Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Small-Animals Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Silverdoe100   KaleidoRats   MissYouGeico   Silverdoe100   Silverdoe100   MissYouGeico  

Member  Message

Silverdoe100
View Profile

Ferret depression

Hello everyone, my roomate and I have two ferrets that have been together since we adopted them. Unfortunately my roomate and i are going our separate ways and we are each taking our ow ferret. I think the best thing for them is to keep them together but my roomate is being selfish and wont let me take hers. i would gladly let her take mine except I know they would be living in filthy conditions, and she is never home to let them out. I dont want my baby to live like that. I was the only one who kept the cage clean, and the few times she did do it all she did was put new litter on top of old litter, not clean the food dish, or the platforms, and they still had poop all over them. Disgusting! I always ended up having to redo it anyway. So sadly, sice I refuse to give up my baby to such conditions, and she refuses to give up hers, they will have to be split up. When we adopted them we were told that mine gets along with other ferrets, hers doesnt. Thats another reason I think she’s being selfish, hers might not accept a new ferret friend. Also, I have dog and cat, so at least mine would still have them to play with. Anyway, i was looking for some advice on how to help my ferret transition to a new house, and lose his cage mate. He will still have the same cage which is good, and he will still have the dog and cat as buddies. I dont think its a good idea to get another ferret right away, as that might just shock him even more. I feel thats the equivalent to someone’s spouse dying, throwing a new one in the house and saying "here ya go! here’s a new one, you better like each other, and get used to it". That just sounds more stressful to him than helpful. So, thanks for reading, and any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I love my boy so much, and I dont want to see him get sick or god forbid die because of my dumb@*# roomate! Thanks everyone!

01/16/12  12:40pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Silverdoe100   In reference to Message Id: 2251252

Ferret depression

Ferrets can be kept okay on their own but they should have a buddy when possible. I’ve found that when my social pets (rats, mice, hamsters, gerbils) lose their buddy for one reason or another they don’t perk up until I introduce a new friend. He will still have the dog and cat to play with while he’s out of the cage like you said but he won’t have his snuggle buddy at bed and nap times.

If you don’t want to get a ferret right away I would suggest maybe getting a dog toy with a long body. With having a long toy to cuddle up with it might help him transition.

Spoil the little guy rotten with his favorite foods too. Most animals can be pulled out of a depression by their favorite foods.

01/16/12  09:11pm

MissYouGeico
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2251302

Ferret depression

That’s horrible, my opinion is, if she does not want to give her ferret up,
cause that would be losing the fight between you two (because, it does not seem
like she cares for the ferrets), be nice to your roommate, act like you lost the fight,
and give up, and then offer her money for the ferret and still play nice to
her, making her feel good. So you both "win". Hope it works, and hope you get her ferret.

I feel horrible for your ferret.

01/17/12  06:10pm

Silverdoe100
View Profile

Message To: MissYouGeico   In reference to Message Id: 2251398

Ferret depression

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I will try all of this. It’s funny but a couple times now while she has been home her ferret has been following me around, all the animals have actually. Then I’ll stop and look at them and they’ll all just sit and stare at me like "okay what now mom?". It’s so cute but I know its been pissing my roomate off lol. I think the animals sense something coming or they sense the move and know they’re coming with me. It’s odd. I am going to get a long stuffed toy and keep it in the cage with them so it has the other ferret’s scent on it. I figure it may help him transition. I feel bad for my ferret but I feel worse for hers because mine is not as attached, he’s a little more independent. Hers is really attached to mine, and she doesnt get along with other ferrets so my roomate might have a hard time finding her a new friend :/

01/20/12  09:47am

Silverdoe100
View Profile

Message To: MissYouGeico   In reference to Message Id: 2251398

Ferret depression

Also missyougeicko, I think you are right about her not wanting to "lose" the fight between us. Everything has always been some kind of weird competition to her. How selfish to put your need to feel like you won a dumb argument over your pet’s well being! Oh well, some people go through life with blinders on until the day they die.

01/20/12  09:50am

MissYouGeico
View Profile

Message To: Silverdoe100   In reference to Message Id: 2251823

Ferret depression

Yes, yes they do. I’m so sorry,
did you get her ferret, did it work? If
not, I am terribly sorry. I love ferrets.
I hope there is some way you can help
her ferret too.

01/22/12  03:19pm

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area