Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Toothless One   Alter_Bridge_Fan   Metz   Toothless One   Metz   Alter_Bridge_Fan   Toothless One  
 Member  Message

Toothless One
View Profile

Tail less Whip scorpions

Hi All,
I just came back from my holiday in Musina South Africa (Right at the border of Zimbabwe).
I caught some reptiles(Bitis caudalis, Arietans, Python sebae natalensis, Dispholidus typus, Naja mossambica, Dendroaspis polylepis) & insects. incl. Parabuthus transvaalicus, Parabuthus capensis & Amblypygi, Iím not sure wich exact specie though.

I would like to know if any of you guys keep these beasties(Amblypygi). Obviously I dont have much info on them, perhaps you can help me out with a care-sheet or something? umm, I also would like to know if they are capable of inflicting a serious bite lol. I had it on my hand for a while, but since I dont know what the venom might be like, & the fact that the closest hospital is about 180km away...I kept it brief.

I will try & see if I can post a picture some time.

thanx

07/03/06  06:53am

Alter_Bridge_Fan
View Profile

Message To: Toothless One   In reference to Message Id: 864281

Tail less Whip scorpions

As far as all the research Iíve done on them, itís all said that theyíre harmless. They may pinch, but theyíre not dangerous.

However, those Parabuthus that you found are EXTREMELY dangerous. Most scorpions, if not all, in the Buthidae family should be avoided because of their venom strength. Theyíll kill you. Simple as that. They mustíve been some pretty cool finds. Dang Indiana thereís no scorpions of any kind...

07/03/06  09:00am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Alter_Bridge_Fan   In reference to Message Id: 864355

Tail less Whip scorpions

Tailless whips are generaly non venomous. I donít know if thatís true for *all* species, but I think so, however they are extreamly fragile and tend to be quite nervous and skittish. I havenít kept that particular species though so I canít really tell you much about their care.
The Parabuthis however....ditto what Bridge said. They are highly venomous, quite aggressive and speedy so donít handle those, feed and maintence with care and caution, especially since the nearest hospital is quite a ways from you. When keeping hots of any sort, be they snakes or scorpions, it is a very good idea to have antivenom on hand just in case because accidents can happen.

07/03/06  04:12pm

Toothless One
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 864941

Tail less Whip scorpions

Hey ppl, thanx for the info & advice, though, I can assure you, I know what Iím doin. Itís just the T.w.scorps. I have never encountered those before...

So I take it, no-one knows something about their breeding & feeding cycles?

07/07/06  10:32am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Toothless One   In reference to Message Id: 871148

Tail less Whip scorpions

I have no clue, however if you go HERE there are people who will probably know more about them.
I kind of figured that you probably knew what you were getting into with the scorpions seeing as how you not only got a hold of some hot snakes, but also were able to use proper names and communicate very well, but...we still tend to try and cover the bases because there are many who know nothing about scorpions and tend to treat them as toys.

07/07/06  03:32pm

Alter_Bridge_Fan
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 871604

Tail less Whip scorpions

Quote:

there are many who know nothing about scorpions and tend to treat them as toys.

Boy itís nice to have someone on the forum who knows what theyíre doing! I frequent other venomous invert forums for that very reason. For the newbies out there, just a word of advice: when you use scientific names, and do research prior to asking questions (not using this site as your sole source), it makes us think better of you. You appear more intelligent and competent. Just some advice.

07/07/06  10:09pm

Toothless One
View Profile

Message To: Alter_Bridge_Fan   In reference to Message Id: 872159

Tail less Whip scorpions

Iíll take it as a compliment then. Thank you.

Fortunately I stay in a creature rich country, & personal interest encouraged me to broaden my knowledge of reptiles & invertebrates all over the world. Luckily there were a couple of old experienced friends that understood this passion, & were prepared to always answer a "dumb " question, show a safe handling, where to look for what etc,

So actually Iím a Novice too...coz thereís many things I donít know either, with lots of questions, & Iím learning sumthing new everyday.

oh, Metz, thanx for the link.

07/09/06  06:26am

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area