Small-Animals Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Poison16   IceGlowFF5   KaleidoRats   IceGlowFF5  

Member  Message

Poison16
View Profile

Im really

interested in getting pet rats and everything is there anything i should know about them ? like die hard facts about them ?

01/22/12  07:08pm

IceGlowFF5
View Profile

Message To: Poison16   In reference to Message Id: 2252291

Im really

well what do u know about them so far?

01/23/12  06:57pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Poison16   In reference to Message Id: 2252291

Im really

There’s a ton of facts you should know to make sure you get happy healthy rats.

You should make sure you avoid pine and cedar bedding for one because it can kill your rats.

You should always, always, always get at least two unless the one you have in mind really hates its own kind. If you want a male and a female you should get the male neutered. Males can live with other males with no issues, same with females. The males tend to live longer and are generally a lot calmer than females so if you want a shoulder pet that you can snuggle a male would be a better bet. If you want rats that will explore then females are the safer bet. I’ve had both males and females act the complete opposite than they genders generally do.

Males do tend to smell more but I had 30 rats when I had my rattery and I can tell you the smell from all 30 wasn’t as bad as when my cat uses the litterbox lol.

Avoid rats from chain pet stores. If you have to get rats from a pet store try to find an obscure mom and pop shop. Pet shop rats are almost always sick and generally have myco which is a respiratory infection that could kill the rat in time. Myco is present in almost every rat (excluding lab rats) but will only expose itself if the animal is exposed to a high amount of stress so it’s usually in full bloom in pet shops.

Avoid a sneezing rat. If you see the rat just sneezing and sneezing do not get it. Odds are it has a respiratory infection. If it only sneezes once or twice and that’s it might be on new bedding or someone just went by with perfume on. A rat will sneeze when you first bring it home as it gets used to all the new smells and it shouldn’t be a worry so long as the sneezing isn’t in massive amounts and dies down and goes away toward the end of the week. If it continues you’ll want to take your rat to the vet. If it does have myco it can be treated but won’t go away. I had a ratty boy with myco once.

You’ll want to take your rat to the vet anyway and have its stool checked (just put fresh poo in a sandwich bag before you leave to go to the vet). Pet shop rats are loaded with parasites and some breeders also don’t monitor that and it can cause many, many issues. Some parasites rats get can be spread to humans as well though this isn’t a huge cause for concern! If you did end up picking up a parasite from your rat you’d just have to go to the doctor and get some meds. You can catch parasites from any animal so this isn’t exclusive to rats!

For rats the bigger the cage the better but you’ll want to put hardwire cloth over any cage that has bars spaced wider than half an inch. Do not get a cage with wire shelves without covering the shelves in something solid. If they are forced to walk on wires they’ll develop bumblefoot which is where sores form on their feet and if left untreated can cause a rat to become lame. Climbing the wire walls of their cage doesn’t cause bumblefoot however so those are fine.

Rats can eat almost anything but you should never give a male rat anything citrus. My rats most favorite treat was mealworms (alive or dead). They also loved dog cookies and animal crackers. Give them your watermelon rind and watch them go to town! It doesn’t give them a stomach ache like it does for humans. Give them cherry tomatoes and sit back and enjoy the show! They love them and will hide them, steal them and otherwise magic them away from their friends.

Rats love wheels but they aren’t required. My rats got plenty of exercise without one. They love hammocks and I believe every rat should have a comfy hammock to lay in.

Also beware of plastic waterbottles. I went through most of my original 20 in a year’s time. Glass bottles are the way to go! Just be careful not to drop them, obviously. The thick glass rarely even chips when you drop it but I tell you what your toes will thank you if you avoid butter fingers XD

Rats are predator and prey animals. They’ll chase laser pointers and love jingle balls (though they don’t last long). They also love feet! I have had more than one person ask me if my rats attacked my socked feet. I don’t typically wear socks when I’m home so I can’t say I’ve ever had that problem but when I was barefoot in my rat room my girls were always coming over and pawing or nibbling at my toes or sitting on my feet while I changed their water and food. They’ll also eat rodents smaller than them and small birds so keep them away from other small pets. They can take on a cat or a small dog and win too so you should keep them away as well unless you’re sure they won’t fight (I had a small boy that absolutely loved my cat. My cat used to let him sleep on his back. It was so cute).

Well there you have a novel 0.o; Sorry about that. If you have any questions ask away!

01/23/12  06:58pm

IceGlowFF5
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2252468

Im really

ahahaha! my boys are obsessed with my feet! ESPECIALLY when i have socks on!

01/23/12  07:24pm

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area