Fluffy says Hi

hi fluffy!

07/02/06  04:22pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 863250

Fluffy says Hi

Hey Fluffy!!!!!!
Does Fluffy have stacked rocks to climb into?

07/02/06  11:11pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 863929

Fluffy says Hi

o, forgot to ask, how deep is your substrate and what are your temps/humidity?

07/03/06  01:04am

Howasaur
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 864121

Fluffy says Hi

yes, fluffy does have stacked rocks, and other objects for her to hide under, there are many times where i dont see her for many days at a time, when i got her the guy told me he hand fed her crickets...this method has never worked. she eats the very occasional spider, but every month she does eat a live mouse, and seems to immensely enjoy this. as for the substrata i use calci sand, at about 4 inches deep. temps are 90-100 in the day and 70-80 at night even as high as 75-85 at night. and being an african desert scorpion i do not provide her any more than what is in the room. i have never seen her dig, burrows, or make any attempt to either, and only climbs the rocks to reach another hiding place...she is very docile, and has never made a threatening move to me, not that she wont, but regardless is a very calm, timid scorpion, and would make a great starter..as for a water source she always has a "water pillow" on the cool side of her tank

07/03/06  09:09pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Howasaur   In reference to Message Id: 865336

Fluffy says Hi

Well, all sounds great except for the vertebrate prey and the water pillow. Scorpions and tarantulas *can not* utilize those things and they are only good for crickets and roaches. Take that thing out and offer a wide, shallow water dish for one week out of every month. Also, those temps are insanely high and not necessary. I realize that in the wild the temperatures get that hot, but, you must remember, in the wild they are not behind glass with restricted air flow. Also, hand feeding is just not wise, period. If you just put a couple crickets in the container and leave them there for a couple days the scorpion will nab them at its leisure.
This species generaly does not burrow, hense the stacked rocks for it to squeeze between.
Oh, and do *not* feed it spiders. The venom of scorpions and spiders is different and while scorpions are immune to their own venom, they are not immune to other types of venom. Rarely have deaths occured from a scorpion eating a spider or vice versa but it has happened and for goodness sakes *do not* feed live vertebrate prey, that is an accident waiting to happen. Vertebrate prey should not be a staple part of any invertís diet in the first place, however, if you choose to feed them occasionally as a treat of sorts, make sure you only feed frozen thawed...for the scorpionís safety.
Also, whatís with the "warm side and cool side" thing? They are not reptiles. The container should be of a moderate temperature (about 80 during the day and 70 at night) for the entire container.

07/03/06  09:19pm

Howasaur
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 865352

Fluffy says Hi

thank you for the heads up on the water dishes, the temps, and the burrowing info, i appreciate that...however, on any care sheet that i have read they all list spiders..including some tarantulas in their natural diet in the wild, and have never had a problem feeding any of my scorps garden variety spiders...it looks like what happens when you give a kid a candy bar...they LOVE spiders, on the other hand i hear what you are saying in regards to the venom and now find myself in a quandry(advice vs. experience) as far as feeding mice goes.....i have been feeding my scorps pinky and fuzzy mice for years now...the only thing i have ever seen a mouse do when confronting a hungry scorp is run. of course the size of the scorp decides whether it can eat a mouse or not...the smallest scorp ever to get a mouse in my house was a desert hairy eating a small fuzzy(good show by the way) i tried to feed a p. imperator a full grown mouse once when i first started scorps, but it was unable to subdue the mouse(call it ameteur ignorance) as for them eating a dead mouse....i have never seen or heard of that working...from what i have seen scorps NEVER take dead food. i am sure you not only have more scorps than i do and more knowledge, what i have listed above is strictly from my experiences with the scorps i have owned, and i have never lost a scorp due to a bad feed, live mice or eating spiders. by the way what do you feed your scorps...just crickets? worms? any suggestions for a flat rock that refuses to eat anything but her monthly mouse?

07/04/06  02:17pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Howasaur   In reference to Message Id: 866313

Fluffy says Hi

Well, I donít know where youíve been reading care sheets, but Iíve never seen one that lists spiders as part of an acceptable *captive* menu item. However, that being said, sure, in the wild they will occasionally eat spiders, as well as other scorpions, however, we must remember that when they are placed in a container and kept in our homes, they are "not" in the wild. Also, wild caught prey can kill them, mostly because of fertilizers, insecticides and other chemicals that are sprayed or dumped on the ground or in the air. The main reason keepers shy away from feeding wild caught prey, other venomous prey and vertebrate prey is for the scorpionís (or tarantula) safety. We often spend hard earned money and sometimes a LOT of it on our inverts and thus, we donít want them to get injured or die, hence, we take precautions in how we house them and what we feed them, subject them to etc. In addition, we must also bear in mind that the fatality rate of inverts in the wild is *much* higher than it is in captivity *because* we, the keepers, make sure that they are not subjected to the same hazzards that exist in nature.
As far as feeding pre killed prey, *yes* scorpions *will* eat them, mine do all the time. However, there *are* those who will not and thus, that too must be taken into consideration with the individual scorpion and their preferences.
Iím not trying to tell you "donít feed live mice or spiders to your scorpions" as that, of course, is your choice. All I am saying is to consider other, more "natural" prey that *are* more common in their staple diets in the wild. I have a real hard time believing that any scorpion will *not* eat live crickets or roaches and the *only* way I can see that being the case is if the prey is only left in with the scorpion for a few minutes then removed because the scorpion did not grab it up right away. With some of the more docile scorpions such as P. imperator and H. troglodytes, they tend to *not* attack their prey right off the bat unlike Buthids will.
As far as what I feed my scorpions, I donít feed crickets at all, to *any* of my inverts because I despise crickets and they have a tendency to carry nematodes; and when you pay $350 for *one* tarantula...you *donít* want them dying from nematode infestation. I raise my own meal worms, super worms and roaches and that is what I feed to all of my inverts, tarantulas, scorpions, centipedes, etc. I do not feed vertebrate prey to any of my inverts except the occasional pinky mouse treat to my T. blondi and my A. avic...my snake gets the mice.
My flat rock especially loves roaches, but...you canít buy "feeder" roaches at the pet stores. It will also eat melies or super worms, however, when I feed those, I put them on the top of the scorpionís rock structure so they have to "climb" down, or, I put them dirrectly in front of the scorpion. I donít like to feed worms to my trog. because it tends to make a mess of them and they arenít itís favorite menu item. What you can try is to either order some roaches online or get some crickets, place 2 or 3 off appropriate size (not larger than 1/3 the scorpionís body length, *not* including tail) in with the scorpion and put a small dish (like a small jar lid or bottle cap) of cricket/roach food right next to the scorpionís favorite hide out. When the crickets or roaches come out to look for food, it will be right there close to where the scorpion is and BAM, scorpy grabs its dinner while the prey is trying to grab its self some dinner.
I have done this many times with my scorpions as well as some of my smaller tarantulas who donít like to venture outside their burrows and when smart bugs donít venture inside their burrows or hides.
Since scorpions and tarantulas are ambush predators, set up a good "ambush" for their prey and feed your scorpion(s) at night when they are most active.

07/06/06  06:06pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area