Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Adz scorp   Meee   J man   ReptileMan27   Adz scorp   Adz scorp   Metz  
 Member  Message

Adz scorp
View Profile

Scorpion Substrate

Hi Iím new and a full member of another forum, but canít find any info I need for scorpion substrate in that forum so I came here for help. I was thinking of putting gravel for substrate (the scorpion is an emperor scorpion), and i have sofar got mixed answers, so is it ok to put gravel as substrate?
Adz

09/17/06  04:52am

Meee
View Profile

Message To: Adz scorp   In reference to Message Id: 986116

Scorpion Substrate

no, that is a horrid idea. it does not hold humidity and is impossible to dig in. about 6 inches of peat moss is the best substrate for a Forrest species. you want to get it damp first so it isnt dusty

09/17/06  02:11pm

J man
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 986501

Scorpion Substrate

theres a emp scorp form

09/17/06  07:23pm

ReptileMan27
View Profile

Message To: J man   In reference to Message Id: 986888

Scorpion Substrate

Can you give us the link please?. Gravel isnt a good idea for a substrate. Go with peat moss or jungle mix.

09/17/06  10:46pm

Adz scorp
View Profile

Message To: ReptileMan27   In reference to Message Id: 987184

Scorpion Substrate

I found a small packet of soil which is 50% peat in my shed which I never use so iím gonna put that for substrate the problem is, I donít think it will be enough, so has anyone any idea what to put in with maybe things I can find in my garden (cleaned with boiling hot water) or things from my shed oh and things in my houuse of course? NEED REPLIES!!
Adz

09/18/06  12:49pm

Adz scorp
View Profile

Message To: ReptileMan27   In reference to Message Id: 987184

Scorpion Substrate

I found a small packet of soil which is 50% peat in my shed which I never use so iím gonna put that for substrate the problem is, I donít think it will be enough, so has anyone any idea what to put in with maybe things I can find in my garden (cleaned with boiling hot water) or things from my shed oh and things in my houuse of course? NEED REPLIES!!
Adz

09/18/06  12:51pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Adz scorp   In reference to Message Id: 987614

Scorpion Substrate

Check the ingredients on that soil before you use it. You can not use *anything* that has fertilizers, insecticides or other chemicals in it, it will kill your scorpion. Also, you do *not* want to use the dirt in your yard either. Boiling will completely destroy the soil and will render it useless.
What youíll want to do is go to Wal-Mart or any garden center like Home Depo, Lowes, etc. (provided you live in the US) and get a bag of Sphagnum peat moss. Schultz brand has it and it is real good stuff.

Do *not* bake, boil or microwave substrate. While it *does* kill the bad bacteria in it, it also kills the *good* bacteria, thus causing mold.

P. imperator are rain forest burrowing scorpions so they need a substrate that can hold moisture and also be easy to burrow in...thus why we recommend peat moss. Youíll also want to make sure the scorpion has a couple hides.

09/18/06  07:34pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area