Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Small-Animals Forum

Scarletsnake   Cphill58   Scarletsnake   Scarletsnake   KaleidoRats   Scarletsnake   KaleidoRats  
 Member  Message

Scarletsnake
View Profile

Anyone else have "nippy" mice?

Some of you may have read my previous post about my depressed mice. I have two left after the sweetest one, Miso, suddenly died when I’d only had them a couple weeks. The remaining two are now seeming a bit less depressed. The white one, (we just call her White Mouse; I know that’s pretty lame) wants to be held again.

Problem is this: I’m kinda scared of her! LOL she bites me! I mean obviously if she wanted to bite my finger right open she easily could, so I don’t think she is trying to be mean. She never draws blood; not even close. Seems like she’s just curious. First it was just my fingernails, then my ring, then my fingertips. I pull my hand away when she does it & when I put my hand back she grabs it with her paws & tries to take another nibble. My husband picks her up using a scooping method but that isn’t working for me. I have tried washing my hands well before I try to pick her up in case she smells some kind of food. No luck.

NOW, the other mouse, Spook, is finally becoming less shy with me. We never thought that would happen in a million years. But last time I cleaned their cage she walked into my hand when I was putting them back in from their little temporary holding cage. Normally she would bolt when she even saw us approach her cage. If you try to handle her she jumps & runs. With a lot of patience, yesterday I got her to come out of her little sleeping house, smell me, & take food before she ran. Well I just tried to do it again & she was much more receptive. BUT, she freakin’ bit me like White Mouse & now I think that will be her habit too.

Are some mice just like this? Why? Is there any way to train them out of it? I have had several pet mice in the past & NONE of them have ever been so bitey. They would maybe nibble my rings but never nip my skin. Idk what to do & I’m sad I can’t handle my pets.

04/22/11  12:44am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Scarletsnake   In reference to Message Id: 2215478

Are you offering any salt lick ...or mineral supplements... green veggies ...what is the diet..any meat as a treat?

Cp

04/22/11  11:05pm

Scarletsnake
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2215588

Hey cphill,

You may be onto something!!! No, I have not been giving them any salt/mineral licks. And when I think back, I DID give those to my pet mice in the past (who never ever bit me). I always assumed they didn’t like them very much b/c it looked like they weren’t eating them. But mice are tiny after all, and those mineral blocks are large enough for rabbits or guinea pigs. So my previous mice could very well have been licking away at them but I didn’t notice b/c their little tongues hardly made a dent in them before I threw them out (I usually tossed the old mineral licks when I changed the bedding & replaced them, since they got peed on). So I think you may have found the answer! My skin tastes salty to them & they are not getting that in their diet.

I feed them mainly rodent blocks (lab blocks). They also get oats, dried fruit treats for small animals, cooked white rice on occasion, bits of pasta, and these green small animal "rings" which are have corn, wheat, soybeans, alfalfa, etc. in a crunchy ring. Their absolute favorite treat is when I give them stale bits of this natural whole wheat bread I eat (also has flax seeds in it). They will drop anything else they’re eating & snatch it up!

I also give them sesame seeds as a treat every once in a while. I have tried giving them a few types of dark green lettuces but they were disinterested. They also wouldn’t eat apple or baby carrots. I know fruits & veggies are high in sugar & shouldn’t be fed all the time but it’s weird to me that these mice don’t like them at all!

Oh yeah, and they have apple wood sticks they chew on sometimes.

04/25/11  05:27pm

Scarletsnake
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2215588

Hey cphill,

You may be onto something!!! No, I have not been giving them any salt/mineral licks. And when I think back, I DID give those to my pet mice in the past (who never ever bit me). I always assumed they didn’t like them very much b/c it looked like they weren’t eating them. But mice are tiny after all, and those mineral blocks are large enough for rabbits or guinea pigs. So my previous mice could very well have been licking away at them but I didn’t notice b/c their little tongues hardly made a dent in them before I threw them out (I usually tossed the old mineral licks when I changed the bedding & replaced them, since they got peed on). So I think you may have found the answer! My skin tastes salty to them & they are not getting that in their diet.

I feed them mainly rodent blocks (lab blocks). They also get oats, dried fruit treats for small animals, cooked white rice on occasion, bits of pasta, and these green small animal "rings" which are have corn, wheat, soybeans, alfalfa, etc. in a crunchy ring. Their absolute favorite treat is when I give them stale bits of this natural whole wheat bread I eat (also has flax seeds in it). They will drop anything else they’re eating & snatch it up!

I also give them sesame seeds as a treat every once in a while. I have tried giving them a few types of dark green lettuces but they were disinterested. They also wouldn’t eat apple or baby carrots. I know fruits & veggies are high in sugar & shouldn’t be fed all the time but it’s weird to me that these mice don’t like them at all!

Oh yeah, and they have apple wood sticks they chew on sometimes.

04/25/11  05:31pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Scarletsnake   In reference to Message Id: 2215928

I would also like to suggest that maybe instead of pulling your hand back when they nip, keep it there. If they aren’t drawing blood and really gnawing at you they really might just be investigating you. If you pull away they may think it’s a game or at the very least will be more interested in nipping you again because you showed a strange reaction.

I’ve noticed that my roommate gets nipped a lot more because he tends to give a big reaction and he’s always afraid he’s going to be nipped when it comes to certain groups. I just let them nip me. They usually get bored because I don’t react and stop doing it. I let my babies chew on my fingers until they’re satisfied and have yet to have one of the rats or mice I’ve raised myself nip as they got older except for when they groom my fingers and ears but that usually tickles so it’s fun.

Just keep trying. I think it would help a lot if you could bring yourself to set your hand in their cage and let them nibble at you a bit so long as they aren’t hurting or drawing blood. :)

04/26/11  06:54am

Scarletsnake
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2215990

OK, thanks KaleidoRats. I’ll try your advice as much as it does make me nervous to leave my hand there! Even though they haven’t drawn blood I get scared that the 2nd bite will be harder if I give them a chance, know what I mean? I have lots of experience in wildlife rehab so it makes me feel really silly to be afraid of my own pet mice! I know that animals can sense when we are nervous or confident & that my mood is probably making a difference too. This is just weird to me since I’ve never had mice bite me in the past. And since these ones didn’t bite me at first but then started to. Maybe its their way of getting to know me better so its actually a good thing? I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

04/27/11  03:44pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Scarletsnake   In reference to Message Id: 2216203

It’s been my experience with most animals that the second bite is softer if they’re just checking you out so hopefully that will be the same with your mice. Good luck :)

04/28/11  10:38pm

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area