Small-Animals Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rae rae   KaleidoRats   Rae rae  

Member  Message

Rae rae
View Profile

Long haired mice

How unusual is it to find long haired mice? I have been breeding mice for feeders. I started out with black and white ones, then came cinnamon color...kept one of those because that color seems to be so sweet. Now from her I have been getting long haired cinnamon colored ones. The local pet store here is interested in buying the long haired ones. What do I sell them for? Can’t find any for sale online. Don’t know if they’re actually rare or not??

12/23/11  10:20pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2248290

Long haired mice

I’ve wanted long haired mice since I was 3 years old. I’m 22 now and have never seen one in person despite looking and contacting every breeder in or near Ohio. They are very, very rare in my experience so I would hold onto your long hairs and keep breeding them until you have a nice group and then sell from that. I wouldn’t know what to sell them for. Most breeders who used to have them sold them for the same price as their short haired mice.

12/26/11  12:51am

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2248470

Long haired mice

Ok, so now looking at different pics online, I don’t think my mice are cinnamon...they are actually more of a silverish color...guess hard to explain. But definitely not cinnamon now that I’ve seen those. So I actually found another breeder in my neighboring state and paid her a visit. She had black and white long hairs, and also brindle females. So of course I got one of each! So since I have a buyer (local pet shop) both of them are now expecting! They both bred with my silver long haired male. Can’t wait to see what the kids will look like!!

02/15/12  10:34pm

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area