Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Skinks Forum

Hickchick   SkinksGalore  
 Member  Message

Hickchick
View Profile

New fire skinks

I recently aquired two fire skinks. They are in pretty bad shape.Missing toes, overgrown toe nails, shedding scales horribly. They lived on a diet of only mice, and were kept with 3 others.On some kinda sand in what looked to be 10g exoterra, maybe 15 g. They had no lights and no water dish, and im sure didnt get any vitamains. I have them in a 20g long, with a heat mat and a Uv light, the are on rept carpet, and have a big hide, and a water/food dish...What more can i do for them?

03/22/11  05:18pm

SkinksGalore
View Profile

Message To: Hickchick   In reference to Message Id: 2210997

New fire skinks

Fire skinks should not be kept on repticarpet, they are burrowing skinks and need coco fiber or bark chips about an inch deep so they can feel safe. Although i have mine in a bedding called fir and spaghnum peat moss mix by Zilla and I have it about 2 1/2 inches deep because they love being deeply burrowed. They also like a water dish deep enough for them to submerge themselves into. I feed mine a mix of crickets, mealworms, waxworms, superworms, high quality canned dog food(I use merrick brand) lettuce, kale, squash and some berries. I always dust there food with sticky tounge farms VIT-ALL and they are very healthy breeding skinks. Good luck with them, they are beautiful lizards.

08/20/11  10:13pm

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area