Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Jake_5   Mitch2558   Meee   Metz  
 Member  Message

Jake_5
View Profile

Is this okay?

Well, I wonder what to put land for my emperpor scorpion?
Is sand okay? Or what?
What types of land should I put in this 5 gallons?

06/16/06  01:40pm

Mitch2558
View Profile

Message To: Jake_5   In reference to Message Id: 835873

Sand is a no no!!

Sand is a big no no!!!!
Use peat moss.
Emps are not a sand dwelling scorpion.
Peat moss helps to maintain humidity.

06/16/06  07:56pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: Mitch2558   In reference to Message Id: 836328

Sand is a no no!!

sand is horrible, emperor scorps are a rainforest species, use either peat moss or dirt.there are care sheets here and you obviously dont know a lot about imp. scorps so look at them before buying the scorp.

06/18/06  02:18pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 838371

Sand is a no no!!

As the others have said...sand is a no no for P. imperator.
The caresheets that are here are *ok* but take them with a grain of salt.
What I would recommend for substrate would be peat moss. Soil is ok but tends to get muddy under high humidity, which imps require and is more prone to mold.
You want to put enough substrate in so the scorpion can burrow, about one inch of substrate per inch of the scorpionís length.
Do not put light on it and if you use heating divices, put them on the *side* of the tank near the water dish and not on the bottom of the tank. Make sure your scorpion as a couple hides to choose from and a wide, shallow water dish that is large enough for them to climb into but is shallow enough that they can easily climb out, or, put some slate or smooth stones in the water dish if it is too deep. Too deep would be anything that is taller than the scorpion its self. The ideal depth should be up to the top of the scorpionís legs.
They like their homes to be saunas (hence, rainforest species) so have their temperature around 75 to 90 degrees F. and their humidity around 80+%. It is ok to let the temps and humidity flucuiate, especially during the eveings and overnight, as they should drop at night.

06/18/06  07:49pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area