Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

PythonMan   Meee   Metz   PythonMan   PythonMan   Meee   Metz   Meee   PythonMan   PythonMan   PythonMan   Meee   PythonMan   Meee   Metz  
 Member  Message

PythonMan
View Profile

Pet dilema.

i told my mom that i was thinking about getting an emperor scorpion and she said ok then i told her today that i was getting it tomorrow i have someone picking it up for me. can anbybody please post some information that i can show her that they are not dangerous. she thinks that all spiders and scorpions are dangerous killing machines. so can somebody help me.

07/31/06  07:28pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 915468

Pet dilemma.

well, they arent very toxic, in fact, their pinch hurts more than the sting. one of the reasons they are so good for beginners is because they dont sting often and when they do nothing really happens unless you are allergic. most scorpions actually produce 2 venoms, one for killing food that has a lot of expensive chemicals. and the other, which you would be stung with, is just used to cause pain, not to kill you.

07/31/06  07:37pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 915468

Pet dilema.

Well, hereís one. There are many, itís just that they are scattered about the WWW.
P. imperator
Also, youíll probably want to show your mom the LD50 chart, which is a guide to the toxidity of venomous animals. Remember to tell her that the *LOWER* the LD50 number the *MORE* potant the venom. The chart does not specfiaclly list P. imperator, however it *does* cover Pandinus exitialis which covers the whole Pandinus genera. Youíll notice that the LD50 number for P. exitialis is 40, now, if you were to compare that number with Leiurus quinquestriatus, whoís LD50 number is 0.25....HUGE difference in venom potency.
Hopefully that will help ease your momís mind that P. imperator are, in fact, pretty much harmless to humans. LD50

07/31/06  07:47pm

PythonMan
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 915518

Pet dilema.

so if she lets me get it. lets say iím cleaning out the water bowl and it comes up to me and stings me whats the worst possible thing that could happen to me. F.Y.I i am not allergic to bees or any type of stings.

07/31/06  07:58pm

PythonMan
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 915550

Pet dilema.

Metz iím not fully understanding the ld50 chart some scorpions numbers are .32 or .75 and others are 141.6 or 1800 whats the highest number that they go up to- i got the low number-high toxin thing.

07/31/06  08:07pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 915570

Pet dilema.

the worst that could happen is that it would be sore for like 2 days.

07/31/06  09:20pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 915570

Pet dilema.

I donít know what the highest number is, however, itís the decimal point that you want to pay attention to. Like take the LQ for example, itís venom is listed as 0.25, meaning itís not even on a full scale of one, whereas Pandenus is 40 or..40.0, so, itís well above the one tenth point, thus, a lot less potent than an LQ.

As far as what would happen if you actually did get stung....weíd all be sitting here at our monitors with our mouths hanging open because the odds of it actually *stinging* you are nil....youíre more likely to fall into a man hole on your way to school. P. imperator rarely even sting their prey. They rely quite heavily on their large, powerful pinchers to do the bulk of the work. However, getting pinched, now thatís a different story. I donít know of *anyone* who has actually gotten stung by an imperator, so, I can not tell what it would feel like, and I will not make a blanket guess based on...well, no proof basically, so.....
But....you *do* want to use common sense when working in the container. That means, you donít put your hand in to take out prey, the water dish, etc. Use tweezers and tongs to do that. That is safer and shows your mom that you are using your head and exercising caution, responsibility and common sense.

07/31/06  10:00pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 915821

Pet dilema.

well, i have been stung. it just feels like... it really doesnt. it just feels like a bee sting for like, 5 minutes, less if you treat it.

08/01/06  03:47pm

PythonMan
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 917172

Pet dilema.

well metz i gave my mom the LD50 chart and a copy of this post but she never said anything more to me so i donít know and my dad just called and said he was at the place and he got it for me and my mom is at the hospital right now with my grandparents so iíll just have to see how this whole thing turns out. iíll get back to yíall later and tell ya what happend.

08/01/06  04:49pm

PythonMan
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 917317

Pet dilema.

so since scorpions do not need a light can i put a red bulb on at night

08/01/06  05:18pm

PythonMan
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 917389

Pet dilema.

i just put it in its cage and it sems to be adjusting farely well so iím gonna throw some crickets in there. when it was in the box there was a little dixie cup full of like some frosting looking stuff can anybody tell me what it is.

08/01/06  06:02pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 917493

Pet dilema.

dont put cricketsin yet, wait until the weekend

08/01/06  09:00pm

PythonMan
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 917748

Pet dilema.

oh cause i already threw about 5 in there and it ate em already.

08/01/06  09:32pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 917807

Pet dilemma.

... youíre. lucky. usually it takes some time for them to adapt.

08/02/06  02:17am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 918360

Pet dilemma.

You got stung by an emp Meee?
Ok, now I can say that I actually know of someone whoís actually found out what a scorpionís telson is supposed to be for!
Yes, you can put a red light on it at night if it gets pretty cold in your house at night.
The stuff in the cup....your guess is as good as mine!
Whatever it was, throw it out because it doesnít sound good (unless your pet store feeds their animals frosting??? )
Just make sure you have at least 6 inches of peat moss for it, a wide, shallow water dish, a couple hides and take any uneated crickets out after a day or two. Check the container often for food remains so they donít mold. Since P. imperator are rainforest scorpions and like high humidity and lots of warmpth, things will mold more quickly so keep your eyes on the substrate.

Congrats and I hope your mom will get over her worries.

08/02/06  02:47pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area