Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Skinks Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Janmccri   Janmccri   JackAsp   Janmccri   Lovetheleo   CatherineB   DGN Reptiles   Red Ink AUS   Rexxaroo   Janmccri   Rexxaroo   Janmccri   CatherineB   Snyds911   Cphill58   DGN Reptiles   Philly3546   Janmccri   Philly3546   Cphill58   CatherineB   DGN Reptiles   Janmccri   DGN Reptiles   Miss.Froggie   Janmccri   DGN Reptiles   Miss.Froggie   CatherineB   Tnugyhein  
Pages 1 2 Next

Member  Message

Janmccri
View Profile

LET’S LIVEN UP THIS FORUM

I am looking for suggestions on how to liven up this forum. We all know how awesome skinks are, but when I look at posts, there is very little action on this site. Days can go by and nothing new. does anyone have any ideas on how to get this forum moving? I am sure there are a lot of you who have a lot to say about BTS or other skinks. We could tell about why we chose our particular skink or start a story thread or something.....ANY IDEAS???????
Janice

06/21/09  06:58pm

Janmccri
View Profile

Message To: Janmccri   In reference to Message Id: 2026621

bump

06/21/09  10:28pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Janmccri   In reference to Message Id: 2026749

I didn’t choose mine; she chose me. I’d never seen sheen skinks before; at first I thought they were alligator lizards. The body shape is the same, the markings are similar, only the snout is significantly different. Well, and they’re bigger.
I was talking to the shop owner, reached into see their reaction, and Minerva ran up my arm and sat on my shoulder for the duration of the conversation. Since I had a 75-gallon sitting empty anyway, I wound up taking her.
How was I supposed to know she’d hate the big tall tank and want something lower? Oh well. Wound up keeping her in one of those big shallow 44X19 tubs for a years, and just recently upgraded her to a 4X2 front-opening Proline. I want to post pictures, but she’s so busy exploring around underground like the "Children of the Corn" monster that I haven’t even actually SEEN her in it; all I know is food dissapears from one dish and poop appears in another. She’ll settle back down eventually, I’m sure.

06/22/09  12:34am

Janmccri
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2026815

About ten years ago, I promsed my son, then 9, that if he stopped waking me up at night and slept entirely in his own room, he could get a pet. He really wanted a turtle and that is what we set out to buy. My older dfaughter went with and couldn’t be outdone by her younger brother. she fell in love with this Blue Tongue skink that was around four years old at a pet store and the keeper hadn’t sold him because he was missing part of his tail. The keeper, Chris, wanted to make sure the BTS went to a good home. Well, I was a bit reluctant sincve it really looked like a snake. However, my daughter paid $85 (half price) out of her babysitting money because she just had to have him. Now I got stuck with around $200 buying the set up. But both my kids were happy because they both had a pet. I made myself take out the BTS every day to get used to him and overcome any anxiety about its snake like appearance. Well, our BTS has been our pride and joy and is very lovede. It’s been almost ten years and he is healthy, happy and very affecdtionate. Blue is also very attachd to Bonita the box turtle since they were gotton at th same time. They have separate tanks, but spend bath time and summer time in the outside enclosure together. They usually sleep right next to each other outside like the best of friends. I am so happy my daughter wanted Blue!

06/22/09  03:44pm

Lovetheleo
View Profile

Message To: Janmccri   In reference to Message Id: 2027089

well i first really saw one on a goldfish froum

as one of the ladies avatars was of her bts with his mouth open and his big blue tongue flattened out

someone had asked her about him and she told us and i wanted one ever since

i did my research and went to the reptile show and picked out an adult he was supposedly 3 yrs old at the time (which would make him around 4 now)

his name is azul(spanish for blue) he is a sweetie but dont go messing around in his cage b/c he will attack you!!!!!

i am not sure why but if he is on the other side of his enclosure and you put your hand in the cage to put food in ther change a bulb etc he comes running over and trys to bite you

i think maybe he thinks it is food or something? lol anyway he is a perfect angel outside the cage

06/23/09  01:49pm

CatherineB
View Profile

Message To: Lovetheleo   In reference to Message Id: 2027565

I missed a bus 9 1/2 years ago and waited in a pet store since it was really cold. The guy said do you like lizards and put a Golden Skink in my hands. It was love at first sight. I had to have that lizard and I bought him on the spot. I had to put him right inside my clothes to keep him warm on the way home. That started a long happy relationship that invloved finding him a mate and raising a baby. He died last summer and I miss him, but I now have six different kinds of skinks in a number of terrariums. I look at other lizards and then I buy another skink. I have never lost that feeling of wonder every time I look at a skink. I predict that I will have seven kinds of skinks before the summer is over

You can never have too many skinks!

I just did a recount, I already have 7 kinds of skink, one of my new golden skinks turned out to be not a golden.

I really loved that lizard and I now have 4 new goldens, two breeding pairs. I can hope for babies this year. There is nothing cuter than a baby skink.
If you look closely, there are four baby ocellated skinks in this picture(I only saw one when I took the picture)

Here is a baby with the parents

I was so excited when I found a skink forum. I am not the only one who likes skinks!

06/25/09  05:16pm

DGN Reptiles
View Profile

Message To: CatherineB   In reference to Message Id: 2028778

I agree, this forum has been dead long enough. I cant remember when I started liking skinks, but about two years ago I got two baby blue tongues. Long story short, one day they ended up ingesting lightning bugs and quickly died. I was shocked, and of course crushed. However last year at the Columbia expo, there were proven breeder skinks for sale. I ended up getting a male and female, and bred them this year. They had fourteen babies last month, and well, here I am. I hate to admit it, but they’re my favorite reptiles. I dont know if it is their personality, interesting behavior, or that huge dark blue tongue, but I just love them.

06/26/09  07:14pm

Red Ink AUS
View Profile

Message To: DGN Reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2029473

G’day mates,

Just thought I’d add these pics to liven up the forum (but alas in vain i think lol). I have’nt got much to report as tis the season for the reptile big sleep here. Fortunately my shingleback woke up a couple of weeks ago in her new enclosure so i got a few quick snaps.

Cheers

06/28/09  08:40pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Red Ink AUS   In reference to Message Id: 2030597

i have a male five lined :D i hope to get more skinks but, for now im happy with my Water Dragon and then of course Dexter!! Well, here’s Dexter!!!

Rexx

06/28/09  10:07pm

Janmccri
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2030645

This is great to hear from everybody!!!! The pics are super. Now, what is your favorite thing about your skink? For example, I love how Blue snuggles on my shoulder under my hair.
Janice

06/28/09  10:42pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Janmccri   In reference to Message Id: 2030677

i like how dexter crawls around and explores tasting everything. I have a question too. This morning he ate a part of a grape :D lol are they suppose to eat fruits and veggies? i thought they were insectivorous though so idk lol. That adorable that your skink snuggles with you :D

Rexx

06/29/09  09:48am

Janmccri
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2030864

I am not sure about yours, but BTS are omnivores or maybe opportunists would be more fitting. They eat salads, meat and a little fruit. I usually mix it all together. When he was young he ate insects, but as he is over ten he is too lazy.
Janice

06/29/09  12:54pm

CatherineB
View Profile

Message To: Janmccri   In reference to Message Id: 2030962

The baby Blue Tongues are so cute. I find myself wanting one(or two).
What do I like about skinks? They are so gracefull in their movements. The Golden skinks flow from one spot to another. Their is something mysterious about skinks in general and they have such pretty colours/markings. And there are so many different kinds. I just got a sun skink that is full grown at 4 inches. He is so amazing. I love watching him explore his new terrarium. I never get tired of watching my skinks.

07/01/09  10:02pm

Snyds911
View Profile

I had always wanted a blue tongue. My neighbors had one, and it was adopted and it had a foot infection, so it passed. :( But I so badly wanted one, I didn’t care what it took. Too bad it took $475. I got a juvenile Northern BTS. She (I think), was hissing. A lot. And biting. She was a pure captive bred-$125. I was happy, and when she took down that first worm I shouted YES! Then, I bought her a 4’X2’ enclosure. Wooden. Really nice, it kept warmth, humidity, and smells all inside with it’s glass doors. And yes, it was $350. It is super nice though. I still haven’t thought of a name for her, for some reason, "Buddy" seems to be her nickname. Her favorite food is pinky mice. And I love it when she burrows in my hair.

07/01/09  10:39pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Snyds911   In reference to Message Id: 2032462

Hey you guys.... Thanks to Danny and Edel, I am now the owner of a BTS ...if you saw my post in Bearded Dragons Community , then you know of Baskin and Robbins ..our Ice Cream twins....lol

So here I am in Utah dialing in the lights and UVB and heat .... what I need to know is the night time lows.... what are you keeping those temps at ? And what is reasonable...for example my lights are all off ...no UTH ...and the lows are 78-81...One tank is a bit warmer due to the heat rising up and the stacked rack unit.

Thanks again Danny ...the skinks are doing great, eating well including roaches and veggies and worms, strawberries, papaya and the good ol cat food....today I fed some chicken giblets too. Just some parts that I didn’t’ want to waste, they liked it. Can’t wait till they are big enough to eat pinkie mice ......num num.

Cp

07/03/09  10:32pm

DGN Reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2033627

Cool, how big are they right now? JoAnne’s and my orange baby took their first pinkies this week. I think it was what they had been waiting for... the pinkie barely hit the ground lol... I didnt even think they were paying attention, but they both snapped them up. I guess blueys are firm believers in the ten second rule.

07/03/09  10:58pm

Philly3546
View Profile

Message To: DGN Reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2033640

just like to say i now have a bts they r so cool

07/04/09  12:30pm

Janmccri
View Profile

Message To: Philly3546   In reference to Message Id: 2033807

Hey, sorry I haven’t been on sooner but was real busy with the holidays. Not everyone will agree with me, but a few skink breeders told me a long time ago that BTSs need belly heat to digest their food. Now I have had Blue for 12 years with no health problems. I keep an undertank heater on 24/7. For an adult, the temps can drop to 65 degrees at night with no problem. blue is in a 55 gallon tank, so if the UTH feels too warm to him, he can move to the rest of the tank where it is cooler. In winter, I put a red light on to maintain temps because in IL it can be cold and our house is usually 65 at night. I would try and keep the temps at 70- at night for babies. during summer it should mean you don’t need any additional heat light if you don’t blast your house with AC. when we do use our AC, we keep it set at 80 which is less expensive, but still gets out the humidity(we boost it with ceiling fans). If you are afraid that an UTH is too hot for a baby, you can put additional newspaper under reptilecarpet. Don’t put the UTH inside the tank where your baby can get burned. always fasten it under the tank. If you live in an area where it is unusually hot, I wouldn’t suggest using one as it may be too warm. I hope this makes sense.
Janice

07/05/09  08:47pm

Philly3546
View Profile

Message To: Janmccri   In reference to Message Id: 2034568

anyone no what is the best worms to feed to ur blu tongue skink mealworms waxworms .i cant get silk worms

07/06/09  05:49am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Janmccri   In reference to Message Id: 2034568

Thanks Janice ,,,, I have ambiet night temps above 78F , we are in Utah and the temps are quite warm ... I also set the air at 85 ...I like warm and less costs ....and all the other reps like the heat too.

I have UTH’s in a box shipping from Calif. If I need them I will put them into service, maybe more so this winter.

The overhead lamp heats the tile to 89-90F during the day and the rock formation for basking is about 101-102 I will re check with my temp gun. I am constantly monitoring the set up ..I like to check daily and often to apease my OCD .....lol

As for worms I have had success with super worms and silks and butters......roaches are excellent too!

Cp

07/06/09  09:53am

CatherineB
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2034782

Why do I feel like a BTS is inevitable. The reptile breeder near me sometimes has them. How big a tank would I need for one or two. As always before I get yet another reptile, I have to figure out where to put it.

07/06/09  04:19pm

DGN Reptiles
View Profile

Message To: CatherineB   In reference to Message Id: 2035024

For a single adult, you would need a 40 gallon breeder or larger. You shouldnt house them together, they can be very territorial and can cause serious damage to each other.

07/06/09  05:38pm

Janmccri
View Profile

Message To: DGN Reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2035062

Eventually, the adult BTS will most likely outgrow a 40 breeders. They need lots of floor space to burrow. I have mine in a 50 gal and I wish it was wider. But he has the whole length of the bathtub a couple times a week and from May/June until Sep/Oct he has the outside cage all day which is very big.
Janice

07/07/09  02:20am

DGN Reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Janmccri   In reference to Message Id: 2035358

I wish I could let my skinks outside, I have two raised beds that I dug out. They are 4’ by 12’ and the skinks love to explore in them, but I have WAY too many lightning bugs out there for comfort. Have you ever had any problems with that?

07/07/09  07:06pm

Miss.Froggie
View Profile

Hershal was and still is my very first skink. Two christmas ago I got him as a gift from my parents. They found him at our local pet store. Hershal was about three years old then, or as the pet store people said. He was kept in a very small tank with little room.. Worst part was that he had old shed on his little toes. Mom got him for me, and he’s now a plump little bluey and living it great! :]
Here’s my baby, Hershal;

Yummy.... dog food!

Don’t I love this guy.

07/07/09  09:24pm

Janmccri
View Profile

Message To: Miss.Froggie   In reference to Message Id: 2035835

The outdoor cage has the outside covered with mesh/wire screening that is too small for any lightening bug, wasp or Asian beetle to get through. I am very careful when I open it up and they aren’t out after dark, mostly because it hasn’t been warm enough yet this summer to keep them out that late. I will try and post some pics the next few days. Tomorrow I have to babysit my girlfriend’s kids all day because she is havig surgery. Then I go to work at 4:30 PM. so itt may be Thursday before i get to it.
Janice

07/08/09  12:25am

DGN Reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Miss.Froggie   In reference to Message Id: 2035835

Cool, thanks. Miss Froggie, I think I remember when you got Hershal, my old name was geckoguy777. Glad to see hes doing well.

07/08/09  02:03am

Miss.Froggie
View Profile

Message To: DGN Reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2035956

Quote:

Cool, thanks. Miss Froggie, I think I remember when you got Hershal, my old name was geckoguy777. Glad to see hes doing well.

:]

07/08/09  08:49am

CatherineB
View Profile

Message To: Miss.Froggie   In reference to Message Id: 2036013

Hershal is pretty amazing. You must have a lot of fun with him.

09/09/09  11:41pm

Tnugyhein
View Profile

Message To: CatherineB   In reference to Message Id: 2028778

For a long time ago, I have been taking care of golden skink in my country, Vietnam, but now I am living in America; I don’t know where I can buy golden skinks. If you or anyone know where for sale it please help me out. Thanks!

01/16/12  02:56pm

Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Skinks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area