Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Skinks Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

JoCee   Jared T   JoCee   Sinosauropterix   CatherineB   JoCee   JoCee   JackAsp   Wito  

Member  Message

JoCee
View Profile

HELP! I think my Garden Skink is PREGNANT!

I need help here! I’ve delt with pregnant mice, but I have no clue what to do for my skink! It has become fat, and I’ve had her in a fish tank with three other skinks, so should I separate the four lizards? Should she be kept warm, hot or cold? I’ve looked everywhere on the internet, and cannot find anything! Please help!
JoCee
PS. I will post some photos soon, I need to figure out what one breed is.

06/29/09  09:02pm

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: JoCee   In reference to Message Id: 2031236

Keep her normal temps the same. As far as separation, just separate the eggs from the tank if when they’re laid and incubate them. I’m not too sure about temps/humidity though for skinks. I’m just browsing through unanswered topics!

07/01/09  11:13pm

JoCee
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2032484

Thankyou!

07/02/09  01:16am

Sinosauropterix
View Profile

Message To: JoCee   In reference to Message Id: 2032534

Are you saying your skink is gravid or pregnant? Gravid means she is just holding the eggs inside her body until it is time to lay them. In which case you will need to give her an area with loose substrate to lay the eggs in. Some lizards in general (and some skink species I believe) do give live birth. If you know the species name, do some research into whether it is oviparous (egg-laying) or oviviparious (live-bearing for reptiles). She may need to be housed at a certain temperature and I would recommend you seperate her from the other skinks because added stress might cause her to lose the offspring.

07/02/09  04:02pm

CatherineB
View Profile

Message To: Sinosauropterix   In reference to Message Id: 2032874

Many species of skinks are live bearers. Some of them do a bit of parental care. I would keep the conditions the same as they are now. If they need high humidity, then the babies will definitely need high humidity. Have some very tiny crickets on hand before you have babies to feed. The female if she is a live bearer will stop eating a few days before she gives birth. If she lays eggs you will need to incubate them so providing her with an egg laying area is a good idea.

If you can’t find out whether your skink is a live bearer or egg layer, you might just have to find out by watching. If you come home and find a tank full of babies, then you have a live bearer. Skinks are so mysterious. Good luck.

07/06/09  04:26pm

JoCee
View Profile

Message To: CatherineB   In reference to Message Id: 2035031

Thankyou, I think she was just FAT!

07/25/09  04:14am

JoCee
View Profile

Message To: CatherineB   In reference to Message Id: 2035031

Thankyou, I think she was just FAT!

07/25/09  04:14am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: JoCee   In reference to Message Id: 2044939

If she’s a live-bearer, I’d recommend seperation. The more adults you have in there the more likely the babies are to get eaten. With eggs, you can just wait until one day she’s really skinny and hungry and that’ll be your signal to start digging (carefully) for eggs. Meanwhile, start researching egg handling/ hatching conditions.

08/13/09  01:27pm

Wito
View Profile

Message To: JoCee   In reference to Message Id: 2031236

Help!! i think my skink is preggers

i think my skink is preggers because her tummy got bigger and she keeps on burrowing in the sand

11/17/12  01:10pm

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area