Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Skinks Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Skinkcatcher   LenaLovesLizards   Skinkcatcher   Skinkcatcher   LenaLovesLizards   Skinkcatcher  

Member  Message

Skinkcatcher
View Profile

Careing for skink

Hey I caught a Five Lined Skink today and was wondering if any1 would please be so nice as to provide a picture as to what a tank enclosure should look like for this animal if I want to keep it or provide some feedback as to how to make the enclosure. Thank You. Appreciate it.

07/14/13  03:16pm

LenaLovesLizards
View Profile

Message To: Skinkcatcher   In reference to Message Id: 2299547

Careing for skink

Do you know of you have a male or a female? I caught a female last year ad have been unsuccessful in getting a male. If you decide you want to rehome it I would love to have (hopefully a him) but i will take it either way.

To answer your question: they like dirt because they love to burrow. And a basking spot. I have some bark and branches in my enclosure so she can climb and bask. They really like t hide. They are nicely tempered but will never be a lap lizard like a water dragon. Be careful handling as they are very skittish and will drop their tails. It took me a long time to even get mine used enough to me to pet. And she will only tolerate it for a few minutes. Humidity is important (usually 70% from what I have been able to find online). There isn’t a ton of info but there is some on wikipedia. They require calcium and uvb. I dust 3 times a week. A good water source though I’ve never seen mine get in her dish.

If you have any other questions let me know and I’ll try to answer them :) Also please please let me know if you decide not to keep it!!!

07/17/13  12:41pm

Skinkcatcher
View Profile

Message To: LenaLovesLizards   In reference to Message Id: 2299610

Careing for skink

I’m sorry but I can not sell or donate this pet because to me this is a hobby, doing this is like throwing a special friendship item I recieved from a relitive. I’m sorry if this isn’t what you wanted to here.

07/17/13  04:38pm

Skinkcatcher
View Profile

Message To: LenaLovesLizards   In reference to Message Id: 2299610

Careing for skink

Is it a good idea to use a heat lamp or just go with the rectangle UVB strip light?

07/17/13  07:38pm

LenaLovesLizards
View Profile

Message To: Skinkcatcher   In reference to Message Id: 2299621

Careing for skink

No problem, you just had mentioned not being sure if you wanted to keep it or not.

It depends on what your temps are. I find mine gets too warm with a heatlight so I just use the strip light.

07/18/13  12:13am

Skinkcatcher
View Profile

Message To: LenaLovesLizards   In reference to Message Id: 2299630

Careing for skink

Hmm, good observation. I should mention the indoor temperatures are from upper 70s-lower 90s. So I could start off with a strip light and as soon as it gets cold, I will buy the heat lamp.

07/18/13  03:20pm

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area