Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Skinks Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Birdman13   Reptile Observer   KrazyKelli   Reptile Observer   Takahiro111   Reptile Observer  

Member  Message

Birdman13
View Profile

I injured a five banded skink

I was at work and was weed eating an area against a building after I had mown. I missed it with the mower (thank God) but the weed eater line whacked its head and ripped a little skin (I was able to realign it as best as I could) and its eye is ruptured (as in gone). I immediately stopped weed eating, picked it up and my reaction was "dummy!" Man I felt so bad afterwards. I washed it off, reassured it that I wasn’t going to harm it (Irony, I know, I know) and I sat it in the seat of the Gator. I go back to finish up and come back and the little stinker’s on the ground trying to warm up LOL. Anyway I brought it home, gave it a little shelter, and I have a new pet. Any ideas/suggestions for treating the damaged eye?

09/03/14  09:39pm

Reptile Observer
View Profile

Message To: Birdman13   In reference to Message Id: 2309403

Just don’t get it infected and I’m pretty sure its fined lined skink ok?? If you need anything else just tell me and I’ll probably know the answer if not I’ll get you some help

09/04/14  07:12am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Stress of being taken from the wild may do more harm than good, but if you’re set on helping the guy out keep these things in mind:

Try to keep dirt out of the wound. Papertowel is the easiest substrate for that. Saline solution will also help keep the wound clean. Lizards are Remarkable healers, so if you just keep the wound looking good it should heal up on its own. You can optionally use betadine, but I’ve never used it on lizards smaller than 6 inches and think it’d cause too much stress in the moment. You also shouldn’t put betadine anywhere near the face.

Skinks have to have hiding places. Leaflitter is the best way to give it what it needs. If you somehow lack leaf litter, a slap of bark, few sticks and bush trimmings will work, too. Just stay away from soft wood, like pine or cedar, as that’s toxic to reptiles. Don’t hold back on messing up the cage. That’ll lower stress.

Also don’t be too dismayed if the skink up and dies. Lizards can and will pretend they’re fine up until death’s door like the champs they are.

I, too, have hit reptiles with the weed whacker, and completely understand your pain. The first garter snake I hit just about brought me to tears because I didn’t see it until it was too late.

09/04/14  10:25am

Reptile Observer
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2309429

Yes stress is true but I know everything about this type of lizard ALMOST

09/04/14  10:36am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Don’t beat your self up about it...its not like you meant to do it it was an accident. Just keep the would clean like krazykelli said

09/04/14  11:41pm

Reptile Observer
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2309456

Yey

09/05/14  07:24am

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area