Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Site Suggestions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Site Suggestions Forum

Ribbon man   Your_only_nightmare   Ribbon man   Crazyanole5   Reptic_Haven_Reborn!   Crazyanole5   Reptic_Haven_Reborn!   Scaly-Man   Webmaster   Webmaster   Reptic_Haven_Reborn!   Geickojr.   Reptilic   OzZy_101*  
 Member  Message

Ribbon man
View Profile

AVATERS AND MEMBER RANKINGS

So what do you think doug???

07/15/06  09:52pm

Your_only_nightmare
View Profile

Message To: Ribbon man   In reference to Message Id: 886353

would that be ranking on thye amount of posts people post?

07/21/06  07:55am

Ribbon man
View Profile

Message To: Your_only_nightmare   In reference to Message Id: 896659

Ya.

07/21/06  02:58pm

Crazyanole5
View Profile

Message To: Ribbon man   In reference to Message Id: 897152

yeah, i am wit you, this site could use some avatar, this could be also used as an esspresion, you kno to express your self

08/02/06  02:14pm

Reptic_Haven_Reborn!
View Profile

Message To: Crazyanole5   In reference to Message Id: 919002

No, IMO I think we shouldnít have avatars. I visit forums with them and if really just seems to clutter everything up, especially when they are big. I think it just looks trashy and junky.

And rankings, well that would be okay but some people might abuse them and spam post everywhere just to get up their posts and ranking to look like they are a vet.

08/02/06  05:56pm

Crazyanole5
View Profile

Message To: Reptic_Haven_Reborn!   In reference to Message Id: 919496

but the site admin can choose what size would be allowed for an avatar

08/03/06  01:06pm

Reptic_Haven_Reborn!
View Profile

Message To: Crazyanole5   In reference to Message Id: 920671

I know, but I think any kind/size of picture would clutter things up and look pretty messy.

08/03/06  02:57pm

Scaly-Man
View Profile

Message To: Reptic_Haven_Reborn!   In reference to Message Id: 920893

I guess the webmaster could make a list of avatars for people to choose from.

08/03/06  06:13pm

Webmaster
View Profile

Hello,

Reptic_Haven_Reborn! has pretty much summed it up. There are other reasons as well but they were some of the basic reasons. I can control the size dimension of the avatars, but not the file size. I also would have a hard time monitoring what is appropriate and what is not. Of course we will get those that will try to use it for advertising as well. I definitely donít need more work. I know you want me to keep providing new features and information. We have several things coming up soon. I could alternatively make a few avatars, but like mentioned above..all it will do is distract the page. Right now the threads are easy to read and avatars will slow down the page loads.

Member ranking...I have thought about this, but there really is no great way of doing this. If you go by posts, then we would end up with spamming just to boost rankings. I see it on other sites and I just think how much of that is not such a good idea. Another alternative suggested was for me to select or members select. Problem with that...someone will feel they deserve a high ranking as well. One thing I donít want to see around here are people feeling inferior or ever superior. I like to think of everyone as equal...we all started off without very little knowledge. Some people expanded their knowledge while others havenít. It would also be misleading as well. If someone in the leo forum was given a good ranking, then decided to try some different reptiles like a monitor...it will mislead members thinking that they may have more experience in monitors as well.

Thanks
Doug - Webmaster

08/04/06  04:38am

Webmaster
View Profile

Hello,

Reptic_Haven_Reborn! has pretty much summed it up. There are other reasons as well but they were some of the basic reasons. I can control the size dimension of the avatars, but not the file size. I also would have a hard time monitoring what is appropriate and what is not. Of course we will get those that will try to use it for advertising as well. I definitely donít need more work. I know you want me to keep providing new features and information. We have several things coming up soon. I could alternatively make a few avatars, but like mentioned above..all it will do is distract the page. Right now the threads are easy to read and avatars will slow down the page loads.

Member ranking...I have thought about this, but there really is no great way of doing this. If you go by posts, then we would end up with spamming just to boost rankings. I see it on other sites and I just think how much of that is not such a good idea. Another alternative suggested was for me to select or members select. Problem with that...someone will feel they deserve a high ranking as well. One thing I donít want to see around here are people feeling inferior or ever superior. I like to think of everyone as equal...we all started off without very little knowledge. Some people expanded their knowledge while others havenít. It would also be misleading as well. If someone in the leo forum was given a good ranking, then decided to try some different reptiles like a monitor...it will mislead members thinking that they may have more experience in monitors as well.

Thanks
Doug - Webmaster

08/04/06  04:39am

Reptic_Haven_Reborn!
View Profile

Message To: Webmaster   In reference to Message Id: 922297

Yeah, again, I really dislike the thought of avatars/sigs.

I love how easily you can see information and posts on RZ. Like Doug said, it would most likely distract the attention from the posts and it would really slow down loading time, especially for those who use dial-up. Again, regardless of the size, I think that it would just clutter things up, and in a way, this site would start turning into a run of the mill site, if you know what I mean. Itíd also make Doug pretty much personally look over each one and see if it is appropriate, which, in my opinion, is a waste of time.

I just like how plain and simple this is. On many sites, people have sigs and avatars and pictures of whatever everywhere, and you canít hardly find where the actual post is, it just all looks crazy.

And for rankings, as Doug already said, if it went by post, some people would just spam to get their ranking up. I also like how humble most of the people here on RZ are. I feel (as Doug stated), that if we had rankings, more and more people would start to think they are better than others and think they are top-class members and get a hot head and all. I also support Dougís fact that what if someone from the crested gecko forums, decides to get a snake, then starts posting in the corn forum. Then people might think he/she is knowledgeable in corn snakes.

Regardless what happens, these are just little things that wonít really improve this site. Iím sure Doug has many more important things to be doing. And if any of this would happen (which I hope not ), Iím sure it would be in the distant future.

08/04/06  05:49pm

Geickojr.
View Profile

Message To: Reptic_Haven_Reborn!   In reference to Message Id: 923307

welll what if you do the rankings by how long the person has been with the forum, but it says what forum they usually go on?

08/14/07  09:37am

Reptilic
View Profile

Message To: Geickojr.   In reference to Message Id: 1402822

avatars would be ok, if theyíre small

08/18/07  05:20pm

OzZy_101*
View Profile

Message To: Reptilic   In reference to Message Id: 1408685

Yeah, just a little avatar under our names

08/31/07  02:06pm

Back to Site Suggestions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area