my care. Like I said we used to take in all the injured animals as a miniature animal hospital for our area to provide general first aid and care for the folks that couldn’t always afford much else. Babies are easy to tame but that doesn’t mean they aren’t carrying lice, mites or diseases.

You also obviously didn’t do much research when you posted this thread or the last one since you specifically asked for people to tell you what you needed to know instead of looking for yourself which is also evidence of your maturity. You asked for our advice and wisdom and we gave it to you. You didn’t ask us to lie and sugar coat the facts and we wouldn’t have anyway.

If you don’t like your dad killing the mice ask him if you can set up live traps instead and then you can take the critters out far away from your home and garage and let them go. That’s what we always did and it was never an issue. It’s better than keeping them as pets unless they clearly cannot make it on their own but as I said it’s illegal to own a wild animal in most of the 50 states these days.

Next time you ask for advice maybe you shouldn’t snap at the people who are worried about you and the animals.

Did you ever figure out if it was male or female? Here’s a hint if you didn’t: rodent males have huge testicles and females have nipples.

Also never hold or grab it buy its tail. You can break their tails off that way.

01/31/12  08:19am

Poison16
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2253443

So

hed like less than an inch long i can barely see anything im just ganna let him go so thanks anyways

01/31/12  09:26pm

IceGlowFF5
View Profile

Message To: Poison16   In reference to Message Id: 2253531

So

Smart idea

02/01/12  12:48am

MissYouGeico
View Profile

So

Less than an inch?!!?! That’s tiny! You Must let it go!

02/01/12  09:37pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

So

Thank you

02/02/12  12:22am

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2253661

So

Wow, who needs a soap opera when we have repticzone!! My brain hurts now with the posts being nothing but one big run on sentence...no punctuation at all! Lol!

02/15/12  10:30pm

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area