Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Small-Animals Forum

PhantomWings   PhantomWings   Chelsp94   PhantomWings   KaleidoRats  
 Member  Message

PhantomWings
View Profile

Hyper Rat!

I have a 3 year old female rat, and the only thing to show she is aging is she sleeps more when I’m not there. But when I do get her out to play, she is so hyper I can’t hold on to her for more than 10 seconds. She docent act scared, just ready to go and explore. I’ve read about tickling rats and "scritching" them, but I just can’t get her to hold still. Some background information: her sister died of a tumor 2-3 months ago, she lives in a cage about 2 1/2-3 foot tall, with a hammock and water bottle and as much rat food as she can eat. I really want to get her to sleep or cuddle with me, but so far it’s NOT HAPPENING.

04/17/11  08:14pm

PhantomWings
View Profile

Message To: PhantomWings   In reference to Message Id: 2214881

Hyper Rat!

Bump

04/18/11  08:13am

Chelsp94
View Profile

Message To: PhantomWings   In reference to Message Id: 2214930

Hyper Rat!

You could maybe try taking her out more often and getting her used to being handled. Maybe you can get her a friend if she misses her, maybe she will play more and use up most of her energy. I don’t have rats but I do have ferrets, and when I need to handle them they are really hyper so I let them run around for a while until they tire out. :)

04/22/11  11:28pm

PhantomWings
View Profile

Message To: Chelsp94   In reference to Message Id: 2215594

Hyper Rat!

Thanks, but she is used to being handled, I take her out at least once a day

04/23/11  07:50am

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: PhantomWings   In reference to Message Id: 2215626

Hyper Rat!

Unfortunately females are usually very hyper so you probably won’t calm her down. The males are the more laid back ones, though, there are exceptions to that. I have some boys that seem like they’ve eaten pixie stix while I have a few girls that just want to sit on my shoulder and play in my hair. You could try holding her more often though, it might help. I hold my rats as often as I can. I’ve had adults out all day before and we just hung out watching movies or they sat on my shoulder while I did chores :)

04/26/11  07:34am

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area