Skinks Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Shagrath21   Shagrath21  

Member  Message

Shagrath21
View Profile

New Skink Owner

Hello everyone! I recently adopted a Golden Skink. I have a few questions about care and the enclosure to double check that I’m doing everything fine for him.

For now, I have my Skink in a 10 Gallon aquarium with about 1 1/2 inches of subtrate for him/her to burrow in. I have a hidding holowed out log as well as a basking log with some plastic plants with small flowers around it (Lots of room for him/her to lay on and bask in the heat). I also have a small water dish and for now, I’ve been feeding him/her crickets.

I plan on getting another plant in the tank for my Skink as well as a small, shallow dish to start feeding him a mixture of grated carrots, some leafs (Would Roman/Green Leaf lettace work?), and meal worms.

I’m also at a loss as to what type of heating source to use. I want something that’ll heat half the tank, so he has a side to bask in the heat and another side to cool down and hide. I’m not sure if a heating lamp or if a small heating pad would work best for him/her. What would you guys suggest I do?

And I’ve also heard that your supposed to keep a certian level of humidity in the tank. Some sites I’ve looked at say little to none while other’s say 80%. I’ve been lightly misting the tank down to be on the safe side, as he/she is currently in the process of shedding. And do I need to provide a small container with moisture like the Leopard Gecko’s for when they shed (I have owned Leopard Gecko’s in the past and very much enjoyed them, but I wanted to try something new this time around)?

Thank you for all your help and input on the matter :)

01/05/13  04:46pm

Shagrath21
View Profile

Message To: Shagrath21   In reference to Message Id: 2288947

New Skink Owner

Oh, and I’m curiouse to see if anyone can help me tell the gender of my Skink. I think I possibly have a female Skink, as he/she has little to no colour along it’s side (From what I understand, the Males have bright orange stripes down them).

01/07/13  07:50pm

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area