my sister love them and want to save them
please send me a good link or something
and they have no mother

06/20/11  08:34am

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Starling96   In reference to Message Id: 2225836

Baby feeder rat need tosurvive!!!help orphanded

I don’t have any kind of link but I do breed rats so I have some experience with orphaned babies. What you will need to do is go to the store and buy kitten replacer milk. This either comes in a can like a soda or a tin like coffee. The soda can might be easier if you can find it as it’s already mixed. You’ll need an eye dropper to feed the pups with but make sure the formula is room temp. Too cold will chill them and too hot will burn them. I found room temp to work nicely. You will have to feed them every four hours.

You will also need to rub their bellies and/or between their back legs with a warm, wet cloth or tissue to make them go to the bathroom. Think of it like burping a baby.

This isn’t a sure guarantee that they will make it. If their eyes are still closed it’s very hard to successfully raise the pups but it can be done. Once their eyes are open they are usually out of the "danger zone" for the most part. They begin sampling solid foods and will come to accept that as their meal. This happens around 3 weeks old.

You can mix in the kitten replacer milk with oatmeal or even dip bread into it and feed them that way once they are in this stage along with typical rat food. I would suggest something small or to break up rodent blocks when they are weanlings though. I have had babies break their jaws in the past trying to chew up a rodent block. It’s been rare but better to be avoided just in case.

I have heard others in the past suggest buying a nursing female from a pet store to nurse babies and rats do tend to adopt babies easily but you also have to worry about this new rat coming in with an illness that could kill off your babies.

Good luck.

06/21/11  03:51am

Starling96
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2225953

yea i appreciate it
we bought some kitten formula and its working good
two of them have there eyes open 40 percent of the time and there also the biggest
anyways thanks!

06/21/11  11:44am

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Starling96   In reference to Message Id: 2225981

Good to hear. I hope they do well :3

06/21/11  11:37pm

Starling96
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2226110

seem to be doing great i apprciate the help!

06/22/11  02:32am

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area