Skinks Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

LeoLuvr   Cphill58   LizardLoverGirls  

Member  Message

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Ugh! Someone please listen!

I dont even know if anyone goes on her anymore but I have to rant to somebody. Hopefully somebody will respond and tell me something tonight because first thing in the morning I’m going to be calling the petstore and raising some serious hell.

Ugh. Okay.

So I’ve been looking into getting a Blue Tongue Skink for a long while. I recently moved to central texas and pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I have loved reptiles for many many years and of course after getting settled in I searched for the reptile stores nearby.
There were only two stores anywhere near me (min 40 min drive not including crazy traffic.) Not particularly impressed with either of the two, small cages, not so friendly staff, etc etc.

Long story short, I become serious about buying a Blue Tongue as Thanksgiving rolls around because of the drop of prices.
I call store ’A’ and they dont have any Blueys and dont get them in often.
I call store ’B’ next and they said that they had 3 adult Blue Tongues at $50 each.

So excited, I made the drive there on my next day off work which was December 1st.

They only had one BTS left, they pulled him out of the cage and he was very calm with the staff member, showed no signs of aggression and was very pretty. He had a slight ’dip’ in his back, some missing toes and a crook in his tail, but apart from that looked fine.
They reassured me that the dent in his back was because of how long their spine is and without proper UVA/UBS their bones can form differently, etc etc. I figured those were just cosmetic and it didnt matter to me.

They put him in a box and I ended up spending $150 there to get the proper bulb and substrate. And of course the animal.

I put him in his enclosure (55 gallon, shreaded aspen bedding, I used a potted plant holder as his water dish so its large enough for him to be in, correct lighting and all that) and later that night I offered him some food. He CHOWED down. I offered ground beef (he didn’t look particularly plump, and thought adding a slight amount of weight could do him good. What Im saying is that ground beef wouldn’t be the every-meal meat.) mushed bananas, green beans, grated carrots and a whole crushed raw egg including the shell. I mushed this all together in a bowl and he ate the entire bowl. I put him back in the tank and after a while I wanted to do a little bonding session.
He is the sweetest thing.
This guy would crawl a little bit around me and then fall asleep.
I had heard/read all of these horror stories about how they can be so aggressive and what not and was taken aback at how sweet this lizard was.
After a while of holding him, I notice on the top of his head a could little teeny-tiny dark colored bugs crawling across it.
i FREAKED out. I put him back in his enclosure and took a shower. I was so grossed out. Of all my reptiles I had never had to deal with mites or anything like that. After all that I called the store and the woman I talked to was so calm:
"Oh just bring him in and we’ll spray him down."
Uhm. Im a good 45 mins to an hour away. Can you just tell me what to do?
"They’re just wood mites. Go to a petstore and buy (I cant remember the name of the product). Oh and freeze his substrate. that’s all"
Okay so should I freak out right now? seeing as how he was crawling all over me and his tub is in my room?
" Oh no no theyre just on him because he’s cold blooded"
.......okay

I AM SO FRUSTRATED.

I worked all that day so I couldnt get the spray. That night I pick him up to check on him and he seemed fine. As he’s laying on my (white) shirt, I notice another few mites running across the lighter color on his sides. I look at my shirt and these little bugs are on me! Oh my god I literally filled my sink of bleach water and threw my shirt in there.

I look online all these mixtures and soaks on how to get rid of lizard mites. I put the lizard in a tub of warm water (about 85degrees Fahrenheit) and Providone Iodine solution. And I threw away all the substrate that was in his tank and filled it and his water dish with hot, bleach water. I let everything be for a little less than an hour. I rinsed out the tub and water bowl thoroughly before putting it back. Oh also, I put in replacement of the shaved aspen, shredded newspaper so he could still burrow and I could easily throw it out to clean it again.
After I rinsed him off from the solution, I read something about how some will swear that vegetable oil/warm water baths will rid of mites. So I did that.
He looked beautiful and shiny, and I couldnt see any mites on him.....so I put him back in his cage.

The next day (today, the 5th) I come home from work and go to my room at about 9pm.
It literally smelled like something had died. I could not breathe through my nose, I had to open my window and let it air out for a short while before I could go in withouth throwing up.

Eventually I went in and looked in all my cages to see what in the hell was up. I get to the BTS’s cage and in the water bowl is a chunk of meat. Just floating in there. I emptied that out and put fresh water in there, although that helped the smell, it was still STRONG.
I stifled through the newspaper shred looking for the lizard and I found him on the cold side. I pull him out and theres vomit all on his face, front arms, under his chin and a pile of vomit infront of him in the corner of the tank. The smell was horrid.
It was literally everything that I had fed him before, you could see the egg shell and chunks of chicken and meat. I filled my sink with warm water and put him in there to wash the poor guy off.
After cleaning out that whole corner of the tank, I start to wash him off.
It was so gross. I felt horrible.

So. Now I don’t know exactly what to do. I’m gonna call tomorrow and tell them what happened. And I guess all they can do is tell me to bring him back for store credit? I like the animal and would like to keep him. But I can’t financially deal with an animal that was already sick when I bought him.
Is my whole room crawling with these damn bugs? UGH. Did he get sick from the solution bath I gave him?

Can someone please help me xD I don’t know what to do.

12/06/13  12:48am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: LeoLuvr   In reference to Message Id: 2302541

Ugh! Someone please listen!

I responded to you in the iggy forum..
if you want you can text my cell ...(626) 222 6868

Hope we / I am not too late

12/11/13  02:08am

LizardLoverGirls
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2302630