Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

OzZy_101*   Meee   OzZy_101*   Meee   OzZy_101*   Meee   OzZy_101*   Meee   OzZy_101*   Meee   OzZy_101*   Meee   OzZy_101*   Meee   CobraVenom   Dmetz   CobraVenom   Dilbertrob   OzZy_101*   Dmetz   Dmetz   Dilbertrob   Dmetz   CobraVenom   Dmetz   Elektra   Dmetz   CobraVenom  
 Member  Message

OzZy_101*
View Profile

Iím planing on getting my first scorpion.

Its going to be an emperor, what are all the things i need. (i did research)

08/02/06  09:51pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: OzZy_101*   In reference to Message Id: 919864

you will need:

a 10 gallon
peat moss
a hide
the scorpion
a small uth (put it on the side though)
a shallow water dish
thermometer
hydrometer
suran wrap (to help keep humidity in)
a spray bottle

08/02/06  10:39pm

OzZy_101*
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 919949

they sound quite simple to take care of. what CAN they eat. other than their regular diet.

08/06/06  04:05pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: OzZy_101*   In reference to Message Id: 926206

baby roaches, tinny grass hoppers. basically whatever they can over power. by regular diet, you mean crix right?

08/07/06  02:59am

OzZy_101*
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 927149

crickets and grasshopers yeah.

08/09/06  01:05pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: OzZy_101*   In reference to Message Id: 931133

although, unless you live out in the middle of no where, bugs from out side may have harmful chemicals on them, so i would buy some at a pet store then breed them

08/09/06  04:42pm

OzZy_101*
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 931443

well we dont live in the middle of nowhere, i live in newfoundland Canada and all i have to do is go in the woods to catch some. i guess its easier to buy them though.

08/11/06  09:17am

Meee
View Profile

Message To: OzZy_101*   In reference to Message Id: 934357

yea. the only problem is, a grass hopper could travel for miles before the poison killed it so the ones you catch might have some on them and kill your scorpion.

08/11/06  05:50pm

OzZy_101*
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 935070

thankx for bringing that up !

08/12/06  11:55am

Meee
View Profile

Message To: OzZy_101*   In reference to Message Id: 936044

:D

08/12/06  06:50pm

OzZy_101*
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 936597

so, Meee.... what pets do you have >?

08/13/06  03:13pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: OzZy_101*   In reference to Message Id: 937809

a lot. very long list.

08/13/06  11:55pm

OzZy_101*
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 938570

well. what reptiles do you have ?

08/14/06  11:43am

Meee
View Profile

Message To: OzZy_101*   In reference to Message Id: 939107

also a very long list.

7.15.1 anolis carolinensis (yes, 15 girls)
3.6.9 anolis sagrei
2.3.0 anolis equistris
1.2.0 anolis cristatellus
3.5.0 anolis garmani
3.2.4 anolis cybotes
1.1.0 anolis cupreus
1.3.0 anolis chlorocyanus
1.1.0 varanus exanthematicus
1.0.0 varanus niloticus
3.4.1 python regius
0.1.0 morelia viridis
1.0.0 paleosuchus palpebrosus
and that is just the ones that i know the scientific name of without thinking about it.

08/15/06  01:48am

CobraVenom
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 940296

Instead of using all of the scientific names that most people on here donít understand would it not be easier to just tell them what you have? Does it make people feel better than others by using words that they cannot understand? lol Anyways basically she has some green, brown, Cuban, crested, Jamaican, large head, forest, and Hispaniola anoles. A ball python, green tree python, and a Caiman. Happy new years to everyone!!!!!

12/31/06  05:59pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: CobraVenom   In reference to Message Id: 1113846

Actually, it would be easier if more people took the time to learn the "proper" species names.
Common names are crap and they come a dime a dozen.
Does it make people feel better than others to use the proper species name? No, just less lazy.

12/31/06  09:05pm

CobraVenom
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1114108

lol Just figured that this person is getting their first scorpion and more than likely donít know a thing about species names. It just takes more time than needed to look up each species name to determine just what in the world is being talked about. Laziness has nothing to do with it. And yes opinions are opinions and there is no such thing as right or wrong. As for hijacking the post I apologize and Meee summed it all up with what you need in your cage. Many people are misinformed at the pet stores that emps are desert dwellers and in fact its just the opposite. http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/P-imperator.html That should help you out with any other questions you might have.

01/01/07  11:57pm

Dilbertrob
View Profile

Message To: CobraVenom   In reference to Message Id: 1115663

Quote:

Actually, it would be easier if more people took the time to learn the "proper" species names.
Common names are crap and they come a dime a dozen.
Does it make people feel better than others to use the proper species name? No, just less lazy.

Wouldnít it make more sense then to list the species name and then the common name after it? Like CobraVenom said, when you are talking to a newbie who is trying to learn, why not try to educate, without coming off as self important. I donít call my friends homosapiens and I donít call my dogs Canis familiaris. Iím glad that some people know all the correct species names, but just because I donít use the correct species name when refering to my scoprs, does not make me any less able to care for them or make me any less of a responsible pet owner. If you truly want to educate newbies, how about being a bit friendlier to the newbies while teaching them the correct way to do things. I donít post hear that often because the general vibe hear is not friendly. I would think you would want to encourage people to ask questions, not try to intimidate them and scare them off. Anyway, my 2 cents!!

Sorry if this was off topic, Iíll continue to read the posts in silence once more.

01/04/07  06:49pm

OzZy_101*
View Profile

Message To: Dilbertrob   In reference to Message Id: 1119506

Yeah i know most snakes scientific names but not spiders :S lol.

01/04/07  08:06pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: OzZy_101*   In reference to Message Id: 1119649

Quote:

Wouldnít it make more sense then to list the species name and then the common name after it? Like CobraVenom said, when you are talking to a newbie who is trying to learn, why not try to educate, without coming off as self important. I donít call my friends homosapiens and I donít call my dogs Canis familiaris. Iím glad that some people know all the correct species names, but just because I donít use the correct species name when refering to my scoprs, does not make me any less able to care for them or make me any less of a responsible pet owner. If you truly want to educate newbies, how about being a bit friendlier to the newbies while teaching them the correct way to do things. I donít post hear that often because the general vibe hear is not friendly. I would think you would want to encourage people to ask questions, not try to intimidate them and scare them off. Anyway, my 2 cents!!

Sorry if this was off topic, Iíll continue to read the posts in silence once more

I refer to my kids as H. sapiens (I wonít tell you what I refer to my husband as...this is a family forum after all )
It would be easier on the newbie for us to just list both that way the newbie gets spoon fed and doesnít really learn. Honestly, if you see a common name, how often do you *really* take a look at the Latin name and actually try and remember it? Not very often. Many who have been in the hobby a long time will have a list somewhere on our computers that we just copy and paste whenever needed and those lists generally do not have the common names of whatever it is we collect (because common names are crap) and thus, the common names donít get posted with the Latin names. I myself do not list the common names of my tarantulas, scorpions and snakes...itís just more work for me. But then again, my list of "pets" is rather long as it is..

Quote:

I donít use the correct species name when refering to my scoprs, does not make me any less able to care for them or make me any less of a responsible pet owner.

The question is, do you *know* the Latin names for your scorpions? If not, how do you know you are properly caring for them and that the care you are giving them is for the correct species? Thatís not a slam by the way, itís just an observation. You might be suprised how many people provide incorrect husbandry for their pets because theyíve gone strickly off some worthless website they found when typing in a common name and thus, their pet ended up dying or just barely surviving rather than thriving.
When it comes to reptiles and amphibians, listing common names is pretty easy. By the way, thatís what Meee was listing...reptiles. However, when you get into listing scorpion and tarantula species, there are a million different common names for just about every invert...thus, in the invert hobby, listing common names solely is generally not done, especially by us old timers.
Some people do list the Latin and the common names side by side, others donít. Generally, the longer someone has been in the hobby, the fewer common names youíll see them use. Itís kind of like an old cheap hat, once you outgrow it, you toss it for the better fitting one.
Yes, it can seem a bit snooty to say "google it" to a newbie....weíve all been newbies once. I think the reason some will deliberately *not* list common names is because we had to learn the Latin names the hard way ourselves because, *unlike* Homo sapiens and Canis familiaris that have *one* genus name for the whole spectrum, reptiles and especially invertebrates do *not* have just one Latin name that sums them up.

A German Sheppard, Great Dane or a Beagle are *all* Canis familiaris, even though they are different breeds, the species is the same. An Avicularia or Brachypelma are *not* all the same type tarantula althought they are all Theraphosids and each sub species has itís own proper Latin name that identifies it. "Pink Toe" is a very vague common name for an Avicularia....all Avicularia are "pink toes" (with the exception of A. metallica). "Peruvian Pink Toe" is also a very general common name that can be placed on several species of Avicularia, thus, Avicularia aurantiaca, Avicularia azuraklaasi, and Avicularia urticans just to name a few, are *all* from Peru and *all* have pink toes. The Latin names for animals are there for a reason....that is how they are officially categorized and classified and is the *only* way to render a proper, correct species identification.

If every breed of dog had a different sub species Latin name *AND* a million different common names, depending on what part of the world youíre from like invertebrates do....youíd be more inclined to use those Latin names as well in order for people to know exactly *which* species youíre talking about.
If German Shepherds were called Canis familiaris "shepardrea" but had 3 or 4 common names, Gold and black hunter, Golden Lassie, and so on that would be fine...until you got to the Yellow Labradors whoís Latin name was Canis familiaris "labreadoraea" sp. íyellowí but their common names were Yellow hunting pointer and Yellow Lassie....now how are you going to decipher which breed someone is talking about, especially if they (like pet stores) just refer to *all* of them as "yellow" or "gold"?

Latin names have their place, and their purpose. It IS important to make the effort to learn the Latin names because, in all honesty, long time hobbyists are *not* going to use the common names to appease peoplesí lack of determination to look it up and do some self learning.
Iím sure that sounds pretty holier than thou but thatís what was done to us when we were new and those who did it to us when they were new and so on and so forth....and all of you will eventually do it too (I"d be willing to bet on it) if you stay in the hobby, whatever hobby that might be, long enough.

Weíre not trying to be unfriendly, thatís just how itís done. Thatís their names...period. That is their *rightful, correct* names. Would you prefer it if, instead of calling you Dilbertrob that I opt to call you Robert the ding-o-ling? (thatís not a slam either, just used as an example) How about if I came up with something new every week? Would you even know who I was talking about? No one else would! But thatís the common name I want to put to your "official" name here on RZ and I might just come up with several of them, then contact my over seas buddies and see what kinds of slang terms they have for the term "dilbert" and how many different ways there are to say Rob and the various forms of.....just like the world does with common names of invertebrates.
If you view the use of the proper names as being "unfriendly" then donít visit any of the large reptile or invertebrate forums....youíd REALLY hate it there because thatís pretty much *all* they use and you get corrected just about every time you post a common name rather than the proper name.
The teacher didnít give you the answer sheet to your algebra so you could whip it out finished and turn it in before the end of class and consequently end up failing the test at the end of the semester because you never had to actually study....thatís why itís called "homework". Weíve all had to do it and we all have to do it

01/05/07  01:19am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: OzZy_101*   In reference to Message Id: 1119649

Quote:

Sorry if this was off topic, Iíll continue to read the posts in silence once more

I refer to my kids as H. sapiens (I wonít tell you what I refer to my husband as...this is a family forum after all )
It would be easier on the newbie for us to just list both that way the newbie gets spoon fed and doesnít really learn. Honestly, if you see a common name, how often do you *really* take a look at the Latin name and actually try and remember it? Not very often. Many who have been in the hobby a long time will have a list somewhere on our computers that we just copy and paste whenever needed and those lists generally do not have the common names of whatever it is we collect (because common names are crap) and thus, the common names donít get posted with the Latin names. I myself do not list the common names of my tarantulas, scorpions and snakes...itís just more work for me. But then again, my list of "pets" is rather long as it is..

Quote:

I donít use the correct species name when refering to my scoprs, does not make me any less able to care for them or make me any less of a responsible pet owner.

The question is, do you *know* the Latin names for your scorpions? If not, how do you know you are properly caring for them and that the care you are giving them is for the correct species? Thatís not a slam by the way, itís just an observation. You might be suprised how many people provide incorrect husbandry for their pets because theyíve gone strickly off some worthless website they found when typing in a common name and thus, their pet ended up dying or just barely surviving rather than thriving.
When it comes to reptiles and amphibians, listing common names is pretty easy. By the way, thatís what Meee was listing...reptiles. However, when you get into listing scorpion and tarantula species, there are a million different common names for just about every invert...thus, in the invert hobby, listing common names solely is generally not done, especially by us old timers.
Some people do list the Latin and the common names side by side, others donít. Generally, the longer someone has been in the hobby, the fewer common names youíll see them use. Itís kind of like an old cheap hat, once you outgrow it, you toss it for the better fitting one.
Yes, it can seem a bit snooty to say "google it" to a newbie....weíve all been newbies once. I think the reason some will deliberately *not* list common names is because we had to learn the Latin names the hard way ourselves because, *unlike* Homo sapiens and Canis familiaris that have *one* genus name for the whole spectrum, reptiles and especially invertebrates do *not* have just one Latin name that sums them up.

A German Sheppard, Great Dane or a Beagle are *all* Canis familiaris, even though they are different breeds, the species is the same. An Avicularia or Brachypelma are *not* all the same type tarantula althought they are all Theraphosids and each sub species has itís own proper Latin name that identifies it. "Pink Toe" is a very vague common name for an Avicularia....all Avicularia are "pink toes" (with the exception of A. metallica). "Peruvian Pink Toe" is also a very general common name that can be placed on several species of Avicularia, thus, Avicularia aurantiaca, Avicularia azuraklaasi, and Avicularia urticans just to name a few, are *all* from Peru and *all* have pink toes. The Latin names for animals are there for a reason....that is how they are officially categorized and classified and is the *only* way to render a proper, correct species identification.

If every breed of dog had a different sub species Latin name *AND* a million different common names, depending on what part of the world youíre from like invertebrates do....youíd be more inclined to use those Latin names as well in order for people to know exactly *which* species youíre talking about.
If German Shepherds were called Canis familiaris "shepardrea" but had 3 or 4 common names, Gold and black hunter, Golden Lassie, and so on that would be fine...until you got to the Yellow Labradors whoís Latin name was Canis familiaris "labreadoraea" sp. íyellowí but their common names were Yellow hunting pointer and Yellow Lassie....now how are you going to decipher which breed someone is talking about, especially if they (like pet stores) just refer to *all* of them as "yellow" or "gold"?

Latin names have their place, and their purpose. It IS important to make the effort to learn the Latin names because, in all honesty, long time hobbyists are *not* going to use the common names to appease peoplesí lack of determination to look it up and do some self learning.
Iím sure that sounds pretty holier than thou but thatís what was done to us when we were new and those who did it to us when they were new and so on and so forth....and all of you will eventually do it too (I"d be willing to bet on it) if you stay in the hobby, whatever hobby that might be, long enough.

Weíre not trying to be unfriendly, thatís just how itís done. Thatís their names...period. That is their *rightful, correct* names. Would you prefer it if, instead of calling you Dilbertrob that I opt to call you Robert the ding-o-ling? (thatís not a slam either, just used as an example) How about if I came up with something new every week? Would you even know who I was talking about? No one else would! But thatís the common name I want to put to your "official" name here on RZ and I might just come up with several of them, then contact my over seas buddies and see what kinds of slang terms they have for the term "dilbert" and how many different ways there are to say Rob and the various forms of.....just like the world does with common names of invertebrates.
If you view the use of the proper names as being "unfriendly" then donít visit any of the large reptile or invertebrate forums....youíd REALLY hate it there because thatís pretty much *all* they use and you get corrected just about every time you post a common name rather than the proper name.
The teacher didnít give you the answer sheet to your algebra so you could whip it out finished and turn it in before the end of class and consequently end up failing the test at the end of the semester because you never had to actually study....thatís why itís called "homework". Weíve all had to do it and we all have to do it

01/05/07  01:20am

Dilbertrob
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1120179

DMetz, that was a really well thought out and reasonable reply. I do know the species name of my scorpions, btw and they are being well cared for and are thriving. You make very valid points. The more knowledge you have, the better you are to take care of your animals. I guess my bone of contention is this: Alot of newbies get told to do the proper research before asking stupid questions. They absolutely should do the proper research for any animal before buying it. However, for alot of newbies, visiting these forums is part of their research. They come here to learn. Whatís wrong with helping them out? If someone comes here for advice and they perceive to get talked down to, what are the chances of them returning? Alienating newbies isnít going to help them learn how to take better care of their scorpions. Making people feel welcome will encourage them to ask questions. We were all newbs at some point and had stupid questions to ask. What if you didnít ask the question and your scorps suffer for that? As a community, we should do everything to welcome new members in, help them out and teach them the proper way to take care of them. I think in the end our goals are the same, I just think I would go a little easier on the newbs. I do greatly appreciate your knowledge and willingness to give advice to others on this board. I have learned alot from reading your posts.

Rob (Proud owner of two P. imperator, Biggie and Tupac)

01/05/07  02:36pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Dilbertrob   In reference to Message Id: 1120685

Quote:

DMetz, that was a really well thought out and reasonable reply.

Thank you, I was hoping that it didnít come across as snotty because that was not my intent.

Quote:

I guess my bone of contention is this: Alot of newbies get told to do the proper research before asking stupid questions. They absolutely should do the proper research for any animal before buying it. However, for alot of newbies, visiting these forums is part of their research. They come here to learn. Whatís wrong with helping them out?

And that is probably the single most frustrating part for a newbie. What is "proper research"? How the heck can someone who is new to the hobby and knows nothing about it *possibally* do "proper research" if they are not even sure what it is they are supposed to be researching? Going into these big forums and looking around is like going to China and trying to find the bathroom in a labrinth of signs that you have no clue what they even mean! I remember the feeling well and it can be downright scary and extremely frustrating. Yes, it is the duty of the old timers to help the new guys (thatís why my husband created Venom List, he got tired of everyone saying "do a search" and not helping the newbies)

Quote:

If someone comes here for advice and they perceive to get talked down to, what are the chances of them returning? Alienating newbies isnít going to help them learn how to take better care of their scorpions.

I agree. The main problem that we see in the hobby with new keepers is their unwillingness to take our advice and suggestions. Just as an example (one Iíve seen a million times) someone comes in and asks "can I keep my P. imperator in a 30 gallon tank? We say "no, thatís too large". They say "well...why not?" we tell them why and give them 101 reasons why it would be much eaiser for them as well as the scorpion if they put it in a 5 or 10 gallon tank. They come back and say "well, I just bought this 30 gallon (or I have an empty one sitting around) and Iím going to put it in that.
Then they come back a few months later asking "why wonít my scorpion eat?" We proceed to tell them why...because itís in a container that is too large for it and itís not able to find its food and advise them again to put the scorpion into a smaller container. They say "I donít want to mess around with getting another tank". Then they come back a few months after that and say "my scorpion died...WHY??"
Then you have the ones who ask a bunch of questions on care, housing, etc. we provide the answers, they donít like or agree with our answers (because they read somewhere that itís perfectly ok to keep P. imperator on sand) so they blow us off then wonder why their scorpion isnít doing so well.
THEN you get the "expert" newbies. Those who are more than happy to dish out "advice" to other new keepers when they, themselves are not even caring for their inverts correctly.
See my point?
Now granted by no means are *all* newbies this hard headed (thank God) but there are so many that are...it gets frustrating. When someone comes in and ask a question, we try our best to answer it to the best of our ability or try to provide them with links so they can obtain more information.

Quote:

Making people feel welcome will encourage them to ask questions. We were all newbs at some point and had stupid questions to ask. What if you didnít ask the question and your scorps suffer for that?

I think we do pretty good about making people feel welcome. However, we, like everyone else, are human, we have our bad days and often times, people who come in asking the questions have asked the same question time and time again. In addition, we *do* get tired of typing the same thing over and over and over. Thatís why I wish RZ had the ability to make Sticky Threads, so they could be right at the top.

Quote:

As a community, we should do everything to welcome new members in, help them out and teach them the proper way to take care of them. I think in the end our goals are the same, I just think I would go a little easier on the newbs. I do greatly appreciate your knowledge and willingness to give advice to others on this board. I have learned alot from reading your posts.

I agree and I think that we do that. However, sometimes providing the proper scientific name for a species *is* the best way to help a newbie. You are more enclined to find acurate information on any given species if you have their proper Latin name. As far as this thread in particular, I donít know if youíve read through it all, but Mee *was* being quite helpfull. It was not until cobravenom (whom weíve had other problems with in other forums as well) opted to completely hijack the thread and make a comment on something that he/she didnít even know what they were talking about. Mee was asked what species of reptiles he kept......a simple O.T question....Meee listed them....no big deal. If Ozzy *really* wanted to know the common names of them, he/she could have asked. If *anyone* was being an a** in here, it was cobravenom...not any of us who are regulars in the scorpion forum.

When idiots with a rod up their bums decide they want to browse the boards, they tend to do stupid crap like this...and thus, manage to hijack threads, get people all worked up over absolutely nothing and ruin everyoneís day......we can thank them for us old timers being the pricks that we are.

01/05/07  05:15pm

CobraVenom
View Profile

Message To: Dilbertrob   In reference to Message Id: 1120685

Very well put! I learn a lot from this forum myself. I have been working with reptiles/amphibians since my childhood but most times with wild caught (WC) animals. I bred some Elaphe (corns) 7 years ago and did well with 4 fertiles out of a pair of snows and even played around with some Lampropeltis (milks, kings). I am finally financially able to pursue my dreams of breeding a couple different kinds of snakes and maybe even a leopard gecko or two. Anyways I hope everyone had a great Xmas and New Years and God bless!

01/05/07  05:42pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: CobraVenom   In reference to Message Id: 1120972

I am by far better versed in tarantulas than I am in scorpions. Scorpions are more of my husbandís thing. I know the species that I keep but I donít really research outside of that unless I am wanting to acquire something new.

I am the kind of person, if I come across a name or word that I do not know, I plug it into my search engine and read up on it. For me personally, that is why I throw out the $10 words and tongue twisting names...half of which I can not even pronounce but know on sight. Thatís kind of my way to encourage others to look them up as well.

Learning the scientific names of the "pets" we keep is important so we can not only communicate more efficiently with others in the hobby (which ever hobby youíre into) but also so we *can* help the newbies to gather *correct* information on the species they are inquiring about.

Youíll find with me that, often times when someone comes in and asks about a particular scorpion or tarantula by their common name(s) the first thing I will do is reply to their question with a question "What is the scientific name?" I do this because, as I stated earlier, many species have very similar common names but their actual husbandry needs might be very different.

Take for example "purple tree spider"...that common name is used for some Avicularia (pink toe) species as well as Tapinauchenius (all referred to as "tree spiders"). However, without the scientific, Latin name, providing the proper care for them would be difficult because the two species have different environmental needs.
Hereís one that Iíve seen: Someone posted a question about how to care for an "orange tree spider". Well, Tapinauchenius gigas are "orange tree spiders", however, Psalmopoeus reduncas are also "orange tree spiders...except they are referred to as "orangemouth tree spiders". Their care also is very different between the two species. The person actually was inquiring about Psalmopoeus reduncas rather than Tapinauchenius gigas but had *forgotten* to add the "mouth" part to the common name.
The Latin names are worth their weight in gold when doing research and especially when trying to help a new keeper.

01/05/07  06:31pm

Elektra
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1121050

Dmetz, is it *really* *necessary* *to* *do* *this* *all* *the* *time*?

I really donít mean to be horrible but itís so grating that I canít read the spider forum because you post there so much (and I love learning about spiders and you have a lot of good stuff to say) and I know it isnít just me because I saw other people comment on it...

I canít see any way to stop this seeming like a personal attack all I can say is that Iím not aiming to do that. Itís a very offputting way of typing, a lot of places have rules against TYPING ALL IN CAPS or typin lyk diz and the *asterisk* thing is in the same ballpark. I do it very occasionally if words really need emphasis, but if you took 99% of your asterisks out of your posts it would make no difference to the content but make it much more enjoyable to read.

Sorry for the hi-jacking by the way.

01/13/07  08:47am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Elektra   In reference to Message Id: 1131256

Hereís an idea......donít read my posts.
The asterisks are for emphasis...to stress a point. Seeing as how type written words donít carry a tone or volume, we all take different routes by which to emphasis that which we are electing to point out in a particular manner. I find it less obtrusive, annoying and offensive than making my points in ALL CAPS, and.....people, yourself included, tend to pay more attention when certain things are.....set apart, IE, emphasised in one fashion or another. It may be annoying to you and thatís fine, however, it is *not* against RZs rules and Iím not going to change the way I communicate on the web. If you have a problem with my method of emphasis, feel free to contact Doug, the webmaster and I will be more than happy to discuss it with him.
No one makes you come here, no one makes you read. I *do* take this post as a personal attack because you chose to completely hijack a thread for the sole purpose of whining about it.

If you donít like the way I type, donít read my posts and, if you have anything further to say on the matter, you can take it up with me via PM.

01/15/07  06:30am

CobraVenom
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1133825

Wow its been a while since Ive read this thread but if my post upset someone I am sorry. All I was trying to do was help. And as far as another thread I am looking that up right now to find out what else someone took offense to. If I have offended anyone once again I apologize and meant no harm.

01/28/07  04:45pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area