Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Lilperez   Metz   Lilperez  
 Member  Message

Lilperez
View Profile

Meee

Itís me I got some peat moss about a month ago. Man that stuff is cheap I got a 15 pound bag for about $8.00. When she burrows it collapse on her.Why?

08/02/06  02:53pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Lilperez   In reference to Message Id: 919095

Meee

Youíre keeping it too dry, thatís why it collapses.

What you want to do with peat is, since itís already in the container with the scorpion, take the scorp out and everything else that is in the conatiner except the peat. Then take some hot water and pour it onto the peat. Mix the water into the peat real good, adding more water as needed until the peat starts to stick to the side of the container and to your hands. You donít want the peat soggy but you do want it throughly damp. Basically, you shouldnít be able to squeeze water out of it, but you should not have any dust from it either. Let it sit for about a half hour then put the scorpion (and everything else) back in.
That will help the burrowing problem.
Also, make sure that it doesnít get too dry. Emps are rainforest scorpions and they like their humidity. They arenít swamp scorpions, but they do like a good sauna.

Just FYI, for future refference, always throughly mosten peat moss before putting it into a container. Peat will repell moisture when it is very dry, however, once it has been throughly saturated, it will absorb and hold the moisture better.

08/02/06  03:05pm

Lilperez
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 919119

Meee

Thanks.

08/02/06  03:27pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area