Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Small-Animals Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

IceGlowFF5   KaleidoRats   IceGlowFF5   KaleidoRats   IceGlowFF5   KaleidoRats   Toadsrule   KaleidoRats   IceGlowFF5   KaleidoRats   IceGlowFF5   KaleidoRats   IceGlowFF5   KaleidoRats   IceGlowFF5   KaleidoRats   IceGlowFF5   KaleidoRats   IceGlowFF5   KaleidoRats   IceGlowFF5  

Member  Message

IceGlowFF5
View Profile

My new rats :)

ok so i thought i’d show you all my new pet rats. their names are Zeus and Percy. enjoy the pics :)

this is Zeus

this is Percy

Zeus (left) Percy(right)

11/20/11  02:08pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: IceGlowFF5   In reference to Message Id: 2244817

Lovely boys! I’m glad you got some. I’m so sorry about not being able to provide you with the boys I had.

11/21/11  06:29pm

IceGlowFF5
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2244969

Thnx! It’s Alrite. Were u able to find homes for the animals?

11/22/11  03:58pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: IceGlowFF5   In reference to Message Id: 2245038

Sadly no Sean’s mom called the shelter and forced us to take them in before we could. We did take them to a very good shelter that will not put them down and the girls that work there were squeeing over the rats so odds are the girls took them home themselves. We got a call 2 days later from a lady that sounded like she wanted to adopt all the animals >.<

11/23/11  05:08pm

IceGlowFF5
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2245145

That’s crazy! I’m sry u had to give them up :/

11/24/11  11:57pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: IceGlowFF5   In reference to Message Id: 2245239

Yeah so am I. I’m still pissed at Sean’s mom for that and she’s still hiding from me because she realized she messed up big time in trying to make friends with me >.>

I’m still trying to decide if I want to get another rabbit after this or call it quits. This was the 3rd rabbit I’ve had since I was little and the 3rd one that the loss of my home required I rehome it.

11/26/11  06:54pm

Toadsrule
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2245358

awww that sucks :( do u think you’ll ever get any more rats?

11/30/11  05:58pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Toadsrule   In reference to Message Id: 2245764

A couple years down the line maybe but I won’t be breeding anymore. There’s too much drama involved with the other breeders to feel comfortable doing it.

I love rats but there were a lot of hard times with them too. Having so many means you have a lot more deaths so instead of losing one beloved rat I could lose a bunch from a litter or my older rats would all die a few days or weeks from each other. A lot of times I had break downs just because I’d get passed the death of one rat only to have another die. It really sucked. If I do get them again I’ll only get a max of 4.

I’m really jealous of Ice’s Percy though. I always wanted an agouti but was never able to get one.

My focus now is ferret research. I’ve always wanted a ferret so next Christmas I might manage to get a pair (not for breeding) if we’re back on our feet. I’m also really into fish so I’m setting up my tanks again now that I have a lot of free time. The rattery used to have me working 6 to 12 hours a day and now I’m just working on my art and trying to make a small bit of cash from it XD

12/01/11  01:39pm

IceGlowFF5
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2245835

First of all the account Toadsrule is mine(Ice) lol. I thought I had logged into my IceGlow account haha! Anyway I hope things work out for u if u get more rats. Woah wait a minute! Percy is an Agouti?! I thought he was just grey. I find it kinda funny that ur jealous of him XD so is there a specific color that Zeus is? That’s cool about the ferret. My sister wants one but she can’t get one cuz she’ll have enough responsibilty with her baby on the way.

12/04/11  04:17pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: IceGlowFF5   In reference to Message Id: 2246170

He looks agouti to me. Agouti has a brownish coat mixed with black. Most colors that come in grey are a pale smokey color like the platinums and they’re blended and soft looking. They don’t look like they have highlights like the agoutis do. Zeus is just black.

It looks like Percy is a mismarked hooded and Zeus is a mismarked capped.

Agouti rats are harder to home because they look like wild rats so most breeders won’t breed them and only use them to produce other colors. So I couldn’t get any from my mentor.

12/05/11  02:53am

IceGlowFF5
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2246245

Mmm..... In person Percy is grey so I guess he’s a platinum. I looked up hooded and capped rats and they looked like hooded but idk I’m not good at telling colors and markings apart. How can u tell they are mismarked? I think agouti’s are beautiful.

12/05/11  03:27pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: IceGlowFF5   In reference to Message Id: 2246276

Platinum rats don’t have the darker highlights that show up in his photo. They’re a pale grey with no highlights. In all of his photos he looks brown with black threaded through which is only common to the agouti so your camera must be really weird if he’s actually grey.

The girl in the middle is platinum capped:

A hooded rat has a stripe going solidly from their cap to their tail. Since it looks like Zeus only has spots down his back I’d be more inclined to say he’s a mismarked capped rather than a hooded since he doesn’t have a clear stripe but if there is a stripe there he’s hooded. Percy has a stripe but it’s not solid so he’s mismared hooded for sure. A mismarked rat is any rat that doesn’t have proper show markings.

12/05/11  05:21pm

IceGlowFF5
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2246282

ah i see. yeah Zeus has no stripe just spots. here are some more pics of the boys. maybe u can tell better what kind they are. this first pic stays true to the color Percy is if u were to see him in person

12/05/11  06:33pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: IceGlowFF5   In reference to Message Id: 2246295

I would say he’s an agouti. He may not be as dark as some but he’s an agouti. I would also say Zeus is a mismarked hooded since the spots go all the way down instead of just being on his back.

Those are very cute pictures. I really like the one before the last. I wish I could have gotten such good pictures of my rats but they always wanted to climb on the camera XD

12/05/11  11:57pm

IceGlowFF5
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2246325

Cool! :D I have an agouti lol! And thnx :) so many ppl say my pics look professional. I take pics best when they are in black and white.

12/06/11  08:40am

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: IceGlowFF5   In reference to Message Id: 2246355

You’re welcome. I love taking photos too but my better ones are nature themed rather than pets and people XD

12/06/11  09:27pm

IceGlowFF5
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2246405

Lol! Animals and babies are my most favorite subject. I’ve always wanted to open my own pet photography business.

12/06/11  10:29pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: IceGlowFF5   In reference to Message Id: 2246409

You should look into it :3

12/06/11  11:36pm

IceGlowFF5
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2246414

Do u rly think I’m that good?

12/07/11  12:59am

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: IceGlowFF5   In reference to Message Id: 2246421

You’re on your way. You can only get better. I took digital photography classes in high school at the local college that shared the parking lot and they helped a lot. Business classes and lots research would also be good.

12/07/11  03:34am

IceGlowFF5
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2246426

Mmmm I’ll def. Look into it

12/07/11  07:34am

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area