Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Small-Animals Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

JessiM   Amyers   JessiM   Amyers   JessiM   Amyers   JessiM   Amyers   Tinetine   JessiM   Tinetine   JessiM   Tinetine   Tinetine   JessiM   Tinetine   JessiM   Tinetine   JessiM   Tinetine   JessiM   Tinetine   JessiM   Tinetine   JessiM   Tinetine   JessiM   Tinetine   Tinetine   JessiM  
Pages 1 2 Next

Member  Message

JessiM
View Profile

Update on rat pups cchek out our cuteness!!!

well the cute lil buggers are fully furred now and eyes wide open...exploring everything they see... and are starting to try solids mommy rat must be sooo happy that they will wean soon...

my double rexs are already starting to loose fur lol

here are some pics
hades (left) must get up in the camera... his double rex bro next to him

the female im keeping is on the far right... with the thiner strip that comes to a point

and one of the double rexs that im keeping its a boy and no idea for a name

they are all healthy and weigh 34.5 grams each o.o lil fatties

from

jess

06/20/10  02:27pm

Amyers
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2157112

OMG they are wayyy to cute!! :D haha i love the last one ^^

06/20/10  05:10pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Amyers   In reference to Message Id: 2157138

yeah they are adorable lil things lol

06/20/10  07:43pm

Amyers
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2157176

i have a question to ask...do rats have a strong urine smell? is it similar to mice?

06/20/10  08:20pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Amyers   In reference to Message Id: 2157180

they are not as bad as mice, but if you dont clean the cage often then yes it smells quite terribly...especially male rats. they are stinky things
lol

06/20/10  09:33pm

Amyers
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2157190

okay haha thanks i know how stinky mice can be lol

06/20/10  09:49pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Amyers   In reference to Message Id: 2157193

yeah, i use to breed all sorts of colors with mice it was fun except the smell lol alot of cleaning lol

06/20/10  11:13pm

Amyers
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2157209

yeah the smell is the worst. my guinea pig wasn’t even as bad haha

06/21/10  12:10am

Tinetine
View Profile

Message To: Amyers   In reference to Message Id: 2157219

incase you still dont have a name for the baby thats nameless... here are a few cute ones: blaire, paz, louigi, ronaldo, havarti, momo, palaris, julian, mancala, walden, avey, cheerio, and pooter.

07/12/10  12:55pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Tinetine   In reference to Message Id: 2162027

pooter lol thats funny... and no still have not named him yet.... we got 3 left out of the litter that we kept....hades, pipsqeak and nameless...

07/12/10  01:51pm

Tinetine
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2162031

okay.... well a cute thing to do is summarize the baby’s characteristics (the one without a name) then look up the greek gods (there are soooo many), just look up the god’s names and description, then match which god the nameless baby is most like. i dont believe in them or anything, its just that, i think that most of the gods have cool names. i have used this technique before...sooo cute. ahhah... welll goood luck with that!!

07/12/10  06:50pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Tinetine   In reference to Message Id: 2162140

i’m more into the Egyptian gods and native american spirits, but i will find a suitable name for the nearly bald little thing..lol

07/12/10  09:44pm

Tinetine
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2162181

hahahah alrighty then. ideas never hurt. :D good luck.

07/12/10  10:23pm

Tinetine
View Profile

Message To: Tinetine   In reference to Message Id: 2162196

i was just wondering if you had any older rats?... like not OLD.. but older that pups? i am 14 and i hav had 2 rats before but i was WAYYYY more inexperienced and i had to give them up for adoption. but now i have done lots of research and i have seen how-to vids about rats sooo my mom said i could get 2 more. im plannin on gettin a dumbo and a fancy. im guessin u have plenty of knowledge about rats seeing you have had a litter so i was going to ask you a few questions. starting with... what kind of food do you suggest?.. i already know that i will need to give them fresh fruits and veggies. but what kind of lab block/pellets?... i read that ’mazuri’ is good. but what do your rats like? and alsooo.. do you give your rats a bath?... i no that some ppl say it isnt good for them cuz it washes the oils from their skin,but what do u think?. and also... do u leave urs on free range?... do they poop occasionally? cuz i already have ferret poop stains. i dont need anymore. well. thanks for anything you answer to.

07/13/10  12:38pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Tinetine   In reference to Message Id: 2162297

i have been breeding rats for several years now... mainly to sell as pet or snake food... or just as snake food for my two pythons...

but i do keep several rats as pets, lol

they love grapes and apples, bananas etc... and some veggies... (mine are picky) brown rice mixed with corn and a bit of turkey sometimes... some meats are good for them... like chicken and turkey.. but the white meat only. the dark is to fatty.

As for the blocks, Mazuri is a good brand but expensive as heck.... kaytee is what i usually use,zupreem stuff like that. also nuts.. like peanuts as treats.

i give mine a bath every two weeks or three. it helps keep their oder down. and depending on the shampoo you use ... keeps the fur soft and the skin moist so there is no infections like dry flakey skin.

their tails get really nasty after a while...too... they turn brown. with poo lol

i never leave my rats free roam, we have cats and terriers which wouldnt hesitate to kill... that and rats poop everywhere and pee... especially males..

BTW, males are more friendly than females, females tend to be more territorial... but females are more clean... lol

rat poop is easy to clean up thankfully lol, oh and make sure they have things to do, bored rats cause havoc.. even when in their cage..lol

i have another litter of babies on the way due maybe sunday.... this will be my 65th litter lol

07/13/10  02:19pm

Tinetine
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2162320

wow... are u selling any?... what area do u live in?.. i live in MS. and thanks for the info. i am gettin two rats this weekend.

07/13/10  04:56pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Tinetine   In reference to Message Id: 2162349

I’m not selling any at the moment, i will be with this next litter. but i live in Indiana lol and i dont like to ship lol i dont trust fed ex or UPS lol

07/13/10  05:57pm

Tinetine
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2162369

oh hahaah yaaa... well i just went today and looked at some pups at the local petshop. they are 20 dollars but they look 6 months. sooo i guess thats pretty good.... do you have any cages your not using?...send me one!! hahhh jk. i do need to get a cage though... and my mom is not helping me buy one cuz she said im doing this on my own since she has paid for all of my past pets. ..hahahh.

07/13/10  08:18pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Tinetine   In reference to Message Id: 2162396

dont forget to get the cage first and the materials before you pick out your rats... and be very careful about choosing a rat from a store.... not all are healthy. make sure they let you see it and hold it... and such...

and pick a cage that has plenty of room to climb around... and multiple floors and of course escape proof lol ...
and i never have empty cages lol unless a snake got loose and had a mid night lunch lol but that never happens with my two.. only once but that was when i had chickens lol

07/13/10  09:37pm

Tinetine
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2162410

hahah okay. im saving money already. i am gettin a multi level ferret cage. and all of the accesories. its gonna take awhile. ahhaha. uhhmm... how many rats do u have?

07/14/10  01:51pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Tinetine   In reference to Message Id: 2162553

errr, well the number is always fluctuating lol at the moment 3 males and 2 females and about maybe a litter of 13 on the way. my rats always have big litters lol.. must be the food. haha

but usually have alot more 8 or 10

07/14/10  04:32pm

Tinetine
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2162592

what do you do with all of the pups? and wow, thats cool. a new litter?.. when is the momma expecting?

07/14/10  06:56pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Tinetine   In reference to Message Id: 2162649

she is expecting some time this week i think... she is massive lol

they are snake food mostly, its cheaper to breed rats for my snakes then buy them. that and i also sell them as pets or as food for reps.

07/14/10  08:33pm

Tinetine
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2162673

ohhhhh....ew. ...everyone has to eat though. are u going to put pics of the massive momma on here?

07/16/10  08:16pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Tinetine   In reference to Message Id: 2163006

no, camera is dead lol she just looks like she has eaten two golf balls lol

07/16/10  11:12pm

Tinetine
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2163034

when they are pregnant, does it look like they have a huuugggeeeee tumor in their belly ahhaha... oh and btw... i am getting 3 rats next weekend. i am still saving money... and i will pics on of them.... SOOOO EXCITED!!!! i am not reeeeaaaalllly sure what kind of cage i should get though. price range is like 80-120

07/17/10  12:13pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Tinetine   In reference to Message Id: 2163112

the bigger the better, jsut make sure the bar spacing is not to wide... they are smart and can squeeze through anything.

yeah it does look like that, or they are sumo wrestlers with a very bad additude lol.

i know all the babies will be pretty much black and white.. maybe a slate grey in there... and a possible few double rexs and of course all are dumbo eared lol that i know... thats all i breed lol

07/17/10  12:17pm

Tinetine
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2163113

have you ever gotten "high whites" or babies with mea colon.. i dont fullly under stand how this works. does it have to do with the color of the parents fur?

07/17/10  01:39pm

Tinetine
View Profile

Message To: JessiM   In reference to Message Id: 2163113

have you ever gotten "high whites" or babies with mega colon.. i dont fullly under stand how this works. does it have to do with the color of the parents fur?

07/17/10  01:39pm

JessiM
View Profile

Message To: Tinetine   In reference to Message Id: 2163121

no idea, i have had rats with every color and patteren... hairless and nearly hairless,,, even patchwork rats lol.

and even rats with odd eye (eyes with diff. colors) and never had an issue. but had babies with swollen stomachs/ intestines. lol it was not pretty.

07/17/10  02:30pm

Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area