Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Skinks Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Olesen   Anotherman   SkinksGalore   Danilynnova   Danilynnova   Knave   AlmostHeavenHerps  

Member  Message

Olesen
View Profile

Tree skinks

So a couple of days ago I went to the local pet-store and noticed that there were "green tree skinks" in a very little terrarium - The pet store keeper gave me a bargain, and I went home with all 4 skinks.

I have never kept skinks before, but have experience with other types of reptiles and exotic insects etc.

Unfortunately I can’t find much literature on these little fellas’, so I was wondering if any of you guys know what they are and how to take care of them.

The closest I have gotten to a specie is Dasia olivacea/olivaceus, that they should be arboreal, and eat insects, other than that temp, wise I should keep them at 22-27C / 71,6 - 80,6F, and humidity around 40-80 %.

I’m hoping that some of you know the specie, and can help with more accurate temp. and humidity numbers - Right now, I am trying to adjust to something in the middle of the temp and humidity.

I have not seen them eat yet, I have been feeding them crickets, and placed a small dish with leafy greens in the bottom, the green stuff actually gets eaten, but I don’t know if it is by the crickets or the skinks.

Here is some pics (sorry about the quality):

I have noticed that the green color gets very green when they have basked under the UV-light - perhaps I need to put more of that on top of the terrarium(?)

Any help is appreciated
Cassandra :)

10/09/11  07:57am

Anotherman
View Profile

Message To: Olesen   In reference to Message Id: 2239740

Tree skinks

What is that beetle-like creature I see on the screen?

12/19/11  07:47pm

SkinksGalore
View Profile

Tree skinks

Those dont look like green tree skinks to me, I have a pair right now and they never have that greyish color on their back. They look more like desia tree skinks, but their care is the same as green tree skinks. So I keep mine in an all screen enclosure 18X18X36. I have a 10.0 exo-terra uvb light and a 75 watt daytime basking light, I have a couple of sticks, all thicker then their bodies, some cork bark slabs, organic soil as bedding and a water dish deep enough for them to submerge themselves into and swim a bit. I spray them thouroughly 5-6 times a week and feed them 3-4 times a week. They will eat crickets, roaches, waxworms, mealworms, isopods, bean beetles and probably any insect they can fit in their mouth. They will also sometimes eat plum or mango or other soft, tropical fruits. Thats pretty much it, they are very hardy and wonderful little pets.

08/04/12  06:16pm

Danilynnova
View Profile

Tree skinks

You are in luck, I have had great success with mine. I would be concerned if you haven’t seen them eat. They are almost all wild caught and may need a de-wormer. Panacur works great. I keep mine with a basking site about 84-85f using a uva/heat bulb and also have a 5.0 UVB light on them, which is pertinent for calcium metabolism. The cool end is somewhere in the 70’s...thermal gradients are important so they can choose what is most comfortable. Keep the substrate damp. I use Eco-earth or bed-a-beast and also some moss to help keep the humidity high. they eat crickets every other day and I dust them a couple times a week with repashy calcium plus. They also love fruit baby foods or finely chopped sweet fruits like mangos, papaya and melons. Mine attack the crickets right away, so yours should too! The cage should be a minimum of 40 gallons since you have 4. Mine laid eggs and though nobody knows anything on hatchling care, I have successfully kept 7 out of 8 that hatched alive and eating, and have 6 more eggs! Don’t know if they eat greens, I haven’t heard that they do so ever tried. I would guess 60-70 percent humidity and use a digital thermometer and hygrometer to get accurate readings. I wish there was more info on them, they are such great little lizards! One of mine is very friendly and the other just a little sketchy. Good luck with yours! Maybe you’ll get eggs too having 4! If so let me know if you want to hatch them I can explain how I did it since it seems no one else can!

08/11/12  02:33pm

Danilynnova
View Profile

Message To: SkinksGalore   In reference to Message Id: 2275636

Tree skinks

They are olive green sided skinks. Dasia olivacea. Different than a green tree skink.

08/11/12  02:36pm

Knave
View Profile

Tree skinks

they love the light but avoid too much heat since they wanna overexpose themselves. feed it some baby food, mashed bananas, crickets, spiders and superworms.

they look overwight to me.

also it seems that they prefer drinking water that is misted along the sides than straight in a water dish

02/11/13  08:05pm

AlmostHeavenHerps
View Profile

Message To: Danilynnova   In reference to Message Id: 2276472

Tree skinks

Hi there, I’m getting some of the Dasia (Lamprolepis) smaragdina, or green-sided tree skinks from malaysia and surrounding areas, and I plan on breeding them. Can you please explain how you got your eggs to hatch, what temps and humidity you used, and how long it took? Thanks!

05/07/13  04:24pm

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area