Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Skinks Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Esparza88   Anotherman   Esparza88   Anotherman   Esparza88   Anotherman   Esparza88   Anotherman  

Member  Message

Esparza88
View Profile

Need some help

Watz up, my name is Robert. A couple weeks ago, my friend gave me a 10 gallon tank. I post a question on yahoo, and asked what can I put in it. They said roaches, scorpions, rats, fish, lizards, snakes, milli and centipedes. I already got an aquarium full of fish, so I started lookin at some lizards. Then I ran across the Fire Skink and the (Yellow Throated) Plated Lizard. Then and there I decided that’s what I wanted to go with. So I started doin some research on them, when a certain question hit me between the eyes. Can these lizards get along, so I started askin around, some people said yes, and some said no. So I found this site, and saw that alot of people on here sound like they actually know what they’re talkin about. So my questions are can they get along, if not can I get two Fire Skinks w/o them breeding? And depending on that answer what do I need to buy for them? Thanks for the imput.

P.S. Either way I’m gonna get a 20 gallon just in case.

09/26/12  04:02pm

Anotherman
View Profile

Message To: Esparza88   In reference to Message Id: 2281467

Need some help

NO!
The fire skink would need a 20 gallon by itself, and the plated would need atleast a 40 gallon. Do not rely on Yahoo Answers that is a bad site. Do not house them together either.

09/27/12  07:18pm

Esparza88
View Profile

Message To: Anotherman   In reference to Message Id: 2281536

Need some help

I was expecting to hear that the Plated Lizard couldn’t fit in a 20 gallon, it seemed to good to be true lol. But with the Fire Skink, your saying that a 20 gallon aquarium couldn’t house more than one Skink? I heard that it was enough for a male and at least one female?

09/28/12  05:31pm

Anotherman
View Profile

Message To: Esparza88   In reference to Message Id: 2281603

Need some help

I would give a 40 gallon for two. So if the female doesn’t want to breed she can run away.

09/30/12  07:31pm

Esparza88
View Profile

Message To: Anotherman   In reference to Message Id: 2281752

Need some help

I have suddenly been donated a 75 gallon aquarium, will this affect any of the answers to this question?

10/06/12  02:44pm

Anotherman
View Profile

Message To: Esparza88   In reference to Message Id: 2282286

Need some help

Nope

10/14/12  08:43pm

Esparza88
View Profile

Message To: Anotherman   In reference to Message Id: 2282857

Are.you sure?

Are you sure, I’ve been asking around, and one guy who had his pet shop for over 20 years said differently. He said you could put more than one species together, just as long as they’re out of each others way. So he suggested a male and female fire skink, a few long-tailed lizards, and a few tree frogs. But it’s hard to decide to believe, how much experience do you have with different lizards?

10/15/12  01:30pm

Anotherman
View Profile

Message To: Esparza88   In reference to Message Id: 2282881

Are.you sure?

I have too much experience to write on a website HAHAHA
But it doesn’t even matter how much experience you have. Lets say I have 300 years experience taking care of animals hundreds of animals. But I take care of them horribly. That means I have alot of experience, but that doesn’t mean i know better or did better.
Also, fire skinks live in a tropical environment, longtailed lizards live in a temperate environment, and tree frogs live in an arboreal environment. They all have different needs. You cannot keep them together healthily...

10/15/12  10:08pm

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area