Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Small-Animals Forum

KaleidoRats   Seabee1998   KaleidoRats   Seabee1998   KaleidoRats   Seabee1998   KaleidoRats  
 Member  Message

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Mouse babies

These are the three babies left from a litter of 5 from one of my albino girls and Mew, my agouti spotted male. The brown baby looks like their dad.

The white flecks are from their nesting material.

07/31/11  05:05am

Seabee1998
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2231145

Mouse babies

Awwww! CUTE!

07/31/11  04:46pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Seabee1998   In reference to Message Id: 2231201

Mouse babies

I agree. I’m particularly fond of the cow mice so I was happy to see one of the ones that looked like dad doing well in the litter.

07/31/11  09:05pm

Seabee1998
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2231229

Mouse babies

I used to have mice, quite a while ago but they were the small white ones. Two males, Stuart and Little (I was in Kindergarten and I LOVED the movies). Then I got two rats, Spook and Peaches. How many mice do you have now? And did the other two mice babies die?

08/01/11  12:58am

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Seabee1998   In reference to Message Id: 2231245

Mouse babies

I have 7 adults, five albino females, one copped colored brindle female and one agouti spotted male. Then there are these three that are staying with me as well. My adult females are getting on in age though so I want to get a few new ones to add to my colony as well as another male or two. I also have 18 rats.

The mom ate them. They weren’t healthy enough to survive. I trust the moms. I’ve never had a female eat a baby without good reason.

08/01/11  01:35am

Seabee1998
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2231247

Mouse babies

Ew. Do they eat the whole body?
And what do you do when the babies are born? Do you separate the parents and the babies? I want to get my own mice and rats and mate them. :)

08/01/11  06:21pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Seabee1998   In reference to Message Id: 2231349

Mouse babies

Yeah they usually eat them whole but I’ve found partial bits before.

I actually breed rats and mice as my job. Most of my rats and mice have pedigrees while the few that don’t come from trusted sources. You shouldn’t just buy any mice or rats and put them together. There are tons of things that can go wrong. You have to worry about deformities, mother’s absorbing litters and/or dying because they can’t handle the pregnancy for whatever reason, you have to know what colors and markings are okay to pair together, mothers need special diets, you need to know when to remove the males from the females, etc. A female that doesn’t accept her mate can rip his testicles which results in the male typically being neutered if not put down depending on the damage. If you’re lucky he’ll only need stitches. A mother will eat all of her babies if she’s stressed so you need to know how to keep them, where to keep them and what to do to lower her stress levels. I’ve been studying for years and I still don’t know everything.

I’ve spent tons of money on vet fees as well for things as common as mites from a bag of bad bedding to a male that was loaded down with parasites, a tapeworm and a respiratory infection (that male was never bred). We keep a part of every paycheck set aside just for vet bills.

The babies produced from pairs involving one or both animal not having a pedigree are kept here and I test them for at least three generations keeping track of their trees and health before selling them as pedigreed pets if they never have anything wrong with them and are producing good, strong litters.

I breed my own feeders for my snake as well but even those mice are kept and bred the same as the others.

It takes a lot of time and costs a lot of money to do it properly. I’ve spent over $2,000 on them and I’ve only made about $100 in sales so it’s not something that can make you money.

08/02/11  12:37am

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area