Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Small-Animals Forum

FutureVet123   Scarletsnake   FutureVet123   Scarletsnake  
 Member  Message

FutureVet123
View Profile

Should I Adopt Her?

So, sadly one of my two rabbits, Heidi, passed away on February 10 of this past year (he was 6 years old and I do not know what happened. He was suddenly lethargic the night before, fine when I woke up, and dead in his cage an hour after). I still have his twin brother, Cookie.
A family from our church lives on a farm and has rabbits. Two months ago, the female had a litter. My mom asked if I wanted to go see them, so we went out to their farm yesterday, and there are about 8 babies. About six are agouti, one is grey-white and the other appeared to be grey-white as well, but he said that in better light it’s actually more of a brown and white. So, I immediately fell for the two grey and white buns.
The smaller of the two is a boy, and the slightly larger is a girl. The boy was more independent, but the girl nestled into the crook of my arm and cuddled up. She let me pet her for the longest time while all the others ran away. Her fur is the softest thing I’ve ever laid my hand on, and her ears are so cute. One is fully down, but the other is kind of crooked at a 45-ish degree angle. So, my mom said that I could put her on hold until she can be weaned, and I did.
However, at this point in time I hadn’t seen the parents yet and had no idea what they looked like (the man brought the babies into a separate room away from Mom). Well, needless to say, these are definitely not dwarf rabbits. I’m not very familiar with rabbit breeds, but they are all lop eared, so my first thought was that they are English Lops, but again I’m not sure. I actually gasped when I saw how big they are, as I am used to my little 3-4 pounders at home. These guys must have been AT LEAST 10-12 pounds, if not more (then again, they are very furry and the mother’s underside is swollen, and I didn’t pick them up so this is only visual speculation). The mother is about the size of my cat, and he is a chunky boy!!!
So I still have a hold on the little grey/brown and white girl, but I’m having reservations. My parents say it must be outside or in the garage if it’s going to be that big. No pet store around here sells hutches that big, so with the help of my grandpa (a talented woodworker) and a friend’s dad, who is a tool master, I would have to construct my own insulated hutch with an attached, secure pen for the yard. My dilemma is whether this is fair to the bunny, since I don’t have a big barn for it to run around in. I am going to college in 2 years, and most dorms have a pet limit of under 10 pounds at best. This is going to be a 12+ pound bunny most likely. So either I will have to go to a flexible university, or leave it home with my parents and younger sister to take care of. Is that fair to the rabbit? It wouldn’t be such a hard choice if she hadn’t been such a sweetheart, and to make matters worse I already have a name picked out!!! What do you think?

05/23/11  06:28pm

Scarletsnake
View Profile

Message To: FutureVet123   In reference to Message Id: 2220658

Should I Adopt Her?

First off, I’m sorry to hear about your other bunny dying. That’s so sad!

I think it’s admirable that you are concerned about whether the living conditions will be fair to this new rabbit. In my opinion, they would not. I know that’s hard to hear since she is so precious & you are no doubt missing your other rabbit too. But rabbits really need space to get out & play & a big rabbit should not be cooped up. I think even though you aren’t happy with the answer, you know the right thing to do since you were mature enough to bring it up in the first place.

You might consider looking up your local branch of the House Rabbit Society online. They often need foster parents for bunnies & maybe that’s a good answer for you since you are going to college soon. I fostered a bunny for a few years before he found his forever home & it was very rewarding. The Society has rabbits of all sizes & what’s better is that they are required to be litterbox trained and neutered to be listed on the site so you will be able to keep your rabbit inside! Good luck!

06/10/11  03:49pm

FutureVet123
View Profile

Message To: Scarletsnake   In reference to Message Id: 2223990

Should I Adopt Her?

Thanks for the advice :-) My mom and I discussed it and a few days after I posted this we called and thanked them for letting us come out and see the rabbits, but said that they were just too big for the environment we could provide. And I’m working at the local vet clinic again this summer, and spending the morning and afternoon picking up after and taking care of animals really tires you out, haha. I think I would be a little frazzled if I came home from work all muddy (I keep telling myself that it’s mud...) and stinky and had a new "little" companion to care for. So now I’m just enjoying my job and volunteering at the animal shelter to get my fix.
Thanks again!!!

06/13/11  06:14pm

Scarletsnake
View Profile

Message To: FutureVet123   In reference to Message Id: 2224631

Should I Adopt Her?

Awww, that sounds like a very tiring & rewarding schedule!!!

06/14/11  01:15am

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area