Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Strigoiette   PythonMan   Strigoiette   Fbtgurl   S.a.f   Strigoiette   Meee   Metz   Strigoiette   Bugman Dave  
 Member  Message

Strigoiette
View Profile

Tiny bugs on my emperor??

I just got my emperor a few days ago and i seen that hes got these tiny white bugs on him. They dont seem to be bothering him im just wondering what they are and if i should be worried?

07/20/06  07:43pm

PythonMan
View Profile

Message To: Strigoiette   In reference to Message Id: 895804

the tiny whites bugs could be mites. you should clean your scorpion or do something to kill those bugs.

07/20/06  08:17pm

Strigoiette
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 895851

ok and how do u exactly clean a scorpion lol

07/20/06  08:19pm

Fbtgurl
View Profile

well my friend has emperors and when his had babies, they were small, white and looked like little bugs, and they normally cling to a mothers back until they can survive on their own....a pic would really help determine this...:)

07/21/06  01:46am

S.a.f
View Profile

Message To: Fbtgurl   In reference to Message Id: 896414

are they very small or small.

07/21/06  02:40pm

Strigoiette
View Profile

Message To: S.a.f   In reference to Message Id: 897119

oh there definently not babies WAY SMALLER they look like a grain of salt or even smaller id say u cant even tell what they look like there that small, there just white n u can tell that they move slowly. i could take a pic but i dont tihnk it would be useful cuz the bugs would be like a speck

07/21/06  09:10pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: Strigoiette   In reference to Message Id: 897961

most likely mites. also, a pic would help.

07/21/06  09:47pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 898034

They are probably mites. Mites come in more than one color, size and style.
What I would do is remove the scorpion from its container and put it in another, clean container that has no substrate in it. Put a water dish in it at night and take it out in the morning. Keep the container dry and, after a few days, the mites should die.
You can also, to help remove them from the scorpion, take a soft bristled pain brush and brush them off the scorpion. Youíll want to do this in a seperate container so they do not just hang out in the scorpionís regular "home" and get right back on the scorpion.
After you have the scorpion in a different container, check the substrate in its home and, if needed, change out all the substrate if a lot of mites are present.

07/22/06  12:55am

Strigoiette
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 898408

Well theres no more bugs i cleaned it all out and i havent seen any since =D thanx for the advice guys

07/28/06  09:42pm

Bugman Dave
View Profile

The "tiny bugs" are mites and they can come from a sloppy tank, too much moisture and/or too much organic debris in your creatureís tank. Clean the tank thoroughly not using anything but boiling water (as you donít want to introduce anything into your petís environment that could contaminate it), allow your scorpion to get accustomed to itís new surroundings and them gently wash or spray down your scorpion. This might not get rid of all the mites as they can hide in its booklung spiracles and under tergal plate edges, but generally, they will not hang about if there is no extraneous food for them to feed on.

08/12/06  09:03am

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area