Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Skinks Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dharna   Reptile freako   Dharna   Reptile freako   Dharna   Reptile freako   Reptile freako   Kaegro  

Member  Message

Dharna
View Profile

Hibernating skinks?

OK so I’m outside looking for tadpoles and dandelions in my yard to feed the two hungry red eared sliders back home when I pick up a log and see these two wired lizard like things wriggling in the cold air and just before the rooster (yes, I said rooster) could snap them up for lunch I quickly grabed them and ran in the house screaming like a little girl because they are the biggest dang liards I have ever seen in my life.

Luckily I had a rather large reptile tank on hand and it needed a reptile to occupy it. You see last week I sent my husband out to buy a larger tank for the red eared sliders, but my husband didn’t notice the little sticker in the bottom of the tank that read "for reptiles ONLY do not fill with water" and red eared sliders need water...duh! So anyway I tossed them in the tank and went offf to see what I had rescued and I believe it is a male and female skink. One is larger than the other and it is a creamy brown like color with redish orange cheeks. The other is black with a beautifuly striped tail.

We’ve had them a couple of days now and they spend pretty much all of their time under the dirt. In fact they spend so much time under the dirt I thought maybe the boys had opened the lid or they had died so I ran my finger through the dirt and I realized they were alive and kicking. So after I stoped screaming I offered them some more food.

So far we have tried bananas, strawberries, canned dog food, eggs and crickets. If they are eating any of it they aren’t eating much. A green anole leapt in the cage today and I just left it in (they sneak in the house when its cold outside) anyway a few hours later I noticed Godzilla (that’s what we call the bigger one that I assume is a male) attacked it and killed it...so as sick as it sounds I thougt "lunch?" but no he just dug himself back in a hole. So what was that about? Did the anole wake him up so he killed it?

Anyway I’m a homeschooler so I would love to keep them as a project and them let them go again in the spring when it’s warm. I hate to let them go now because its cold and we also have 3 roosters, 5 chickens, 4 chicks and 5 cats roaming the yard....not to mentions hawks, racoons, etc and yeah I think it would be cool to study how they behave as a class project.

So does anyone have an explaination on the staying under ground all the time? Could they be hibernating?

01/26/15  11:11pm

Reptile freako
View Profile

Message To: Dharna   In reference to Message Id: 2312086

Hibernating skinks?

They pretty much live under ground.....also they’re scared of you....let them be for about a week
Also they eat crickets,worms.stuff like that
Another thing if you keep them you keep them until they die. They’ll get used to finding food just waiting for them and will die in the wild if you keep until ospring then release.... So make up your mind

I’m here so just answer when ready...

01/28/15  09:22am

Dharna
View Profile

Message To: Reptile freako   In reference to Message Id: 2312100

Hibernating skinks?

Yeah I’m cool with keeping them. Like I said I ended up with a huge reptile tank that I thought I could use for my red eared sliders. BTW they realy should have a big sticker that says "even though this LOOKS like a fish tank it isn’t and you can’t fill it with water" But, now I’m happy because I have a place for these skinks.

The boys and I are ok with them not being "social". Our RES aren’t social either unless you have fish then they litteraly beg like puppy dogs. The only problem is I can’t shake the fear that he has crawled in and died so I have this unrelentless urge to dig through the sand and check on him. Which I know will only end in both of us getting the crap scared out of us

The big one came out today and ate a cricket and I think a piece of banana. Then he laid in his water dish. It’s 10" x 6" x 3" and it’s filled with water but has rocks built up to the edge so it can climb out. Do they drink water from a dish or from dropplets
on leaves like anoles?

After that he laid under the heat lamp for a while. We walked very slowly and quitely up to the tank and looked at him and he didnt freak out, he just looked back. After a while he dug a hole and disappeared.

Thanks for the reply BTW. If I can think of any questions I’ll let ya know.

01/28/15  03:50pm

Reptile freako
View Profile

Message To: Dharna   In reference to Message Id: 2312104

Hibernating skinks?

Sounds great so far...also please research skinks and try to find the certain breed of skink....( five lined skink,fire skink etc )
Also what does your setup look like???

01/28/15  04:49pm

Dharna
View Profile

Message To: Reptile freako   In reference to Message Id: 2312105

Hibernating skinks?

OK, I’ve been doing my research and I’m 99% sure they are Five Lined Skinks.

The larger one is a golden brown with orangish red cheeks and is about 6" from nose to back legs (at least 12" from nose to tip of tail). It’s much more active than the smaller one. Comes out to sun bathe everyday and doesn’t seem nervous when I look through the glass at him. He’s beautiful and the most awesome creature I’ve ever seen (I know that must sound freaky). Anyway, from what I’ve read I think it’s a he...orangish red cheeks no noticeable lines one his tail and mainly because the one he was found with looks like a Young female. Which brings me to skink #2.

The smaller one is jet black and has a rainbow of stripes on her tail. She comes out every other day to sun bathe. Typically she drinks some water then digs back underground. I can’t get within a foot of the tank and she freaks out so I’m guessing at the size, but I would say maybe 6" from head to tail. She is bigger than an adult green anole which I’m more familiar with because they literally run wild inside my house (but that’s another story). Taking the color, size and her approximation to the "male" when I found them into account, I would say she is a juvenile female.

As for the tank it’s 3’ x 1.5’ x 1.5’ . The bottom of the tank has a layer of charcoal fabric, then a layer of screen so they can’t eat the charcoal, then a layer of hydroton (they are small clay pebbles used in hydroponics which is another class project we are in the middle of) on top of that is a mixture of coconut choir and beach sand. It’s any where from 3" deep in some spots to 6" deep in one corner. There is a ceramic dish that i discribed in an earlier post filed with water and pebbles pilled up in one corner so the little one can get in and out easlily ( I assume they can’t swim). We have oyster shells scattered here and there and some tree limbs from our pecan trees that are coveren in lichen proped up in a corner and they crawl up and down it alot. I also planted a lot of moss from the yard and the boys put in some rocks they got from the dinosaur exhibit last month. Oh and a screen and a heat lamp and I think that’s it.

We’ve been feeding it ladybugs and crickets. I’ve put blueberries, strawberries and banana in there but I dont think they eat it. The crickets and ladybugs dissapear so either they are eating it or the green anoles are. Which brings me to my next point and i hope your not a big anole fan because this is disturbing.

The green anoles hang out on the screen of the tank because of the light and the ladybugs inside. So when i open the tank to change the water dish they jump in and sometimes i dont notice or i cant catch it so it gets left in. Now when this happens the big skink will usualy kill it. The first time it killed one and just left in and dug back in so i took it out. But today it got one and I dont see a dead body so i think he ate it. Is that ok?

02/07/15  02:18pm

Reptile freako
View Profile

Message To: Dharna   In reference to Message Id: 2312225

Hibernating skinks?

Ok the first one is " goldish-brown ) its a ground skink
Second one is a five lined skink

Anoles and skinks are not good together separate

They eat live bugs no fruits/veggies/or raw meat

02/07/15  05:26pm

Reptile freako
View Profile

Hibernating skinks?

And they hide because they’re scared of you...let them be...

Your setup should have woodland setup :)

02/07/15  05:28pm

Kaegro
View Profile

Hibernating skinks?

They could be hibernating, but most skinks are diggers, and will spend most of their time underground until and unless they get used to you. If they’re wild and not someone’s lost pets, it’ll probably take them several weeks to learn that you’re not a threat.

As far as setup and diet go it’s hard to tell without knowing what kind of skink it is. If you caught them in the wild and they’re native to your area then having the tank set up like the area outside your home is probably a good idea. Food-wise, most skinks are insectivorous, but a few can and do eat fruits and veggies, and it seems like yours might be one of them. Make sure to give them options until you know exactly what they are and what they need, would be my suggestion

For the eating Anoles...I can’t say a lot. I know that pinkies (baby mice or rats) can be fed to some skinks as treats but only rarely because of their high fat content. With anoles being other reptiles, I don’t know if this would apply the same way. I would definitely try to prevent it, as even if nutrition-wise they’re perfect they could be carrying parasites or a disease that could make the skinks really ill.

Also, the male could be viewing the Anoles as competition or a threat and killing them for territorial reasons - the eating part might just be opportunistic predation as a result of that.

But, to summarize, your best course of action would be to confirm what kind of skink they are - maybe a Google search with your location + skink - and then work from there, because you will have much more definite information. And while eating anoles may not be bad, per se, it definitely isn’t safe to have them jumping in the tank and fighting and you should do what you can to avoid it.

I hope this helps!

07/21/15  11:05pm

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area