Skinks Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tgb   Danilynnova   Danilynnova  

Member  Message

Tgb
View Profile

Schneider skink weight loss

My son has had a schneider skink for 10 tens years and he has been very healthy. I noticed today that he has loss a lot of weight. As he is in the sand a lot, we are not sure how long he has been losing weight. We have not changed anything we do for him. He will only eat crickets. I’ve tried other things in the past, but he refuses. I haven’t vitaman dusted his crickets in years because he won’t eat many of them then. What could have caused him such weight loss? We don’t have an exotic vet close by and the nearest one will be well over $100.

07/10/12  10:34am

Danilynnova
View Profile

Message To: Tgb   In reference to Message Id: 2272763

If you’ve had it that long I assume you have UVB lighting....maybe old age? Try repashy vitamins they taste and smell really good. Should eat some veggies too...lack of veggies and vitamins might cause vitamin a deficiency. Do his eyes look okay? Maybe calcium deficiency too. Repashy also makes rescue-cal and has a vitamin a supplement. Or maybe he got some bad bugs and has a parasite. Panacur is a great de-wormer. You can buy it online and find dosages. If I couldn’t get to a vet I would do the panacur. Keep hydrated by giving some water with a syringe. Also would do the rescue-cal and vitamin A since he hasn’t been getting it, just don’t over-do it. Hope he gets better! I have two and love them!

07/28/12  12:21pm

Danilynnova
View Profile

Message To: Tgb   In reference to Message Id: 2272763

Forgot there’s also force feeding and appetite stimulants you could try. Appetite plus and jump start are a couple I know of. As for force feeding maybe try mixing beef baby food and a little squash baby food mixed with water and force feed using a syringe. Maybe even add the panacur, rescue-cal and vitamin a to the mix. That way you’re not stressing him by forcing all that into him separately. It’s worth a try!

07/28/12  12:44pm

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area