Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Small-Animals Forum

Welshy6   AndreaPurple   KaleidoRats   AndreaPurple   KaleidoRats   AndreaPurple   KaleidoRats   AndreaPurple   PhantomWings  
 Member  Message

Welshy6
View Profile

Introducing my little boys!!!!

I don’t usually come to this forum, I’m usually in the snakes or lizards forums, but back in decemeber i was down at my local pet shop getting food for my reptiles, when i saw 2 male rats n decided to buy them, I’v always kept rats since i was about 7 yrs old, but when my last few passed on, i decided not to get any more and just keep my reptiles. I’m so glad i decided to get these sweet lil boys, but then a few weeks ago 1 of them, who was called JD, became really ill, practically over nite, then that nite he passed away, apparently he had a hidden tumor, that affected his brain and took him extemly quick, it was quite upsetting, but I still had the other 1 called Jager and couldn’t bare to see him on his own, so i went out to buy 1 rat, but there was only 2 at the pet shop and i couldn’t leave the other 1 on his own, so i came home with 2 lol, they are all now living together, there are the odd quables now and again, but other wise their ok, well thats enough from me lol
Here they are:

Salem

Zoro

Jager

Their cage, all nice and clean

Just because i love this pic, Zoro chillin

Here we have Salem in the front, Zoro at the back & Jager hidden underneath them

JD, RIP, JD is the 1 on the top & thats Jager underneath him

05/05/11  01:31pm

AndreaPurple
View Profile

Message To: Welshy6   In reference to Message Id: 2217500

Very very cute boys! I would have ended up doing the exact same thing you did, I wouldnt have been able to leave just one of them behind as I know how social they are! lol

I have 2 girls, both coming up on 3 years old, so I know they wont be around much longer, but I am hopeful that they will be around for a full 4 or 5 years, I would be so grateful, I love my girls.

I have made up my mind that I will always have a couple of rats as pets, after these girls go I will definitely get a couple more. Probably males though, as they seem to become more mellow then the females do.

Thanks for sharing your pics!!

05/05/11  03:00pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: AndreaPurple   In reference to Message Id: 2217524

To Welshy6: Congrats on your new little ratties though it’s sad that JD passed on so soon. I just wanted to mention that you should cover the wire mesh floors of the cage with something to make them solid in case you haven’t as the ratties could develop bumblefoot. It looks like you have covered them in the photo of the cage but I wanted to mention it just in case :)

To AndreaPurple: I just wanted to say that rats typically only live for 3 years and females tend not to even live even that long (usually only 2 - 2.5 years) so I’m impressed with the longevity of your girls. If you bought them from a pet shop I’m even more impressed. I’ve never had a pet shop rat live longer than 6 months to a year unfortunately.

All of my current rats have come from breeders, have pedigrees and great family health and even then so far neither of the breeders I worked with have produced a rat that has lived longer than 3.5 years (The rats I have bred myself are still under a year old). I have never had the opportunity to meet a rat or a breeder who has owned a rat that lived longer than that, though I hope someday I can say I have. I’m currently breeding my rats with the goal of promoting longer, healthier lifespans since the main issue most rat lovers have is that they only live for such a short time.

Males are generally more mellow but get to know the males first. I have some boys that act like they’ve been fed pixie stix while I have others that are content to be lap rats. There are very calm girls out there too so it just takes some looking around for the right ratty.

Good luck and I hope your rats do continue to live very long lives :) It would be awesome if they lived to be 5.

05/07/11  07:16am

AndreaPurple
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2217816

Hey KaleidoRats... yes my girls are actually from a pet store... a small one, not a chain and the guy breeds his own in the store. I actually just bought one rat, she is a pionted, and a few weeks later she had 7 babies. We found homes for 3 of the babies, one we kept and the other 3 I brought back to the pet store.
I work with a girl who has rats and has kept them for years now and she had one that lived 5 years, so that is why I hold out hope that maybe mine will live past 3 years. I have to say though that Flower, my momma rat is looking pretty "ratty" these days. She is losing the fur on her shoulders and her fur isnt soft anymore. So, sadly, I dont think she will be around much longer. :o(

05/12/11  11:15pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: AndreaPurple   In reference to Message Id: 2218738

Poor Flower :( You’re sure it’s old age rattiness and not mites or something?

05/13/11  11:20am

AndreaPurple
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2218801

Yeah I’m pretty sure. Its definitely not mites.

05/13/11  04:05pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: AndreaPurple   In reference to Message Id: 2218829

Well that kinda sucks. Mites suck too but compared to the alternative.... Well I hope if/when she passes that it is painless and easy.

05/16/11  09:00am

AndreaPurple
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2219351

I hope so too. Thank you.

05/16/11  02:21pm

PhantomWings
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2217816

My female from the pet shop is 3 years and a couple months old. Her sister died of a stomach tumor, but my mom said no more rats. Well, anyway, my remaining rat’s name is Sophie.

05/18/11  08:58pm

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area