Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

White Raven   Joe blow   Metz   Joe blow   Alan Johnson   Herpetology   Meee   Joe blow   SolidSnake411   Meee   Metz   Meee   Middle finger   SpikeTheDragon   Meee   T&C   Dmetz   ILUVSCORPIONS   ImTheDaddy   ImTheDaddy   Dmetz   Rangus  
 Member  Message

White Raven
View Profile

Does anyone here hold their scorpions?

I was just wondering if you do cus some people do and others dont. I dont have one by the way and was wondering how easy are they to keep?

07/02/06  02:56pm

Joe blow
View Profile

Message To: White Raven   In reference to Message Id: 863129

ahah yea i hold ma scorpion all the time i have a red claw and he was quite aggressive but i tamed him their fairly easy to keep you dont need a heat light for them what i use it an under tank heating pad and i mist him twice a day and i just use forest substrat you can get it at any petland and it smells good too ahaha they eat about 5-10 crickets a week well that what i fee dhim and they dont hurt alot when they pinch and sting so you can hold them without worrieing about getting hurt

07/02/06  04:28pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Joe blow   In reference to Message Id: 863260

Ahhh Joe, so full of life, intrigue..and BS, albeit the childhood fantasies in our time.

Scorpions arenít any more difficult to keep than tarantulas for the most part but they are different in their care requirements. Generally they are not held because, unlike tarantulas, scorpions tend to be a lot more testy and seeing as how they can pinch as well as sting whereas tarantulas just bite (and kick hair), scorpions can do more damage overall. There are some species that some will handle from time to time, but those are generally limited to the Pandinus species.

07/02/06  11:05pm

Joe blow
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 863915

OK Well METZ i was just telling him that i DO hld my scorpion and if you read the title of the forum you would kno that the question he is asking is, Does anyone here hold their scorpions? and i think i answerd that questiong i would really like to be able to post some things without you jumping on my back and critizicing every thing i say! and by allmeans if i give incorrect information correct me but i would appreciate it if you wouldnt throw your 2 cents in every time i answer a post like this one did i give any incorrect info? no i did NOT i simply stated that i DO hold ma scorpion.

07/05/06  02:04pm

Alan Johnson
View Profile

Raven
Every forum on R.Z has it,s hot topic and on hear at the moment it is this one,
The point Joe Blow does not make when saying that he holds his scopion is that it is his own personal choice to pick his up.
The other thing that he fails to point out evey time he posts this reply is, all the care sheets and all the research on this advises you not to as it causes the scorpion undue stress (i would not like to be picked up by my dangly bits or my bum)
AJ

07/05/06  03:40pm

Herpetology
View Profile

Message To: Alan Johnson   In reference to Message Id: 867969

i can put my emperor and desert scorpion in my mouth lol no lie

07/09/06  09:07am

Meee
View Profile

Message To: Herpetology   In reference to Message Id: 874425

thats nice, no one cares. go put a lq in your mouth.

07/09/06  07:38pm

Joe blow
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 875296

AHAHAHA THAT WAS GREAT!!

07/09/06  11:20pm

SolidSnake411
View Profile

Message To: Joe blow   In reference to Message Id: 875710

ppl on the scorp forums are ruder then on the snakes cant we all just get along and tolerate ignorance when it pokes his head out

08/07/06  01:20am

Meee
View Profile

Message To: SolidSnake411   In reference to Message Id: 927059

no. the whole point of this site is to END ignorance in animal care.

08/07/06  10:30pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 928550

Quote:

no. the whole point of this site is to END ignorance in animal care.

Exactly
There is so much misinformation on the WWW as it is, why should we add to it...much less *encourage* it?

08/07/06  11:16pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 928646

because people are lazy and expect others to accept that and compensate for them. they dont want to have to change and try to convince us that we are wrong, which, in the end wont work so it would be easier just to change. even if they dont want to, they refuse to just say they changed so we will stop correcting them.

08/08/06  01:58am

Middle finger
View Profile

yeah. but it just make ur scorp strees and lost appetite. b,t,w they will happy if u just feed them. make them secure and peace ok.

08/09/06  08:56am

SpikeTheDragon
View Profile

Message To: Middle finger   In reference to Message Id: 930845

do pet scorpions have poision in there stingers? and if so when handling it and it stung u wouldnt u get poisined? or even die?

08/10/06  05:06pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: SpikeTheDragon   In reference to Message Id: 933264

no, scorpions dont have poison. they have venom. it depends on the toxicity of the scorpion whether you die or not.

08/11/06  05:52pm

T&C
View Profile

easy to keep donít advise holding the venomous or not thatís a big stinger

12/07/06  05:42pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: T&C   In reference to Message Id: 1086653

Quote:

easy to keep donít advise holding the venomous or not thatís a big stinger

All scorpions are venomous.

12/08/06  02:51pm

ILUVSCORPIONS
View Profile

Yes, I hold mine all the time and if you get one you should get a red-claw emperor scorpion because they never sting you but they do pinch and you cant really feal it they also can handle alot of pressure (meaning if you mess with it its not gonna try to sting you and stuff) and they are really easy to take care of all you need is some coconut fiber for the bottom layer of the tank and a rock or something to let them hind under and a water bowl and some crickets or any other kind of bug and youíll also need to spray the tank with like a spray bottle 2-3 times a week and last a heating pad to put under the tank "NOT NEEDED" but you can get one for it if you want

12/15/06  02:27am

ImTheDaddy
View Profile

Message To: ILUVSCORPIONS   In reference to Message Id: 1095835

Quote:

heating pad to put under the tank

You shouldnt really put the heat mat under the tank as scorpions burrow to escape the heat. Place the UTH on the side of the tank and if the scorpion wants to escape from the heat it can burrow. You may want to have 2 hides in the tank. Place the water dish near the UTH (on the side of the tank) and that will help to keep the humidity up.

hope this helps

ITD

12/15/06  06:09am

ImTheDaddy
View Profile

Quote:

heating pad to put under the tank

You shouldnt really put the heat mat under the tank as scorpions burrow to escape the heat. Place the UTH on the side of the tank and if the scorpion wants to escape from the heat it can burrow. You may want to have 2 hides in the tank. Place the water dish near the UTH (on the side of the tank) and that will help to keep the humidity up.

I never hold my scorpion as it stresses her out and i dont fancy a pinch or a sting. Some people feel the need to handle there scorps i just like watching them.

ITD

12/15/06  06:13am

Dmetz
View Profile

Quote:

Yes, I hold mine all the time and if you get one you should get a red-claw emperor scorpion because they never sting you but they do pinch and you cant really feal it they also can handle alot of pressure (meaning if you mess with it its not gonna try to sting you and stuff)

I donít want to sound like a b***h here, but, it is this kind of "advise" that tends to get people (and inverts) injured and/or killed.
It is this kind of, what I call "puppy and kitten" attitude toward invertebrates that makes the hobby look bad.
This is a very generalized assumption about a species, and is *not* an across the board, accurate depiction. I know of *plenty* of people who have indeed been stung by Pandenus sp. and while the venom is mild, to say that they "never* sting, is a misgiving.
If a person is going to handle invertebrates, that is their choice and their right, however, to try and pass off *any* venomous animal as *harmless* is, IMO, very short sighted and not very wise.

In addition, to say that they can handle "a lot of presser" is, again, IMO, an extremely selfish, ignorant assumption to make of a primitive, instinctual animal.
Stress is *NEVER* good for an invert.

12/15/06  06:11pm

Rangus
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1096368

I agree. These animals kick obscene amounts of A55. You should remember why they k1ck s0 much A55. They are predators. They feed a simple slot for attention we all crave(subconsciously or Sub-consciously) and want to appease. Life and/or death. If you can make the setting perfect for the beast......... You reap the live naturalistic encore. Life and death struggle at your fingertips. If you want to see the "real deal", donít be a moron. Good comes to those that wait, or in my eyes, those who choose to comprehend.

12/17/06  07:40am

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area