Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

PythonMan   Meee   PythonMan   Metz   Bugman Dave  
 Member  Message

PythonMan
View Profile

Emp bedding

right now my emperor is on 5 inches of chemical free potti soil coulod i switch the bedding and put coconut fiber in there so he can burrow

08/05/06  06:24pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 924859

Emp bedding

yes, that is a very smart move. dirt can become very hard when it drys and very muddy when wet. coconut can be kind of expensive and can mold. a better substrate is peat moss. it is almost the same thing and cheaper. it can be bought at garden stores.

08/05/06  07:40pm

PythonMan
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 924969

Emp bedding

i just changed his tank from dirt to t-rex’s jungle bed. he seems to be very happy now.

08/05/06  08:19pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 925025

Emp bedding

Well, Meee was right, peat moss is by far better, especially conserning that pet store substrate crap.
The *reason* that peat moss works better is because it holds up better in high heat and humidity conditions, which P. imperator require, without molding, collecting mildew and inviting gnats, mites and other little nasties.

08/05/06  09:24pm

Bugman Dave
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 924859

Emp bedding

Just remember where they come from and try to make its environment as close to natural as possible. They are semi-tropical, sub-forest floor burrowers so a moisture-retaining strata is preferrable (red wood chips mixed with sand & micro-fish gravel, wood chips of any kind mixed with a stable ground component) anything that will stay relatively uncompacted, yet retain moisture and not hinder your scorps hunting or burrowing ability.

08/12/06  09:12am

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area