Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Howasaur   Metz   Howasaur   Metz  
 Member  Message

Howasaur
View Profile

Will somebody PLEASE help!!

i posted a new topic the other day, and have got no response to it yet. after reading all the posts i still have some questions. it seems that everyone is talking about emperor babies, and redclaw babies...how much does the advice apply to a flat rock scorpion...is there anything specific i can do to make her more at ease? she refuses to eat crickets, and doesnt seem to show interest in mealworms, and i am unable to get my hands on any roaches, she seems to only eat pinky mice, and i know that will not fly for the babies. there are no babies yet, however she is HUGE, and comes out even less than usual, and will stay in the same place for days at a time instead of switching hides every now and then. i bought her almost a year ago from a store where she was being kept with a male. i have been keeping scorpions for a couple years now, but have never tried breeding, and definately did not plan this one, but would sure like to see it through. i could sure use some advice on this one, and every little bit helps, all the care sheets on the net are contradictory, and only explain so much. thanks

09/26/06  05:45pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Howasaur   In reference to Message Id: 998429

What kind of habitat do you have her in?
If she is gravid, she’ll want a good, dark, warm, dry hide and will want to be left alone. If she has not dropped babies within a year, odds are that she is fixing to pop. If that is the case, she will most likely *not* want to eat or be as moble as she was.
Scorpions can have very long gestation periods as it is, however, if they are stressed out, they will with hold giving birth. If she is in a brightly lit room, either remove her from it or cover her container and *only* intrude on her home when absolutely necessary.
Tell me how you have her set up right now (temps, humidity, substrate, type of hides, things like that) and we can go from there.

09/27/06  04:10am

Howasaur
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 999164

thanks metz...she is in a 20g glass tank with course sand as substrate a couple thin rock stacks, and a tunnel ornament for an aquarium. the temps are 80-85 daytime 70-75 night time temp with approx 40-50% humidity. she has a small shallow water dish and thats about it. tried a few worms last night(phoenix worms, butter worms, and mealies but no luck at all) i leave her alone for the most part and i have never attempted to handle or mess with her at all. her tank is in a darker part of the room and does not recieve direct sunlight with very minimal traffic or noise and the room temp is always pretty warm and a little humidity. she frequents her hides at will, and several times i have found her pressed up against the glass between a hide and the glass almost like she was trying to escape, and have seen her there sometimes for several days at a time. i have had her for a year now, and have read that their gestation can be up to 18 months. i know that she was in a tank with a male for a while at the store, but someone bought the male before i could grab them both. thanks for the help metz...its much appreciated

09/27/06  10:11pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Howasaur   In reference to Message Id: 1000318

Her home sounds great.
All I can really tell you is to just give her time and see what happens.

09/27/06  10:20pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area