Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

PythonMan   Meee   Alter_Bridge_Fan   Meee   Metz  
 Member  Message

PythonMan
View Profile

Gotta know

i got a ten gallon tank and iím gonna get an emperor scorpion, if i put 5-6 inches of top soil in the tank for the scoprion to burrow in, do i just regularly like every 2 weeks just change all the soil in there.

07/28/06  08:54pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 911109

Gotta know

peat moss is a better substrate. i have never used dirt or topsoil in an emps cage before so i wouldnt know

07/28/06  10:40pm

Alter_Bridge_Fan
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 911280

Gotta know

Quote:

peat moss is a better substrate. i have never used dirt or topsoil in an emps cage before so i wouldnt know

Just curious, how would you know that peat moss is better if youíve never used topsoil or dirt?

08/01/06  11:03pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: Alter_Bridge_Fan   In reference to Message Id: 918024

Gotta know

word of mouth.

08/02/06  02:15am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 918356

Gotta know

The reason that peat moss is better than top soil or "dirt" is, as Meee said, a lot of "word of mouth". Mostly from experiences that others have had in using them.
Top soil is *not* a good substrate for pretty much anything other than plants, neither is dirt.

To answer the original question, NO, donít use top soil and for goodness sake do NOT change out the substrate every couple weeks. Thatís a grade A way to completly stress out the scorpion. Not only is top soil generally filled with chemical fertilizers, it packs down like a rock and turns to mud when wet. It is a horrible burrowing medium...hence why peat moss is most often suggested.

The substrate should *never* be changed short of once a year or two unless excess mold pops up, or there is a severe mite infestation.

08/02/06  02:54pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area