Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Small-Animals Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Small-Animals Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

LilKitty   LilKitty   Clawedfrogsrule   Trixiefrogz   LilKitty   Trixiefrogz   Ellagee   LilKitty   Rattaleo   LilKitty   Clawedfrogsrule   LilKitty   Rattaleo   LilKitty   Clawedfrogsrule   LilKitty   MissYouGeico   Mcnasty  

Member  Message

LilKitty
View Profile

Flemish Giant Questions

i’m interested in getting a flemish giant. i have a huge ferret nation cage but i don’t believe he could fit through the passage ways tothe next level. and the bottom pan is made from plastic (but is removeable) so could i just confine him to one level and remove the plastic pan so it’s just the thick wires? or could i just leave the plastic pan and give him LOTS of chews? also a food question. i’ve heard you HAVE to feed hay and that you didn’t have to so which is? and if i do feed hay could i feed the Kaytee timothy hay cubes? and also for pellets which of these 3 is better? Zupreema Nature’s Promise rabbit food made of Timothy Hay, or Nutriphase pellet rabbit food, or Kaytee Fiesta Rabbit food??

Kitty

06/04/09  07:20pm

LilKitty
View Profile

Message To: LilKitty   In reference to Message Id: 2016487

Flemish Giant Questions

no one has any bunnies at all that can help me lol

06/09/09  04:58pm

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: LilKitty   In reference to Message Id: 2019264

Flemish Giant Questions

I don’t have experience with Flemish Giants in particular, but I have a rabbit so I can help a little.
As far as the cage, while I have no idea what the ferret cage is like, probably any small animal cage you’ll find will be too small for the type of rabbit you want, which will get HUGE as I’m sure you know. You’re better off either building a custom setup, sectioning off part of a room for it, or maybe finding a large dog cage or something similar with plenty of floor space.

Rabbits need hay, it’s the most important part of their diet. Timothy hay cubes could be a good treat to chew on, but loose timothy hay is necessary and should be given plenty of.

With pellets, don’t get any "fiesta" mixes, they just have a lot of other ingredients that aren’t even good for rabbits. Stick to something that has mostly timothy hay as an ingredient. And be sure to incorporate veggies into the diet also, you can google lists of rabbit-safe foods to get a good sense of the variety and nutritional benefits of certain foods. Just remember to introduce new foods slowly, a little bit at a time and watch for any signs of digestive issues.

Just do a lot of research before you get the bunny, buy a book, look stuff up online to get a feel for what to expect and how to take proper care of it. There are a lot of behavioral things to take into account (headbuts are actually a good thing), and it’s good to know about what health issues to look out for and what the symptoms might be.

Good luck

06/09/09  07:10pm

Trixiefrogz
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 2019353

Flemish Giant Questions

rabbits need cages up off the shavings, with a grate and a try underneath. they can get sores and infestions, very painful and could possibly require amputation or euthanasia. especially the large breeds like Flemish, my friend breeds them. if it’s going to be a house rabbit, a cage about 4’x4’x2’h will do for sleeping at night, but, as clawed said, they are HUGE. immense rabbits, I love them though. ;)
if it’s going to be an outdoor rabbit you need to build a LARGE run, at lest four feet tall if you want to go in there with him/her at least 10x10. these rabbits are bigger than small dogs. I think the biggest I’ve seen was 26 lb. and the smallest was still a whopping 24 lb. they can reach about four feet from nose to tail.
again as clawed said no "fiesta"! it’s the worst thing you can possibly do for your bun. I feed Hutch 17 by Blue Seal to my buns, it’s the best there is. Just don’t get Show Hutch Deluxe 17, it’s too high in protein, I think.
Aaverage sized buck
does are bigger.

06/12/09  01:36pm

LilKitty
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 2019353

Flemish Giant Questions

well i got my Flemish Giant the other day. well right now she is in a 4 foot wide 3 foot long 2 foot tall cage. and she is on shaving. they arn’t cedar or pine because i know those are bad for the respiratory system. they are called royal wood shavings or something of the sort. and she is on pellets that are purely made of timothy hay. and she gets carrots and spinach dayly and then when those run out i’ll mix it up with different ones. and yeah i’ve never liked fiesta mixes even for my rats when i had rats.
and yeah i know her cage is small but i put her on a leash and take her out for 3-4 hours a day either she roams the house or i take her outside in the yard and let her chew on some grass and such. and i’ll get some pics up of her soon.

06/13/09  08:24pm

Trixiefrogz
View Profile

Message To: LilKitty   In reference to Message Id: 2021789

Flemish Giant Questions

Awesome!

06/15/09  08:46pm

Ellagee
View Profile

Message To: Trixiefrogz   In reference to Message Id: 2022939

Flemish Giant Questions

Pictures(:

06/16/09  08:06am

LilKitty
View Profile

Message To: Ellagee   In reference to Message Id: 2023141

Flemish Giant Questions

Well grr all my pictures are to big to put on here how do i make them smaller?? but anyway she is the sandy color with the black lacing on the ears and such she kinda looks like a wild rabbit but much bigger.. she is 2-3 months old and weighs around six pounds. i feed her two times a day and refresh her water everyday plus the long hours outside of the cage. i’m still deciding on a name though so far i came up with
Autumn
Aura
Crimson
Draven
Dusk
Ember
Eclipse
Echo
Friday
Infinity
Ivy
Ivory
Jinx
Jezebell
Lacy
Luna
Iris
Lydia
Raven
Saphira
Trinity
if you like any of these let me know and if you have any name suggestions i wanna hear em in the mean time i gotta figure out how to make my pictures format to a smaller size lol

06/16/09  03:38pm

Rattaleo
View Profile

Message To: LilKitty   In reference to Message Id: 2023401

Flemish Giant Questions

I like Jezebell, Iris, or Ember.

But pictures would help in my decision.

06/16/09  05:21pm

LilKitty
View Profile

Message To: Rattaleo   In reference to Message Id: 2023451

Flemish Giant Questions

lol i would put pictures but i don’t know how to make the format smaller so i can put them on here or should i go through photobucket??

06/17/09  05:43pm

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: LilKitty   In reference to Message Id: 2024103

Flemish Giant Questions

I think photobucket usually works.

I like the name Autumn :)

06/17/09  07:01pm

LilKitty
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 2024137

Flemish Giant Questions

ok yay!! here she is!!

this one is a little blurry

she looks really relaxed in this picture for it to be only her first week here

and these were al lthe first day i got her

06/18/09  04:56pm

Rattaleo
View Profile

Message To: LilKitty   In reference to Message Id: 2024719

Flemish Giant Questions

What did you end up naming her?

06/18/09  05:01pm

LilKitty
View Profile

Message To: Rattaleo   In reference to Message Id: 2024727

Flemish Giant Questions

still deciding lol usually it doesn’t take me this long but for soem reason with her i am just being picky about it but i’m not sure why i guess i just want her name to be perfect

06/18/09  06:42pm

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: LilKitty   In reference to Message Id: 2024799

Flemish Giant Questions

omg look at those ears! I love young rabbits with their oversized ears, a little reminder of how big they’ll have to get to grow into them ;) I found old pictures of our rabbits, and it’s so funny to see these little fuzzballs with giant ears.

Very cute rabbit ;)

06/18/09  08:30pm

LilKitty
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 2024875

Flemish Giant Questions

thanks yeah her ears and her silly personality are the things i like the most about her that and she rarely potty’s on the floor! usually she’ll run back to her cage and use it there if she has to go but sometimes she has her slip ups like any thing but we love her just the same

06/19/09  08:47am

MissYouGeico
View Profile

Message To: LilKitty   In reference to Message Id: 2025127

Flemish Giant Questions

Make sure you take care of all those cords,
if she chews them up she could get electrocution,
and get seriously hurt.

10/04/11  07:28pm

Mcnasty
View Profile

Message To: MissYouGeico   In reference to Message Id: 2239220